The great black roof dilemma...

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi fellow Emira fans, for me the reasons for the black pack and black roof that goes with it are two-fold.

1. The black roof visually lowers the car. It definitely does this, but having seen the car in the flesh this is no longer essential for me - looks plenty low enough.
2. It is an integral part of the styling, principally how it flows.

See below, I've tried to illustrate my thoughts on this. There are so many flowing lines from front-to-rear of the Emira, like ripples in water with a rhythm that flow, which contribute to its sleek appearance and create the impression it is in motion even when standing still. Not many cars are this blessed stylistically; there are many other reasons the Emira is as good-looking as it is but this is a key one.

When the roof is in black the A-pillar and C-pillar do not interfere with this flow, as they are separated visually from the rest of the body. When the roof matches the body colour, the eye has to make a choice whether it follows the A-pillar up or continues along the body - this interrupts the flow and you lose some of the effect of fluidity and motion.

1635182989319.png

1635183025508.png

I'd love to hear from Russell Carr to see if this is the intent of this design choice?

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi fellow Emira fans, for me the reasons for the black pack and black roof that goes with it are two-fold.

1. The black roof visually lowers the car. It definitely does this, but having seen the car in the flesh this is no longer essential for me - looks plenty low enough.

See below, I've tried to illustrate my thoughts on this. There are so many flowing lines from front-to-rear of the Emira, like ripples in water with a rhythm that flow, which contribute to its sleek appearance and create the impression it is in motion even when standing still. Not many cars are this blessed stylistically; there are many other reasons the Emira is as good-looking as it is but this is a key one.

When the roof is in black the A-pillar and C-pillar do not interfere with this flow, as they are separated visually from the rest of the body. When the roof matches the body colour, the eye has to make a choice whether it follows the A-pillar up or continues along the body - this interrupts the flow and you lose some of the effect of fluidity and motion.

View attachment 925

View attachment 926

I'd love to hear from Russell Carr to see if this is the intent of this design choice?
Not sure which pillar is which but I agree that it’s not a “black roof” as much as it’s a “black roof & black next to the windshield too” which is great styling. #BlackPack for sure.

Reactions: Den

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nicely illustrated. Both work visually but I agree the BP version is tauter. It’s the difference between a cheetah stood still (no BP) and tensed ready to sprint (BP) - they’re both elegant and look fast before they start moving.

We’re rarely going to see an exact side profile in real life, so I think you have to look at front, rear and three-quarter front/rear as well to decide whether you prefer BP or not. And body colour has a significant influence too….

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Not sure which pillar is which but I agree that it’s not a “black roof” as much as it’s a “black roof & black next to the windshield too” which is great styling. #BlackPack for sure.
We are on the same page then! The A pillar goes from the body to the roof-line up the side of the windscreen (windshield in US speak...) , the C pillar goes from the body to the roof at the rear of the car. The B pillar, when there is one, goes from the bottom of the glazing at rear of the driver's door to the roof-line.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I like the black pack, but with the black hatch, the rear 3/4 looks odd in the brighter colours... hence me going for coloured roof

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
We are on the same page then! The A pillar goes from the body to the roof-line up the side of the windscreen (windshield in US speak...) , the C pillar goes from the body to the roof at the rear of the car. The B pillar, when there is one, goes from the bottom of the glazing at rear of the driver's door to the roof-line.
Yes. All of that. :) Thank you.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Nicely illustrated. Both work visually but I agree the BP version is tauter. It’s the difference between a cheetah stood still (no BP) and tensed ready to sprint (BP) - they’re both elegant and look fast before they start moving.

We’re rarely going to see an exact side profile in real life, so I think you have to look at front, rear and three-quarter front/rear as well to decide whether you prefer BP or not. And body colour has a significant influence too….
Absolutely Tom, and if I go for Dark Verdant green I may opt for a body colour roof as the contrast with the black roof would be limited, so the effect is limited.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Interesting reasons, and I would never have thought of looking at it that way(y)
IMO the black roof just looks better :)
Which is the only reason you'd need to choose it!

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Great analysis. I also think that darker colors will also ruin this flow. A light or medium color with good contrast with the black bits would look best.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have changed my mind on the black pack, I used to be pro Black pack, no I am not so sure. I think it works better with greys and the darker green. I no longer like it as much with any of the colors. I think the abrupt color change between the body and the A Pillar is the part I am struggling with. The greys and green have less of a contrast so I think it looks smoother. So I have no black pack with my Blue spec and I have included the black pack for my green spec. Also I want tinted windows so it may just be too dark for me with the black pack on the blue.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have changed my mind on the black pack, I used to be pro Black pack, no I am not so sure. I think it works better with greys and the darker green. I no longer like it as much with any of the colors. I think the abrupt color change between the body and the A Pillar is the part I am struggling with. The greys and green have less of a contrast so I think it looks smoother. So I have no black pack with my Blue spec and I have included the black pack for my green spec. Also I want tinted windows so it may just be too dark for me with the black pack on the blue.
Yup. Agreed. It’ll all come down to the combo.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of that, it's just a different look and personal preference. Like many others, i think seeing images of actual cars in each of the 6 colours will help immensely - and the design is so strong and so well resolved that it's simply not possible to configure a bad looking Emira!

Last edited:

Rob

Reaction score

View attachment 925

View attachment 926

I started out preferring the black pack for my original spec green car, however have changed my mind (many times 😀) and would no longer spec the black roof. To my eye, the top photo looks and flows better, however this is not to suggest the black pack version doesn’t look good, it does. You will be hard pressed to find a bad colour combination and angle on this car.

I have delayed my FE order due to the finish on my new build on the coast (reason for new car purchase) has been delayed until early 2023 which is disappointing but hardly a hardship, I have left my deposit in place and will order a base v6 and spec to liking to be delivered to coincide. Be interested in viewing the new colours & options as well.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I made a specific point of asking him this question at the B&C night (it had been vexing me since watching the Carfection interview!) I took what he said to mean they were not initially thinking black roof, having done it on previous cars but when they tried it it looked great, so thought to offer both. Fair enough.

I'm going single colour, on the basis for me that's a more classic and resolved look. The black pack doesn't quite sink down into the proportions of the Emira bodywork. Admittedly this has quite possibly been caused by comparing it with the Evija (and McLarens/Ferraris), where the black looks physically pressed down into the car and exaggerates the low roof line. But we all perceive things differently and all Emiras are going to look great, I bet as soon as I see a black roof car in the flesh I'll probably wish I'd gone with it! If indeed I don't change my mind ;)

evija.jpeg

AlexB

Reaction score
I just took a look at the gorgeous side profile view of that yellow Emira posted above and thought ”f*ck me, I’m actually going to own one of those soon”! 😍

And then I realised…

😂

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I made a specific point of asking him this question at the B&C night (it had been vexing me since watching the Carfection interview!) I took what he said to mean they were not initially thinking black roof, having done it on previous cars but when they tried it it looked great, so thought to offer both. Fair enough.

I'm going single colour, on the basis for me that's a more classic and resolved look. The black pack doesn't quite sink down into the proportions of the Emira bodywork. Admittedly this has quite possibly been caused by comparing it with the Evija (and McLarens/Ferraris), where the black looks physically pressed down into the car and exaggerates the low roof line. But we all perceive things differently and all Emiras are going to look great, I bet as soon as I see a black roof car in the flesh I'll probably wish I'd gone with it! If indeed I don't change my mind ;)

View attachment 927
That is one beautiful car in yellow. What program was used to create that picture. It doesn’t look like an Emira. Is it an Evija?

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

View attachment 927
I totally get what you mean about "pressed down onto the car". Interesting that it was a late addition too - I'd love to have seen their reaction when they saw it for the first time!

Changing my mind is an hourly occurrence presently....

Last edited: