• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Front axle noises and problems

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good morning, I am writing to you to find out if you have had similar experiences and if you have suggestions on how to resolve the issue, I hope to reach a resolution in order to be able to help someone who may have the same problem.

Around mid-September I take the car in for assistance, I picked it up new in July, for various problems, nothing important but annoying, one of these is a metallic noise from the steering wheel/front axle which occasionally occurs at the end of the steering wheel travel while I maneuver, another is an abnormal noise from the power steering pump always at the end of its stroke.

After more than two months and after having also carried out official recalls (it seems to me to be brakes, airbag struts and various control units) they returned the car to me with the power steering pump changed, all the other problems/annoyances resolved and improved except..... the metallic noise at the end of the stroke while I maneuver as if there was something not fixed well, to this were added two more always from the front axle: when the car is hot a creaking noise when the wheels are turned and a sort of ugly and strong resonance that is always hot when maneuvering, for example when parking.

The workshop kept the car for three weeks to try to resolve these problems, they say they also changed the power steering oil, but they were unsuccessful, despite making the foreman hear the noises as soon as he arrived, despite sending him the videos showing the noises (attached below), despite having specifically told them that it makes them especially when it is hot (about after 100km on the motorway plus or minus), according to them they were unable to reproduce them and they returned it to me as it was...you understand that I have completely lost faith in them.

What do you think could be due to this?

Metallic noise at the bottom of the stroke, present at the beginning of the video, not at the end, is barely audible

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GX4Zf6A13tFdzqQM8

Creaking noise when turning the steering wheel, audible a lot from the footwell

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvZQ3t9AAxQPtzmv7

Clear metallic noise at bottom stroke

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tDePJdZCxcbAw2FT9

Noise as of something not fixed well at the end of the stroke (I'm not turning with force, normal force)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqJFsW18N3ybesoS7

Last but not least you can barely see it but the one in the frame is the front rim that moves by turning the steering wheel, all three problems are present, in order in the video:
  • Creaking noise when steering (and slight noise of something not being properly secured) (about second 4, noise present since the power steering pump was changed)
  • Metallic noise at the end of the stroke (around second 9, noise present since I picked it up the first time)
  • “Resonance” noise clearly audible at the end of the video (around second 14, noise present since the power steering pump was changed)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eQFPSwdpMtN9MEom6

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good morning, I am writing to you to find out if you have had similar experiences and if you have suggestions on how to resolve the issue, I hope to reach a resolution in order to be able to help someone who may have the same problem.

Around mid-September I take the car in for assistance, I picked it up new in July, for various problems, nothing important but annoying, one of these is a metallic noise from the steering wheel/front axle which occasionally occurs at the end of the steering wheel travel while I maneuver, another is an abnormal noise from the power steering pump always at the end of its stroke.

After more than two months and after having also carried out official recalls (it seems to me to be brakes, airbag struts and various control units) they returned the car to me with the power steering pump changed, all the other problems/annoyances resolved and improved except..... the metallic noise at the end of the stroke while I maneuver as if there was something not fixed well, to this were added two more always from the front axle: when the car is hot a creaking noise when the wheels are turned and a sort of ugly and strong resonance that is always hot when maneuvering, for example when parking.

The workshop kept the car for three weeks to try to resolve these problems, they say they also changed the power steering oil, but they were unsuccessful, despite making the foreman hear the noises as soon as he arrived, despite sending him the videos showing the noises (attached below), despite having specifically told them that it makes them especially when it is hot (about after 100km on the motorway plus or minus), according to them they were unable to reproduce them and they returned it to me as it was...you understand that I have completely lost faith in them.

What do you think could be due to this?

Metallic noise at the bottom of the stroke, present at the beginning of the video, not at the end, is barely audible

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GX4Zf6A13tFdzqQM8

Creaking noise when turning the steering wheel, audible a lot from the footwell

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvZQ3t9AAxQPtzmv7

Chiaro rumore metallico a fondo corsa

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tDePJdZCxcbAw2FT9

Noise as of something not fixed well at the end of the stroke (I'm not turning with force, normal force)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqJFsW18N3ybesoS7

Last but not least you can barely see it but the one in the frame is the front rim that moves by turning the steering wheel, all three problems are present, in order in the video:
  • Creaking noise when steering (and slight noise of something not being properly secured) (about second 4, noise present since the power steering pump was changed)
  • Metallic noise at the end of the stroke (around second 9, noise present since I picked it up the first time)
  • “Resonance” noise clearly audible at the end of the video (around second 14, noise present since the power steering pump was changed)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eQFPSwdpMtN9MEom6

Thank you for your help!
I had all three noises (11.000 kms) until once after a tight parking back in December started a huge cracking noise all over in cold start. Took it to the dealer inmediately, steering fluid level was below minimum. They replaced the steering pump and drained the circuit.
What is incredible is that after 400 kms now, all three noises have disappeared, even the one in your first video which we all thought it was normal, since I had it previously in the Evora too.
Don´t know if this helps, but I would have them check again the hydraulic circuit.

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had all three noises (11.000 kms) until once after a tight parking back in December started a huge cracking noise all over in cold start. Took it to the dealer inmediately, steering fluid level was below minimum. They replaced the steering pump and drained the circuit.
What is incredible is that after 400 kms now, all three noises have disappeared, even the one in your first video which we all thought it was normal, since I had it previously in the Evora too.
Don´t know if this helps, but I would have them check again the hydraulic circuit.
That was exactly my main suspicion!!!!

107US

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hello Andrea & everyone,

I recently picked up my V6 F.E. (manufactured July 23) two weeks ago and haven't had much chance to drive it extensively. I've noticed the same metallic noise as cited above when parking the car - I can hear it only when manoeuvring at very low speed and only if turning the steering wheel fully, so full steering lock. This seems to be the only noise I've noticed with the car. Wondering if this is normal or if I should already be concerned :)

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sounds like the same power steering issue people above reported.

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great videos/explanation Andrea. Weird that your dealer can't find anything and doesn't accept the "video evidence" which seems quite clear. If rechecking/servicing the "hydraulic circuit" doesn't clear it up or your dealer refuses to try this again, do you have another dealership close by, to provide a "second opinion"? Thanks and keep us posted.

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great videos/explanation Andrea. Weird that your dealer can't find anything and doesn't accept the "video evidence" which seems quite clear. If rechecking/servicing the "hydraulic circuit" doesn't clear it up or your dealer refuses to try this again, do you have another dealership close by, to provide a "second opinion"? Thanks and keep us posted.
Thanks, sorry for my English, I've tried my best with google translator help

This coming Thursday, the day after tomorrow, two lotus representatives will be at the dealer, one responsible of the after sales and the other a technician but for the electric vehicles, the dealer will show the videos and present the issue but I don't think it will be helpful; I have a local garage who I go for standard quick things like changing pads, brake oil etc.... I talked with him and he agrees with me it might be the power steering oil. I'll wait for what comes from Lotus, I might go with lotus solution (if they'll come with one) or decide to ask my local garage to do a power steering oil change, if nothing works than I'm afraid I'll have to do to a farer lotus garage, hopefully more competent, to sort things out. In Bergamo there is one who also owns a race team who runs with lotus cars, I hope they'll know what they do but that would be the latest choice.

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

This coming Thursday, the day after tomorrow, two lotus representatives will be at the dealer, one responsible of the after sales and the other a technician but for the electric vehicles, the dealer will show the videos and present the issue but I don't think it will be helpful; I have a local garage who I go for standard quick things like changing pads, brake oil etc.... I talked with him and he agrees with me it might be the power steering oil. I'll wait for what comes from Lotus, I might go with lotus solution (if they'll come with one) or decide to ask my local garage to do a power steering oil change, if nothing works than I'm afraid I'll have to do to a farer lotus garage, hopefully more competent, to sort things out. In Bergamo there is one who also owns a race team who runs with lotus cars, I hope they'll know what they do but that would be the latest choice.
None of your issues as recorded are normal and I certainly don’t have them on my car. The only steering related noise you can get is when absolute full lock (turning the wheel to its most extreme position while parking or similar). However if you stop just short of this point there is no noise at all. Very surprised that the dealer can’t hear it / find the issue. Not sure how close your next approved dealer is but I would try them (maybe initially with the recording if it’s a long way away)

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Your use of English is great, so nothing to worry about and it makes me (and likely others) appreciate the efforts you've made to post your concerns in a language other than your mother tongue, even more. Your comments on these issues will benefit all of us Emira or soon-to-be Emira owners. Thanks again and good luck! (or should I simply say "ciao!"?)

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Had the same issue with creaking while slow turning, dealer fixed, they said its common, they tightened the bolts on the chassis plate. all good now!

Thanks for the tip! I'll have it soon checked by an indipendent garage, could you be more specific in order for me to point him which bolts or the area/plate?

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In
Had the same issue with creaking while slow turning, dealer fixed, they said its common, they tightened the bolts on the chassis plate. all good now!
On my last car after fitting an uprated chassis all was good until 3000 miles and I was getting a creaking noise and a knock mainly when reversing on full lock, especially when hot. As mentioned checking all the torques on the chassis bolts fixed it but it came back again a few months later. After another round of the same the whole front chassis assembly was taken apart, cleaned and greased where needed, rebuilt and all the suspension geometry reset. This fixed it and the issue never came back. Hopefully yours is sorted soon.
Maybe sporty chassis are more likely to have issues of this nature but once properly identified and fixed are ok. I feel your frustration after spending good money for the car and for having to keep going back to the garage when it’s hard to identify.

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thank you both, I'll ask to check all the nuts in the front strut and see what happens

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've just received a cal from my dealer, he told me he showed the video to the lotus representatives and:

As for the creaking when turning the steering wheel, he basically tells me that, since it only happens under certain conditions (when the car is hot like after a trip) and the dealer has not managed to reproduce it, then it is identified as "sporadic " so they wouldn't know how to deal with it, bottom line they said they can't do anything about it and I have to keep it.

For the noise like something not fixed well at the end of the stroke they said that they all do it, some more, some less, I happened to have one that does it more and I have to keep it that way.

I'll leave the comments to you, I'd better not make any.

For them this noise is normal or acceptable:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PPMRWUvsf8bmWq639

I'm speechless.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've just received a cal from my dealer, he told me he showed the video to the lotus representatives and:

As for the creaking when turning the steering wheel, he basically tells me that, since it only happens under certain conditions (when the car is hot like after a trip) and the dealer has not managed to reproduce it, then it is identified as "sporadic " so they wouldn't know how to deal with it, bottom line they said they can't do anything about it and I have to keep it.

For the noise like something not fixed well at the end of the stroke they said that they all do it, some more, some less, I happened to have one that does it more and I have to keep it that way.

I'll leave the comments to you, I'd better not make any.

For them this noise is normal or acceptable:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PPMRWUvsf8bmWq639

I'm speechless.
Definitely not normal or acceptable!

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is very poor customer service.

That response is just semantics to me. I would counter that it is not sporadic but is entirely possible to create it under the correct conditions.

Maybe try to arrange a specific time to take the car into them (and get them have someone on standby at that time to hear it when you arrive), then go drive the car hard so it is happening and let them hear it themselves.

OP
A

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is very poor customer service.

That response just semantics to me. I would counter that it is not sporadic but is entirely possible to create it under the correct conditions.

Maybe try to arrange a specific time to take the car into them (and get them have someone on standby at that time to hear it when you arrive), then go drive the car hard so it is happening and let them hear it themselves.
Completely in line with you, that's exactly what I said: it happens constantly under certain conditions, if you are not able to recreate those conditions it is your fault.

Unfortunately last time I brought the car to em I've done exactly what you said and I had the head of the garage hearing all three noises....he acknowledged them but since they weren't able to replicate them...this is the result.

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow - that seems insane. Hopefully another dealer is more reasonable.