• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The great black roof dilemma...

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on this as well many times lol.
I have decided (for now) no black pack. Think it's a classier looked without maybe and you can always add (and remove) the black pack later with ppf that will also protect the roof and for slightly less money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-195251_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-195251_Google.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 173
OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have decided (for now) no black pack. Think it's a classier looked without maybe and you can always add (and remove) the black pack later with ppf that will also protect the roof and for slightly less money.
That's a cracking looking render - you've now got me thinking seriously about silver! Your point about adding black pack later with a wrap is spot on - keeps your options open.

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Am thinking the same myself, will go for Seneca blue without black pack, I feel its a little like the Boxster v Cayman debate, you only have the Boxster not because its better looking but because its a convertible (the Cayman is the better looking car.... but no Emira of course), as the Emira is not a convertible why does it have a different colour roof???
I actually think the the matching roof, pillars, mirrors etc look amazing! Without making the car look as though, to some, that it has some sort of folding roof mechanism, having said all that my wife likes the black pack. I forsee some sort of "power struggle" looming!!!

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Am thinking the same myself, will go for Seneca blue without black pack, I feel its a little like the Boxster v Cayman debate, you only have the Boxster not because its better looking but because its a convertible (the Cayman is the better looking car.... but no Emira of course), as the Emira is not a convertible why does it have a different colour roof???
I actually think the the matching roof, pillars, mirrors etc look amazing! Without making the car look as though, to some, that it has some sort of folding roof mechanism, having said all that my wife likes the black pack. I forsee some sort of "power struggle" looming!!!

Attachments

• 2021-10-26 (1).png
    2021-10-26 (1).png
    182.5 KB · Views: 99
OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The very best of luck with the power struggle! I think if anyone is less than 100% set on black pack they are better to stay with body colour roof and get it wrapped later - definitely what I'll be doing.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Agreed, and not just the roof. All the elements of Black Pack can be done afterwards if you change your mind. Harder to unwind BP than add it later.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I decided on no black pack when I spotted this beauty. Think the side stripes would also look good on an Emira (yellow/green). I'm going no black pack and silver wheels.View attachment 2927
Great combo!
British plate, French stripes on an Italian car.
must be one of those country jokes! 🤣

Now seriously : Amazing!

daveparky84

Reaction score
Hi fellow Emira fans, for me the reasons for the black pack and black roof that goes with it are two-fold.

1. The black roof visually lowers the car. It definitely does this, but having seen the car in the flesh this is no longer essential for me - looks plenty low enough.
2. It is an integral part of the styling, principally how it flows.

See below, I've tried to illustrate my thoughts on this. There are so many flowing lines from front-to-rear of the Emira, like ripples in water with a rhythm that flow, which contribute to its sleek appearance and create the impression it is in motion even when standing still. Not many cars are this blessed stylistically; there are many other reasons the Emira is as good-looking as it is but this is a key one.

When the roof is in black the A-pillar and C-pillar do not interfere with this flow, as they are separated visually from the rest of the body. When the roof matches the body colour, the eye has to make a choice whether it follows the A-pillar up or continues along the body - this interrupts the flow and you lose some of the effect of fluidity and motion.

I actually find the opposite for me I think the black interrupts the flow of some of the lines ... Not saying I don't like the black, I really like it with Senneca blue for example but I ended up full Nimbus body and roof. I find the overall design so incredibly beautiful and balanced I feel the black ads another layer of design it doesn't need.. very subjective though and its great to have the factory option at the end of the day.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I actually find the opposite for me I think the black interrupts the flow of some of the lines ... Not saying I don't like the black, I really like it with Senneca blue for example but I ended up full Nimbus body and roof. I find the overall design so incredibly beautiful and balanced I feel the black ads another layer of design it doesn't need.. very subjective though and its great to have the factory option at the end of the day.
Yep, I can see that too and think it probably varies with viewing angle. Having gone with Dark Verdant myself the black pack was not going to work bit I do love the unified aircraft canopy look it gives to the roof and glazing.

I have been close a few times to switching to Nimbus - it keeps calling out to me! If I did I'd be really torn on BP or no BP.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I like the black pack on lighter colours, but it’s a real shame that it’s a flat black and not a metallic when the body is metallic. Not sure if it’s even got a clear coat or not.

If you have a rich metallic on the body (like magma or nimbus) and a flat black roof it might look a bit strange. Kind of a shame not to continue the rich metallic through the roofline as well as the lower black pack too.

Top black pack should be a no cost option as the paint is non-premium and hence cheaper! Ka-ching 💰😀

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I like the black pack on lighter colours, but it’s a real shame that it’s a flat black and not a metallic when the body is metallic. Not sure if it’s even got a clear coat or not.

If you have a rich metallic on the body (like magma or nimbus) and a flat black roof it might look a bit strange. Kind of a shame not to continue the rich metallic through the roofline as well as the lower black pack too.

Top black pack should be a no cost option as the paint is non-premium and hence cheaper! Ka-ching 💰😀
The Lotus elan +2 came with a metallic silver roof as an option - a cost option I'm sure! T
1646475605965.png
his worked well with non-metallic and metallic colours.

Unfortunately the extra labour in creating a two-tone paint job will greatly outweigh any saving in cost of the paint (but nice try! :ROFLMAO:). If BP was something I was considering I'd almost certainly go for a a wrap to give me the option to revert to single colour.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Lotus elan +2 came with a metallic silver roof as an option - a cost option I'm sure! TView attachment 3546his worked well with non-metallic and metallic colours.

Unfortunately the extra labour in creating a two-tone paint job will greatly outweigh any saving in cost of the paint (but nice try! :ROFLMAO:). If BP was something I was considering I'd almost certainly go for a a wrap to give me the option to revert to single colour.
What extra labour? Lotus don’t use one piece welded body shells like Porsche that need masking off, separate painting stages and hand finishing.

The roof and side A pillars are separate painted panels that are screwed on after painting. No extra labour that I can see.

So for example, you could screw on a Seneca blue roof and A pillars onto Hethel yellow base panels and end up with a Ukrainian paint scheme!

@Eagle7 do you think you could kindly mock that up? 😀

Last edited: