• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Issues - from final production cars

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Have B&C said what’s caused it and what the fix is?
It’s a not-uncommon occurrence on these type of Exige/Evora brakes, usually caused by leaving wet pads/discs to rust together.
Then when the car is moved a piece of pad gets torn off as it’s stuck to the disc.
The fix apparently is to clean up the disc (presumably if it’s not too bad) and fit new pads.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I thought it might be that. Cars left standing at BCA in Dec/Jan with damp brakes probably contributing to it.

It happens on my Evora if I don’t dry them off when leaving it in the garage for a few days. Leaving the handbrake off reduces the risk.

I had the brakes completely seize once due to this issue after leaving the car for a month while I was away on business. Normally engine power is enough to unstick them (with a rather dramatic bang and lurch!) but this time the RAC had to get dollies under the car and drag it out of the garage so they could work on freeing them!

01B8C559-F227-4E99-A921-49C0DC6FA69A.jpeg

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yep. Had the bang and lurch quite a few times. (In previous Exige/Evora)
Never had actual pad damage or seizure though.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Leaving the handbrake off reduces the risk.
I always thought this was a bit of a red herring being as the handbrake drum was enclosed in the rear disc and out of the wet.
Emira style mini caliper might be more of a worry.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I always thought this was a bit of a red herring being as the handbrake drum was enclosed in the rear disc and out of the wet.
Emira style mini caliper might be more of a worry.

When I left my car for a week with handbrake on while on holiday it was the most seized brakes I've ever had on a car regardless of how long I've left one. It only had 50 or so miles at the time so may have just needed a bit more bedding it, but the car did eventually move. While I left it sitting over the worst of the winter I kept the handbrake off, and it moved a heck of a lot more easily even after 10 or so weeks.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI a high temperature pad bedding procedure when new helps prevent some of this problem. It doesn't eliminate it, and probably wouldn't have helped in TomE's situation, but for others taking delivery of new vehicles, it may be worthwhile to do a proper road bedding cycle in a very traffic-free and stoplight-free location until the pads noticeably outgas. You'll smell it when you get there, and sometimes see a touch of smoke. Then a long gentle drive to cool the system back to normal range before coming to any sort of stop.

Three different perspectives on the same process:

And here's the process as described by AP Racing (makers of the Emira brake system) for their APF pad compounds, which describes an even more aggressive brake bedding process. I don't know which AP compound is used on the Emira, so this may be overkill. Does anyone here know?

In short though... bedding the brakes is important for a bunch of reasons. If you can access a place to do it safely, your brakes will perform better and last longer, while gaining some additional corrosion resistance from the heat cycling.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another one over on TLF.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
FYI a high temperature pad bedding procedure when new helps prevent some of this problem. It doesn't eliminate it, and probably wouldn't have helped in TomE's situation, but for others taking delivery of new vehicles, it may be worthwhile to do a proper road bedding cycle in a very traffic-free and stoplight-free location until the pads noticeably outgas. You'll smell it when you get there, and sometimes see a touch of smoke. Then a long gentle drive to cool the system back to normal range before coming to any sort of stop.

Three different perspectives on the same process:

And here's the process as described by AP Racing (makers of the Emira brake system) for their APF pad compounds, which describes an even more aggressive brake bedding process. I don't know which AP compound is used on the Emira, so this may be overkill. Does anyone here know?

In short though... bedding the brakes is important for a bunch of reasons. If you can access a place to do it safely, your brakes will perform better and last longer, while gaining some additional corrosion resistance from the heat cycling.
We used to do just that with DS11 competition pads years ago. Brake hard and continually until you got that strong hot brakes smell, let them cool, then they'd work really well. Until you did that the brakes didn't work.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In light of delays and pent-up demand for the Emira, were the night watch staff at the factory offering "private viewings" of these early cars so now the brakes are stuck together?

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I left my car for a week with handbrake on while on holiday it was the most seized brakes I've ever had on a car regardless of how long I've left one. It only had 50 or so miles at the time so may have just needed a bit more bedding it, but the car did eventually move. While I left it sitting over the worst of the winter I kept the handbrake off, and it moved a heck of a lot more easily even after 10 or so weeks.
That’s your experience but I don’t think it’s a time thing.
It only takes long enough for the pads/discs to dry out for them to stick. I’ve had it happen overnight.
Could it have been that your first time they were wet when you parked it up and second time they weren’t?
Handbrake on or off made no difference as far as I could tell. They would stick after a wash or wet drive.
Not a scientific conclusion, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Ian C

Reaction score
This table summarises known issues with production dealer demo and customer cars reported by the owner or someone test driving the demo car. This is for faults, not perceived shortcomings in the design.

The purpose of this thread is for reporting issues, clarifying what the issues are and how many cars are affected (if known), possible workarounds or fixes, and details of official solutions. Off topic posts will be deleted.

Anyone who would like to report a fault but does not want to post it on here is welcome to send info to @TomE via private message and it can be added anonymously.

Issues with known resolutions are highlighted in green.

IssueDescriptionKnown OccurrencesReported ByResolutionLinks
Wind noise and window sealsMis-sealing of windows to window seal causing wind noise
1​
@Markc[tbc]Thread
Steering pumpServo fault resulting in intermittent failure
2​
@1stczechemira
@hml_xy
Recall warranty replacement on early EU cars (first 30ish)Thread
Boot closureBoot sticky to close
1-2?​
[needs more evidence][tbc]
Boot hatch water retentionHatch frame fills with water due to incorrect composite gluing
2​
@ott
1 UK owner (anonymous)
Warranty replacementThread
Paintwork orange peelSeen on some UK demo cars
"some"​
[needs more evidence][tbc]
Manual gear knob etchingMachining of gear positions on knob appears rough
1​
@Markc[tbc]Thread
ECU faultUK demo and early customer cars show Check Engine Light, "limp mode" or "reduced acceleration" warnings
11​
5 UK demo cars
@FarmerJ
@shaank
@Mh59
Several on Facebook
Software update required, due in Jan-23Thread
ECU software update problemsSome dealers having difficulty installing Jan-23 ECU software update
"some"​
@Markc[tbc]Thread
Door seal imperfectionsDoor seals fitted poorly and show some wrinkles
"a few"​
@Bilbao-Emira (on Bilbao demo)
@Emiragirl (on Central demo)
@1stczechemira
@AudR8 (on JCT demo)
@scoates
Dealers should be able to rectify (or improve), also possible to DIYThread
Broken part in door lock mechanismDoor won't open
1​
@hml_xyWarranty replacement of broken partPost
SOS warningSystem takes long time to reconnect after signal loss
1​
@FarmerJ[tbc]Post
Seat belt mounting bolt exposedBolt cover missing
1​
Collecting Cars car for sale / @NeilS[tbc]Post
Seat belts jammedBelts not usable
"a few"​
@duff
1 on Facebook
Warranty fix, Lotus field engineer attended immediately. Fix resulted in second occurrence, also fixedThread
Wipers won't switch to fastest speedAfter time in auto-sensing mode, the wipers won't manually switch to fastest speed
"many"​
Harry's Garage video
@duff
@Markc
@hml_xy
@ott
@Mh59
Software update due from Lotus in Jan-23Thread
Brake discs and padsBrake discs heavily corroded and pads fractured 400 miles after delivery
2​
@Mh59
@Sid
Warranty replacement. Dealer and Lotus investigating causePost [2]
Tracker app alertsPush reporting not working from app for factory-fitted Scorpion S5 tracker
1​
@Mh59New version of Scorpion app published 1 Feb 2023 and fixes the issueThread
Cross-gate shift cable jammed in sub-zero temperaturesAble to select 3/4 (or 1/2 or 5/6) but unable to move shifter left/right
1​
Reported to moderatorsMoisture inside shift cable freezes. Interim fix is to run engine without driving, so heat soak frees the cable (driving the car increases air flow and slows the unfreezing). Full fix is cable replacement under warranty.
Demist not workingAir flow directed to face or foot vents, not to windscreen
5-6​
@Jimblob
@duff
@NeilS
2-3 UK dealers
Lotus investigating issueThread
Engine, gearbox or transmission leak - exact issue tbcSmoke and oil vapour from engine bay
1​
@Lots_Of_TroubleLotus investigating issueThread
This is really helpful , have you updated it with the other items on the thread ? just wondering as I was going to do it !

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've just added the brake pad issue and the off-forum report of a car that won't go into gear. Rest of it should be up to date but let me know if I've missed anything.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Minor software bugs:
  • When scrolling the center display down too fast from eg. millage to media, the media controls will overlay the map. Happens once, when the map hasn't been accessed before since start. Probably a race condition when the map just finishes loading after being scrolled away already.
  • Red triangle warning light gets stuck sometimes when something happens too fast. Last time it happened when starting the engine from "ignition on" instead of a full "dark and cold" start. Handbook specifies that the icon won't illuminate without any other specific warning light. It happened anyways. Letting the ECU go to sleep and starting again fixes the stuck light.
  • Android Auto randomly disconnects (hardwired). Honestly, that's probably on AA and not on Lotus, since this problem happens everywhere with any phone model after some amount of time. I don't think there is a fix for that until Google does something about it.
Probably won't be fixed if they can't even get the wipers to work :ROFLMAO:

Still a beast of a car 👍

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The rear looks like it may work itself out. The front definitely looks like there are three distinct grooves where the pad is not touching the rotor. You can kind of make out that there is a chunk of pad missing on one of the grooves:

View attachment 22700

I'd be curious what the other side looks like because they looked nice and shiny in the photos.
Closeup photos of all four wheels - as you can see passenger side both look fine, it is just the drivers side which look dubious, just not sure if this is something that will sort itself out once driven more / bedded in, or if needs rectifying? car has only done about 5 miles as is awaiting PPF / ceramic before being driven further.

driver_front.jpg
driver_rear.jpg
passenger_front.jpg
passenger_rear.jpg

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's suspect. It's not as bad as some of the other cars we've seen, but I would get this checked out once you have the PPF done.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have now seen multiple new cars with the brake pad issue. I am a bit flummoxed that Lotus has somehow managed to remain unaware of this issue, or worse, is releasing cars with this issue on what is a rather important safety feature.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have now seen multiple new cars with the brake pad issue. I am a bit flummoxed that Lotus has somehow managed to remain unaware of this issue, or worse, is releasing cars with this issue on what is a rather important safety feature.
Seems like possibly it's cars that were stored outside while awaiting production parts. It might not happen at all for cars that went straight through production to delivery.