Boot hatch frame fills with water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Guys it's some water. Don't freak out. It just needed a drain hole, it's a composite panel anyway, it's not like it's going to rust.

Should it have gotten water in? No, that's an adhesive process concern. Is it a really serious problem? Also no.
Even composite panels wont benefit from water ingress unless they are full epoxy or painted (which the inside won’t be}. For those of us who have had many Lotus products we get used to quirks, but this is an 80k car produced after colossal levels of investment when the first hundred cars quality is paramount given the competition. I think the difference is that when you are buying a £30k weekend ‘toy’ hand built, you can sort of accept this, but many will use this as a daily and comparing it to then Porsche, Merc, BMW they have just come out off. The fact that if its rained you can’t just open the boot without water dropping in shows a lack of testing or engineering thought - could you really see that happening with any of the three brands above. All cars have recalls but I am just concerned that Plastic squeaks on boots, Frame filling with water, several test drives delayed due to warning lights, failed steering servo etc and thats on a very small number of cars - it is worrying. I really want this car to do well, hope these are the extent of incidents and I want mine to be delivered without faults! We have waited long enough perhaps they should pause deliveries and double down on QC.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Reading all of this, I'm thinking three things. Don't drive it in the rain. Keep it in the garage. And don't carry anything in the boot so you don't have to open the hatch... Though I shouldn't have to think all that for a $100K USD vehicle. 🫣
cheaper option, also, is buy the scale model. I didn't see anybody reporting this water issue neither on the 1/18 nor on the 1/43 models

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Even composite panels wont benefit from water ingress unless they are full epoxy or painted (which the inside won’t be}. For those of us who have had many Lotus products we get used to quirks, but this is an 80k car produced after colossal levels of investment when the first hundred cars quality is paramount given the competition. I think the difference is that when you are buying a £30k weekend ‘toy’ hand built, you can sort of accept this, but many will use this as a daily and comparing it to then Porsche, Merc, BMW they have just come out off. The fact that if its rained you can’t just open the boot without water dropping in shows a lack of testing or engineering thought - could you really see that happening with any of the three brands above. All cars have recalls but I am just concerned that Plastic squeaks on boots, Frame filling with water, several test drives delayed due to warning lights, failed steering servo etc and thats on a very small number of cars - it is worrying. I really want this car to do well, hope these are the extent of incidents and I want mine to be delivered without faults! We have waited long enough perhaps they should pause deliveries and double down on QC.
Thank you for taking my grumpy mantle.
I feel like I can just relax now, knowing that you are here echoing my own thoughts 😂😉

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

My 100k vantage did the same re poor hatch design.… lift the boot too quickly and everything inside got wet.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Drain holes in hatch frame do not solve a problem, because if there is water inside of unprotected glassfibre structure osmosis process will cause paint blistering.

My car is off from road till spring, by then hopefully definitive solution is found. I know already another car with same issue.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Correct unless its full epoxy with closed strand. Any gelcoat will bubble and pop off if it can penetrate the structure.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Guys it's some water. Don't freak out. It just needed a drain hole, it's a composite panel anyway, it's not like it's going to rust.

Should it have gotten water in? No, that's an adhesive process concern. Is it a really serious problem? Also no.
The problem is the dealer can’t find a fix. Like I said, water is a HUGE problem.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just dril a hole in your brand new £80k car..... 

Takes me.back to my Tvr days, I do not want to go back to my tvr days.

It would be a tough call Iimagine , delay yet again to solve quality issues or carry on and keep dealing with them in the real world.

Which will do the least damage to the cars reputation

Infact after giving it a little thought this is probably the most disturbing thing I've read about the car that's making me question if it's for me. I love the looks and the drive but "just drill a hole in it youth" is not for me

Last edited:

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus have been gluing cars together for years so you would expect this to be a rare / one off problem.
However any repetitive failures in this process would be a concern.
The Early Evoras had a problem with water ingress into the boot (when parked facing uphill if I recall correctly) and the solution was...... yes you guessed it, drill some holes. :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.