First Emira Breakdown?

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well,I'm not a happy chappy today.
144 miles in and poofff..

Smoke and oil blowing out the back.
Still not gone above 4500 rpm as quoted and this happens.

Yes ,these things happen I'll take that.

But the roadside assistance that followed was poor and unclear. The call centre is in Athens, they were unable to tell me about the process about how.lotus are going to pick this up or if they will call me or I need to call them.

AA came in an hour to be fair.
Still here,looking at a car that could be off the road for a while....

UPDATE to help possible new owners:
AA chap and Lotus Silverstones early thoughts on the issue:
Engine is most likely not the issue,levels were fine and no leaks from there,no warning light too.

Leaks "seemed" to be gearbox oil related,has happened previously with Toyota parts apparently .

Lotus Silverstone arranging for the car to be picked up from home to Their garage,not sure how long the wait will be yet.

Fingers crossed not too major,but still a blow for one week of ownership....

Attachments

• 20230129_103504.jpg
    20230129_103504.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 20230129_103504.jpg
    20230129_103504.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 535
  • 20230129_100218.jpg
    20230129_100218.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh no! That's awful. Please do let us know what the verdict is. As you say, I guess these thing do happen - bathtub curve etc and a small (hopefully, extremely small) minority will get unlucky. No consolation when you're waiting on the roadside for the low-loader though.

All the best for a quick recovery!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Really sorry to hear this and hope you get things sorted. The Toyota engine and drivetrain has been very reliable in other applications, so it would be very surprising for that to let go.

In reply to your subject line, you aren’t the first to break down, or the first to discover Lotus Roadside Assistance isn’t great.

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues, but that's the main reason I cancelled going on how lotus treated people before they even got a car it was never going to be good. The after care is going to become a real issue for lotus.

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
New to Lotus issues,had an elise before but it was great.

Any idea who I complain to,to get this escalated and fixed urgently,I'm not.holding my breath on a new car bit won't want to be paying for it whilst I'm waiting....

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
painful times for both customers and Lotus, something will have to change. Personally I would be calling a meeting of all managers tomorrow morning and first thing on the agenda would be to identify which hand of seatbelt goes which side. There needs to be some late nights at Hethel this week as well as some tough decisions made.

It really pains me to see peoples goodwill, loyalty and dreams slipping through Lotus’ fingers.

Come on Hethel, you have been in tighter spots than this and turned it round!!!

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
painful times for both customers and Lotus, something will have to change. Personally I would be calling a meeting of all managers tomorrow morning and first thing on the agenda would be to identify which hand of seatbelt goes which side. There needs to be some late nights at Hethel this week as well as some tough decisions made.

It really pains me to see peoples goodwill, loyalty and dreams slipping through Lotus’ fingers.

Come on Hethel, you have been in tighter spots than this and turned it round!!!
It's time Windle fell on his sword!!

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s a real shame that early customers aren’t being looked after very well… the questionable aftercare was a big reason why I chose a Lotus instead of McLaren…

Let’s hope they up their game very quickly.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s a real shame that early customers aren’t being looked after very well… the questionable aftercare was a big reason why I chose a Lotus instead of McLaren…

Let’s hope they up their game very quickly.
That was also a mistake. Both are not good.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The smoke will be the oil burning.
Suggests a leak in the system. Head gasket, pipes, engine block, cylinder head.
Not good. Certainly, do not let anybody start it.

Hopefully it is more innocuous and it is an easy fix.
Either way, this is AWFUL PR and Lotus need to be on these episodes like flies on shit.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Who says it’s him? I would think his superiors are the ones dictating the strategy
This is beyond strategy, this is about implementing process to ensure proper construction, QA and importantly CS to owners. He wrote the book on how this should happen for the Emira... (if not write it he certainly approved it) I agree he needs to be held accountable, along with other senior staff that were made to implement this. Guys like Carr and Kershaw did their job, Emira looks amazing (Carr) and handles brilliantly (Kershaw).

One thing I do not understand is with all the delays to production due to parts, how did the software team not find all these faults in the ECU over the last year? Certainly strange considering they had been given far more time than they first expected.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've had to deal with lotus assist 4 times now, and have fed back several 'learning points' to lotus re them, so unfortunately, feeling your pain.
Shaank does this mean your car has had to be recovered 4 times since you’ve taken delivery ?