Emira Issues - from final production cars

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This table summarises known issues with production dealer demo and customer cars reported by the owner or someone test driving the demo car. This is for faults, not perceived shortcomings in the design.

The purpose of this thread is for reporting issues, clarifying what the issues are and how many cars are affected (if known), possible workarounds or fixes, and details of official solutions. Off topic posts will be deleted.

Anyone who would like to report a fault but does not want to post it on here is welcome to send info to @TomE via private message and it can be added anonymously.

Issues with known resolutions are highlighted in green.

IssueDescriptionKnown OccurrencesReported ByResolutionLinks
Wind noise and window sealsMis-sealing of windows to window seal causing wind noise
1​
@Markc[tbc]Thread
Steering pumpServo fault resulting in intermittent failure
2​
@1stczechemira
@hml_xy
Recall warranty replacement on early EU cars (first 30ish)Thread
Boot closureBoot sticky to close
"some"​
@MistralMay need adjustment. Needs to be closed firmly. Pressing down on hatch will close it fullyPost
Boot hatch water retentionHatch frame fills with water due to incorrect composite gluing
2​
@ott
1 UK owner (anonymous)
Warranty replacementThread
Paintwork orange peelSeen on some UK demo cars
"some"​
[needs more evidence][tbc]
Manual gear knob etchingMachining of gear positions on knob appears rough
1​
@Markc[tbc]Thread
ECU faultUK demo and early customer cars show Check Engine Light, "limp mode" or "reduced acceleration" warnings
12​
5 UK demo cars
@FarmerJ
@shaank
@Mh59
@Lots_Of_Trouble
Several on Facebook
Software update required, due in Jan-23. Fixed for some by replacing ECUThread
ECU software update problemsSome dealers having difficulty installing Jan-23 ECU software update
"some"​
@Markc[tbc]Thread
Door seal imperfectionsDoor seals fitted poorly and show some wrinkles
"a few"​
@Bilbao-Emira (on Bilbao demo)
@Emiragirl (on Central demo)
@1stczechemira
@AudR8 (on JCT demo)
@scoates
Dealers should be able to rectify (or improve), also possible to DIYThread
Broken part in door lock mechanismDoor won't open
1​
@hml_xyWarranty replacement of broken partPost
SOS warningSystem takes long time to reconnect after signal loss
1​
@FarmerJ[tbc]Post
Seat belt mounting bolt exposedBolt cover missing
1​
Collecting Cars car for sale / @NeilS[tbc]Post
Seat belts jammedBelts not usable
"a few"​
@duff
1 on Facebook
Warranty fix, Lotus field engineer attended immediately. Fix resulted in second occurrence, also fixedThread
Wipers won't switch to fastest speedAfter time in auto-sensing mode, the wipers won't manually switch to fastest speed
"many"​
Harry's Garage video
@duff
@Markc
@hml_xy
@ott
@Mh59
@JWJ9000
Software update due from Lotus in Jan-23Thread and Thread
Brake discs and pads corroded and fracturedBrake discs heavily corroded and pads fractured 400 miles after delivery
1​
@Mh59Warranty replacement. Dealer and Lotus investigating causePost
Brake pad material stuck to discAppears as an unswept area on the disc, probably caused by pads sticking to discs when damp and left for long period
4​
@Sid
@KJD
@donskibeat
@Evotion
Dealer reviewing, likely warranty replacement of pads and clean discsPost
Tracker app alertsPush reporting not working from app for factory-fitted Scorpion S5 tracker
1​
@Mh59New version of Scorpion app published 1 Feb 2023 and fixes the issueThread
Cross-gate shift cable jammed in sub-zero temperaturesAble to select 3/4 (or 1/2 or 5/6) but unable to move shifter left/right
1​
1 UK owner (anonymous)Moisture inside shift cable freezes. Interim fix is to run engine without driving, so heat soak frees the cable (driving the car increases air flow and slows the unfreezing). Full fix is cable replacement under warranty.
Demist not workingAir flow directed to face or foot vents, not to windscreen
5-6​
@Jimblob
@duff
@NeilS
2-3 UK dealers
Lotus investigating issueThread
Transmission fluid leakSmoke and oil vapour from engine bay
1​
@Lots_Of_TroubleLeaking hose replaced under warranty Thread
Unable to select gearLikely gear linkage needs adjustment but could be gearbox fault
1​
Reported on FacebookDealer reviewingPost
Stuck in first gearGear linkage needed adjustment
1​
@KimmaxDealer fixedThread
Auto Hold failureWarning message on driver display
3​
@jcyl
@Sport190
@JWJ9000
Software issue awaiting Lotus fix. Ignition off, lock car, wait 15 mins, unlock appears to clear it temporarily.Post
Light stalk not working as per handbook'0' tab not working as expected, RESET button not clearing Trip A
2​
@Sizona
@Wonza
Software issue, due to be fixed in update in Apr-23Post

Last edited:
OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Other items reported that are features of the car rather than faults
  • Transmission noise at low revs in 1st/2nd gear - characteristic of the Toyota gearbox
  • Inside of windscreen misting up easily - also clears easily (thread here)
  • Water running off outside of boot hatch when opened and running into engine bay - usually doesn't run into boot/trunk space (hold the hatch horizontal for a moment when opening and it will run off away from the boot) and shouldn't cause problems in the engine bay
  • Rev hang with manual gearbox - working as intended (thread here)
  • Tyres skipping on full lock - a characteristic of the steering design (thread here)
  • Headlights misting internally - common problem with LED headlamps in cold/damp weather and will usually clear with increased ambient temperature

Jon_N

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In fairness, most new cars will have some form of snagging, although it’s typically a small rattle rather than a major & obvious fault

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Orange peel is in every new car these days and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just something we need to get used to seeing as polishing it out is a dangerous decision. Keep as much clear on your car as you can. There isn't much if it to begin with . About the thickness of a piece of paper.

https://newoldcars.com/orange-peel-why-your-new-car-paint-may-look-so-bad/
Should it be on a new Lotus though with the investment they have made in the paint shop?
Demo I viewed last week was worse than any car I've had in last 6 years

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Should it be on a new Lotus though with the investment they have made in the paint shop?
Demo I viewed last week was worse than any car I've had in last 6 years
Absolutely! Read the article...yes, it's long. But it's the best explanation as to WHY orange peel exists in the first place.

In order to completely remove or reduce orange peel, you must sand at certain points in the painting process. This takes labor and time. Again, orange peel is not BAD. It can actually be helpful in some ways. I'd rather see orange peel and have a good clear thickness than runs, dirt nubs and fish eyes in my factory paint.
Also, orange peel is one way that may help determine repaints in future classics, etc.

1stczechemira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My first real car issue:
- recall for the servo steering pump
- my actual car had problems with less/no servo support at low rpms/shortly after the start of the engine
- the pump came in about 3 working days after ordering it (would be more quick if there was no customs border between GB/EU 👎:mad:)
- replaced, now everything fine :cool:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My first real car issue:
- recall for the servo steering pump
- my actual car had problems with less/no servo support at low rpms/shortly after the start of the engine
- the pump came in about 3 working days after ordering it (would be more quick if there was no customs border between GB/EU 👎:mad:)
- replaced, now everything fine :cool:
That bodes well regards replacement time for parts at least!
Thanks for sharing and glad to hear everything is good again 😀

1stczechemira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The servo steering pump is an original Toyota part. Seen after being disassembled.

It was a Recall by Lotus for cars from a certain interval of VIN numbers. So all cars from that interval will be repaired regardless if the pump works (not my case) or doesn't (my case).

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Its a brand new car so I expect some recalls. Lets put things into perspective though.
The 718 GT4 when released had engine conrod failure issues, so whole new engines needed to be stripped down (same engine #) or replaced (new engine #). Brand new delivered cars were in the shop for weeks. How's that for a quality benchmark?

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes every manufacturer has its faults my mate was one of them with an issue with his porsche. But the customer service was brilliant he got a new engine a high end luxury car to drive while he waited several freebies lunches track days and extended warranty.
What would lotus be able to do in that situation. 🤔

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Try searching for problem Ferrari/McLaren/Lambo/etc. on you tube you will find very quickly the purchase price has very little to do with problem incidence.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Any issue you find, I think should be discussed to let others know what to look out for. Even if it's small things it is still helpful to know what to look out for. This is basically one of the most important parts of a car forum amongst other great discussions.

Also might help the people at Hethel catch other items they may have missed. I don't see any negatives with this topic.

Last edited:

ott

Reaction score
Rear hatch of my car will be replaced, because its frame fills with water when raining. Diagnosed as problem with glueing composite panels together. Its not possible to check this visually. When car has seen some rain, then its easy as you will hear how water flows inside of hatch frame when its lifted. Temporary fix as advised by Lotus is to drill drain hole. Lets see how long it takes for new hatch to be delivered ?

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Rear hatch of my car will be replaced, because its frame fills with water when raining. Diagnosed as problem with glueing composite panels together. Its not possible to check this visually. When car has seen some rain, then its easy as you will hear how water flows inside of hatch frame when its lifted. Temporary fix as advised by Lotus is to drill drain hole. Lets see how long it takes for new hatch to be delivered ?
This is interesting in a bad way. When I tested the car in Boston I asked them to open the rear hatch and water ran out of the hatch. The salesman had a rag and wiped up the water quickly. He said it was just the test car that had this issue. Sounds like there may be more to the story. Has Lotus corrected the issue?

ott

Reaction score
This is interesting in a bad way. When I tested the car in Boston I asked them to open the rear hatch and water ran out of the hatch. The salesman had a rag and wiped up the water quickly. He said it was just the test car that had this issue. Sounds like there may be more to the story. Has Lotus corrected the issue?
Lower part of the hatch collects water due to its design and this then drips into engine compartement when hatch is opened. Thats another issue. I though it rains often enough in UK so they would have noticed it. Could also be that production version of the hatch was tested only in Atacama desert.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Please keep us updated on the progress... sorry to hear about that problem. Hopefully it comes soon.

Well.... sooner than a Lotus soon. ;)

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can confirm the servo pump recall. My car had it as well and it was taken care of before I took delivery.

No wind noise issues.
My Emira hasn't seen rain yet, so I can't comment on the rear hatch water issues.
But mine makes squeaky noises when lifting it, which in my opinion is a fault as its definitely less haptic quality than the rest of the car which feels very good.

Panel tolerance was adjusted by my dealer pre delivery (at least he said so). Paint job is fine.

mikeerhymes

Reaction score
Less than a mile traveled from MD in a brand new SVJ before the engine cut out. Back to the MD for 2 weeks for them to diagnose as loose earth strap….

The Emira will have faults and recalls will likely happen, it’s quite naive to think otherwise on a car radically different to anything Lotus have produced previously. If you’re taking an early delivery, expect to have more niggles than someone with a late ‘23 ETA.

The V6 should be the safer option as it’s tried and tested. I’m on the i4 list, no doubt that will produce currently undiscovered issues by introducing a new power train? And if it doesn’t, that’s a win!

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To my understanding we have one more to add to the list:
I am lacking the appropriate wording to explain it in English, surely anybody here will help.
On the Demo car that arrived this week in Bilbao I spotted on both sills what I consider a bad fitting of the rubber strip on top of the carpet. I forgot to take pictures, you can barely spot it on the video I took of the inside, I also saw on the video of the Japanese car, and on one of the yellow demos in UK, and I thought may these cars where not final custom version, but I just saw it also on the customer car just delivered in Hethel.
Confirmation from members in here with customer cars delivered would be appreciated, and if Lotus is aware and solutions to this issue for both existing and new deliveries

Picture of !st Hethel collection: @shaank could confirm if he sees this as an issue

PXL-20221111-114611205.jpg

Last edited: