Software update failure

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My car is back at the dealer workshop having so minor issues addressed. I was keen to get the software update done whilst it was in.
Apparently they have tried to do the update but ‘it keeps failing’
Has anyone successfully had the update done?

My car is back at the dealer workshop having so minor issues addressed. I was keen to get the software update done whilst it was in.
Apparently they have tried to do the update but ‘it keeps failing’
Has anyone successfully had the update done?
Lol I feel your pain, but that is quite amusing when the update to solve the issues is failing 😅 🙈

Have they tried turning it off and back on again? :)

On a slightly more serious note, I know a few weeks ago Lotus realised they hadn’t provided the dealers with a means of deploying software updates onto the car. They can do the initial installation at Hethel but needed to develop an installer. My hunch is the installer is the problem, not the update.

I'm surprised they don't use one of the USB ports to read a USB stick for the software update. Are they seriously using a hard programmer over a serial connection?

Regardless of the physical interface, you still need an installer (software deployment package) as well as the software.

No OTA. You need to own an Eletre for that.

You mean there’s not OTA software update, what is all this? Are we still in the 1990s?
😜😱 (I’m pretending to be a Tesla owner)
Waiting for an outcry…..
My new Ford F350 just messaged me yesterday to let me know that it will be updating (OTA) in the next week or so, and my truck will have "Alexa" built-in as a free option. That way, when I pull into my driveway, I can say "I'm home" and it will turn on the driveway lights, kitchen lights, etc. Pretty fancy for a truck!

You mean there’s not OTA software update, what is all this? Are we still in the 1990s?
Waiting for an outcry…..
Seriously though, it would be great to have OTA - Especially with a small dealer network. That would / should have been a priority.

Last edited:
Waiting for an outcry…..
Unfortunately Lotus can’t seem to handle building their cars in a timely manner let alone maintaining an OTA software/firmware update system. For a company trying to modernize they are having a great deal of growing pains.

So my car will have been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They have apparently managed to successfully update some of the software. The lady on reception was unable to confirm whether the wiper update had been done. More frustrating the car is coming back with the gnarled gear knob and the door seals are also out of stock. Annoying as photos and details of the issues I was experiencing were emailed to the dealer pre Xmas 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

My new Ford F350 just messaged me yesterday to let me know that it will be updating (OTA) in the next week or so, and my truck will have "Alexa" built-in as a free option. That way, when I pull into my driveway, I can say "I'm home" and it will turn on the driveway lights, kitchen lights, etc. Pretty fancy for a truck!
...until it is hacked and your lights start turning on at 3 AM. :unsure:

So my car will have been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They have apparently managed to successfully update some of the software. The lady on reception was unable to confirm whether the wiper update had been done. More frustrating the car is coming back with the gnarled gear knob and the door seals are also out of stock. Annoying as photos and details of the issues I was experiencing were emailed to the dealer pre Xmas 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Why did a software update take 3 weeks? 😕

To ensure the software isn't hacked, it is provided in hardcopy format, and someone at the dealer needs to key it in? Just hope if fixes whatever issues it was meant to.

The mechanism for dealers installing software updates hadn't been considered by Lotus until the first issues arose that required it to be done at the dealership. So I think the deployment mechanism is recently-developed and that's partly what's contributing to the difficulties getting it to install.

I've heard of a couple of dealers who have been struggling to get the update correctly installed. It may also be why some cars are held at BCA waiting for the update (and other fixes) before delivery.

The lady on reception was unable to confirm whether the wiper update had been done.
My car was updated just before Xmas at the local dealer by a field engineer who came across from Hethel. I was told that the update he applied only affected the dash. I don't have the details of what it changed/fixed, but it definitely did not address the wiper issue. From the conversations I have had since it seems unlikely the next update, which is scheduled for end of Jan/early Feb*, will include a fix for the wipers either.

My car was updated just before Xmas at the local dealer by a field engineer who came across from Hethel. I was told that the update he applied only affected the dash. I don't have the details of what it changed/fixed, but it definitely did not address the wiper issue. From the conversations I have had since it seems unlikely the next update, which is scheduled for end of Jan/early Feb*, will include a fix for the wipers either.

Honestly I don't understand how an ECU/software update would magically fix the wiper issue. Isn't it just a switch controlled via the stalk that talks to the wiper motor? That's got nothing to do with software that can be updated. Unless the issue is related to the rain sensor and that needs calibration somehow. Is that all synced via Android Automotive? Either way, I hope it gets fixed soon because it seems to be an issue for most of these early deliveries.