Emira Issues - from final production cars

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I suspect it’s due to storage conditions at BCA at Upper Heyford prior to delivery. Should have been picked up in PDI.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a folder with a LOT of photos of Emiras, from VP Cars, to customer cars, and none of the cars in any of the photos have any rust on the rotors with the exception of ONE photo of an Emira sitting in front of an Italian dealership, so this phenomenon has to be limited to cars that have left the factory and were stored elsewhere before the customer received it.

Here's a picture of an Emira on the production line, and you can clearly see the condition of the rotors, and how much of the rotor surface area the pads are actually supposed to cover.

TLF_Emira_Production_Line-25.jpg.69ab7a7c6a6fbb93029175cd91b4cba2 copy.jpg

Out of all the photos I have, here's the only one that showed a hint of rust:

305845576_806116480516960_1294801391679103350_n.jpg

This doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, but rather something that seems to be happening at either certain dealerships, storing facilities after they've left the factory, or perhaps sitting on transport trucks long enough to be exposed to humidity.

I don't see it as a panic issue, but rather something the dealerships should be responsible for, and something that's easily remedied.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I suspect it’s due to storage conditions at BCA at Upper Heyford prior to delivery. Should have been picked up in PDI.
It is. The cars I think have been stored outside at BCA. Couple of weeks back they had delays with the delivery team. Turns out the pads and brake discs had corroded and stuck together on my car. So they changed the front discs and pads before delivery to me.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Isn't the rust on the green Emira's rotors just normal surface rust from washing the car? Surface rust can appear on a rotor within a few minutes and just gets scrubbed away when you next drive the car. Some detailers take the car for a 30-second drive after washing, and hit the brakes a couple of times to prevent this.

You can also use a product such as Hyde's Rustopper.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Uncoated cast iron can show rust within seconds of moisture contact. Fortunately, at least based upon my experience, that rust is quickly removed when the brakes are applied. I rarely have to wash any car because I keep them clean of dust with a California duster, and if needed, spray 3D waterless car wash, wipe (by dragging a microfiber towel over the beads), and then buff. Thus, the rotors rarely get wet unless I get caught in the rain.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Isn't the rust on the green Emira's rotors just normal surface rust from washing the car? Surface rust can appear on a rotor within a few minutes and just gets scrubbed away when you next drive the car. Some detailers take the car for a 30-second drive after washing, and hit the brakes a couple of times to prevent this.

You can also use a product such as Hyde's Rustopper.
Yes on the green car but there are cars that were due to be delivered with pads stuck to the discs so they had to replaced and delay delivery. Some which escaped the PDI process have been delivered with seriously pitted discs at the base or cracked pads. Something to be aware of.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If BCA had simply sprayed the pads with brake cleaner spray before trying to move the cars, this likely wouldn't have happened. Brakleen usually releases weather-adhered pads in all but the absolutely worst cases.

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
Why do they go to BCA? Why not ship the cars straight to the despairing customers/dealers?

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Because Lotus appointed BCA as their partner for logistics, distribution, PDI checks and handling of traded-in cars.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One wonders what issues they ARE catching during PDI, given the severity of the ones that slip through.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are a lot of cars held at BCA waiting fixes. I know of cars that completed build in Oct, Nov and Dec and are at BCA still not delivered to customers.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are a lot of cars held at BCA waiting fixes. I know of cars that completed build in Oct, Nov and Dec and are at BCA still not delivered to customers.
Oct?! That's just crazy.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Likely sitting outside in the weather, too. I bet there are going to be paint problems. I don't know how much acid rain they get in the UK, but I suspect it's not zero.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We’ve already seen the brake problems, most likely due to extended storage outside in damp weather.

sam041

Reaction score
As someone who is going to store the car outside year round (garage not wide enough) this is a bit concerning.

Are wheel covers the answer? With the use of a dryer before covering if wet?

Grumpy

Reaction score
all discs rust if they get wet and are not used. If you are using it , shouldn't be a problem. Just don't leave it outside for months unused. I suspect this was caused by some cars being almost complete months ago, stored outside but waiting for parts.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As someone who is going to store the car outside year round (garage not wide enough) this is a bit concerning.

Are wheel covers the answer? With the use of a dryer before covering if wet?
Once the car is in use by an owner and the brakes have been fully bedded and repeatedly heat cycled, this will be less of an issue. One of the significant parts of the problem here is the brand new freshly installed brake linings sitting against each other in the wet, before they've been heat cycled together.

That being said, if I were going to store my Emira outdoors for extended periods, I would spray a little brake cleaner into the leading and trailing edges of each pad before I tried to move the car.

jcyl

Reaction score
New issue found … Auto Hold failure 500km in. Any ways of troubleshooting / resetting this manually? Picture attached.

Attachments

• DE1A7181-0E8A-404E-961C-34B6842C5323.jpeg
    DE1A7181-0E8A-404E-961C-34B6842C5323.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 177