• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Roof looks too high without black pack ?

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Was just re watching the carfection review when I noted it shared a shot of a blue Emira without the black pack. My initial thoughts were that roof line looks high. Anyone else ? Obviously more prominent on the brighter colours.

I must admit when I saw the car in the flesh, looking at the side profile the roof does look quite high. The black pack does a good job of hiding that, but at the time I did think it might look a little ungainly if the or had been in the body colour.

941C9826-0D0D-4C58-AAB0-65C35D985F77.jpeg

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Was just re watching the carfection review when I noted it shared a shot of a blue Emira without the black pack. My initial thoughts were that roof line looks high. Anyone else ? Obviously more prominent on the brighter colours.

I must admit when I saw the car in the flesh, looking at the side profile the roof does look quite high. The black pack does a good job of hiding that, but at the time I did think it might look a little ungainly if the or had been in the body colour.

View attachment 907
I think I am changing my spec to blue with black wheels! I don't like the black pack on lighter cars.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score

View attachment 907
I was thinking that the rear quarter looked a little high in some photos but looked absolutely amazing at the roadshow, I don’t think pictures do the car any justice. To me, photos seem to compact the car somewhat.

I suppose they need a certain minimum roof height or they’d have to fit GT40 style roof bumps for some taller folks (disclaimer…… not needed for a short ar*e fella like me)

chooch13

Reaction score
Looks are pretty subjective, but it looks like the following applies for the Emira:

light colours = black pack
dark colours ≠ black pack

I believe the roof height does play a major factor in the looks department when it comes to the light colours. I also believe that the Emira actually has a higher roof line than the Evora.

Reactions: DJW

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They're almost identical heights: Evora 1218mm and Emira 1224mm.

There's an optical illusion when you compare the two cars, because the door opening is taller on the Emira and extends further into the roof, making the roof look thinner in side profile. This is part of making access easier and the sills are lower and narrower too. You can see the difference in these pics:

Emira:
Emira door opening.jpg

Evora:
Evora door opening.jpg

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score

View attachment 907
First of all - thanks for pointing this out. I've watched this video maybe 4, 5 times and never caught the quick shot to the blue roof.

I've mentioned a couple of times in various posts that I'm having a near existential crisis about black pack versus non-black pack mostly due to some pictures in which the car does look a little "pinched" up front and tall through the cabin. Someone else coined it as "stubby". The black pack would certainly work to "flatten" the look of the car.

Having said all that.. I'm really beginning to trust those of you who have seen the car in person and the reports that this concern simply isn't the case. Furthermore I've watched more videos, specifically videos where someone is standing next to the car for reference and it really seems fine. I'm definitely skipping the blackpack and this screen grab actually helps seal the deal for me.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
First of all - thanks for pointing this out. I've watched this video maybe 4, 5 times and never caught the quick shot to the blue roof.

I've mentioned a couple of times in various posts that I'm having a near existential crisis about black pack versus non-black pack mostly due to some pictures in which the car does look a little "pinched" up front and tall through the cabin. Someone else coined it as "stubby". The black pack would certainly work to "flatten" the look of the car.

Having said all that.. I'm really beginning to trust those of you who have seen the car in person and the reports that this concern simply isn't the case. Furthermore I've watched more videos, specifically videos where someone is standing next to the car for reference and it really seems fine. I'm definitely skipping the blackpack and this screen grab actually helps seal the deal for me.
The roof-line being a bit on the high side was a concern I shared (see my post re Emira viewing) but this was dispelled the minute I saw the car in the flesh - low, wide and handsome!

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

If you’re really that concerned about whether or not to get the black pack, you can always have the roof and associated pillars and mirrors wrapped in a gloss black to mimic the effect. It shouldn’t cost much to do so and you could reverse it any time you wish.