Boot hatch frame fills with water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ott

Reaction score
Rear hatch of my car will be replaced, because its frame fills with water when raining. Diagnosed as problem with glueing composite panels together. Its not possible to check this visually. When car has seen some rain, then its easy as you will hear how water flows inside of hatch frame when its lifted. Temporary fix as advised by Lotus is to drill drain hole. Lets see how long it takes for new hatch to be delivered ?

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Rear hatch of my car will be replaced, because its frame fills with water when raining. Diagnosed as problem with glueing composite panels together. Its not possible to check this visually. When car has seen some rain, then its easy as you will hear how water flows inside of hatch frame when its lifted. Temporary fix as advised by Lotus is to drill drain hole. Lets see how long it takes for new hatch to be delivered ?
This is interesting in a bad way. When I tested the car in Boston I asked them to open the rear hatch and water ran out of the hatch. The salesman had a rag and wiped up the water quickly. He said it was just the test car that had this issue. Sounds like there may be more to the story. Has Lotus corrected the issue?

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This is interesting in a bad way. When I tested the car in Boston I asked them to open the rear hatch and water ran out of the hatch. The salesman had a rag and wiped up the water quickly. He said it was just the test car that had this issue. Sounds like there may be more to the story. Has Lotus corrected the issue?
I remember a while back about some mentioning this issue on one of the earlier test cars. Hopefully there is a fix that's already been implemented on the production line going forward.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Lower part of the hatch collects water due to its design and this then drips into engine compartement when hatch is opened. Thats another issue. I though it rains often enough in UK so they would have noticed it. Could also be that production version of the hatch was tested only in Atacama desert.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Please keep us updated on the progress... sorry to hear about that problem. Hopefully it comes soon.

Well.... sooner than a Lotus soon. ;)

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
C8s are leaking in the A pillars, no fix as of yet. This could be a long road

virtualmacho

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Temporary fix as advised by Lotus is to drill drain hole.
It's surprising a draining mechanism had not been included in the original design. Hope it gets fixed. In the meantime, you might be able to use the water to adjust front : rear weight ratio :rolleyes:

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Endeavour Lotus Essex said that there was a drain facility at the rear of the engine, so when opening the rear hatch after rain, open to horizontal position and allow water to drain, then open all the way. The hatch opens on hydraulic rams so it's a matter of holding it in the horizontal position then releasing it. I have no idea whether this actually works though.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Endeavour Lotus Essex said that there was a drain facility at the rear of the engine, so when opening the rear hatch after rain, open to horizontal position and allow water to drain, then open all the way. The hatch opens on hydraulic rams so it's a matter of holding it in the horizontal position then releasing it. I have no idea whether this actually works though.
here we have two different problems.
the problem in the post is water actually entering into the panel, its entering into the frame.... which was not sealed properly and will be replaced.
The other problem of water sitting in the lid and then going into the boot when opening is annoying, but not the problem our friend refers to...
Obvious fix.... same as for women with new hair do's = dont get wet.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
here we have two different problems.
the problem in the post is water actually entering into the panel, its entering into the frame.... which was not sealed properly and will be replaced.
The other problem of water sitting in the lid and then going into the boot when opening is annoying, but not the problem our friend refers to...
Obvious fix.... same as for women with new hair do's = dont get wet.
Yes, I was really responding to @virtualmacho comment about draining.

virtualmacho

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just to be clear; I wasn't commenting on the known "issue" of water pooling on the rear lip and falling into the engine bay when the boot is opened. I was wondering why a drain hole had not been designed into the hollow plastic rear lip in the first place. Just hope the drain hole will not be provided as a cost option!

Grumpy

Reaction score
I dont get this. The factory has a dedicated brand new torrential rain facility which every car is meant to go through. The frame filling is quite a serious quality or design issue. The adhesives are all robot applied so how does this happen? The idea that you have to half lift the boot to let it drain before lifting it fully or it drains into the boot is bonkers - design considerations over engineering perhaps. I really hope we are not going to get more of this.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as my elise arrived with a large sticker saying the roof isnt waterproof😂. That said this car is at a level that this cant be an issue.

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Guys it's some water. Don't freak out. It just needed a drain hole, it's a composite panel anyway, it's not like it's going to rust.

Should it have gotten water in? No, that's an adhesive process concern. Is it a really serious problem? Also no.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys it's some water. Don't freak out. It just needed a drain hole, it's a composite panel anyway, it's not like it's going to rust.

Should it have gotten water in? No, that's an adhesive process concern. Is it a really serious problem? Also no.

I'm not freaking out, but I do have serious concerns about their R&D and QA testing. There are a lot of brand new (and young) factory workers building these cars and the few vehicles that have been delivered are reporting issues already. I'm not looking forward to having a car I waited 2 years for to live at the dealership waiting on parts and repairs.

Lolub

Reaction score
Reading all of this, I'm thinking three things. Don't drive it in the rain. Keep it in the garage. And don't carry anything in the boot so you don't have to open the hatch... Though I shouldn't have to think all that for a $100K USD vehicle. 🫣

Status
Not open for further replies.