Front license plate mount?

Jimbo$lice

Reaction score
I’ve searched but (surprisingly) can’t find a thread for this. Has anybody seen a USA spec front license plate mount on the Emira? Do they drill into the bumper or not? I’m wondering if a tow eye plate mount would be a decent alternative (see below). Looks like it would probably block one of the forward parking sensors. It would look pretty terrible but could be easily removed and shouldn’t damage the car. If I missed a previous thread please point me there.

Attachments

• IMG_8591.png
    IMG_8591.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,059

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ve searched but (surprisingly) can’t find a thread for this. Has anybody seen a USA spec front license plate mount on the Emira? Do they drill into the bumper or not? I’m wondering if a tow eye plate mount would be a decent alternative (see below). Looks like it would probably block one of the forward parking sensors. It would look pretty terrible but could be easily removed and shouldn’t damage the car. If I missed a previous thread please point me there.
Here’s a thread where the front license plate plinth was discussed on and off throughout the 13 pages.

https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/emira-custom-plates.55/

I haven’t seen any threads lately discussing the North American spec plinth, or if it’s any different from the rest of world plinth(s). North American deliveries just started this month and I’m not aware of anyone discussing it. Perhaps someone could point out another thread.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The front plate holder is two pieces, an ABS plastic mount that is screwed into the plastic of the lower bumper with 4 coarse thread screws (creates permanent holes), and a metal carrier plate that attaches to the mount with 4 bolts.

The two parts:
1000032062.jpg

In "position". Tape is holding loose bolts in place to speed up assembly.
1000032064.jpg

The bottom of the plastic mount showing the contour that matches the bumper shape, along with the 4 holes used to screw into the bumper plastic:
1000032065.jpg

Hope this helps.

OP
J

Jimbo$lice

Reaction score
The front plate holder is two pieces, an ABS plastic mount that is screwed into the plastic of the lower bumper with 4 coarse thread screws (creates permanent holes), and a metal carrier plate that attaches to the mount with 4 bolts.

The two parts:
View attachment 39792

In "position". Tape is holding loose bolts in place to speed up assembly.
View attachment 39793

The bottom of the plastic mount showing the contour that matches the bumper shape, along with the 4 holes used to screw into the bumper plastic:
View attachment 39794

Hope this helps.
Super helpful, thanks! Can you tell me if it will screw into my beautiful Atlantis blue paint or just into the black skid guard/splitter? I could live with it screwing into the black part.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Super helpful, thanks! Can you tell me if it will screw into my beautiful Atlantis blue paint or just into the black skid guard/splitter? I could live with it screwing into the black part.
Right into the paint.

Someone needs to come up with a good mount that sandwiches between the bumper and the lower black lip. Or failing that, a well thought out tow hook mount that doesn't interfere with the parking sensor.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I live in MN (front plate requirement) and just flout the law for my Elise (not drilling into the clam, splitter in the way anyhow) or my 2022 M4 (blocks the sensors). I keep the second plate in the boot and glove box respectively. I'll face the music if / when I'm cited by LEO.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I pledge to purchase the future non-destructive front plate holder that is still centered on the car (not interested in offset tow-mount, etc).

Or, might there be a way to bond 4 studs on to the painted surface (or even better, to PPF) that are threaded up top to allow 4 nuts to hold the piece against the bumper. That would create the option in the future for a "front-plater" to sell an in-tact bumper to a non-front-plater simply by replacing a section of PPF.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@GRP has a tow hook license plate mount. Not sure if it interferes with the parking sensor.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are two bolts under the center that connect the lower black "splitter" to the main part of the bumper. Someone needs to make a thin rigid mount that can be sandwiched there between the existing parts.

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are two bolts under the center that connect the lower black "splitter" to the main part of the bumper. Someone needs to make a thin rigid mount that can be sandwiched there between the existing parts.
@Porter thanks for taking the photos.

I am motivated to design a thin base mount that would sandwich between the front bumper and black splitter that will mate with the OEM metal mounting plate. Been thinking of this for a while because I don’t want to mar my front bumper.

Contemplating aluminum or stainless steel. Aluminum would be lighter, but stainless steel would be stronger (and more expensive). Both can be powder coated black.

I’d need more close up photo details of that area directly from front, and below (and from behind if possible) showing where the bumper and splitter join, and a view of the bolt positions from below (showing the entire black splitter edge to edge, another closer).

Can you provide precise measurements of the distance between the two bolts, centre to centre? Or preferably from inner edge to inner edge (and then I can calculate the centre to centre distance by adding the hole radii, x2 – that should be more precise than you eyeballing the hole centres).

Also need distances (vertical and horizontal) between the four holes on the OEM metal mounting plate where the bolts connect the plate and plinth.

What type of bolts are holding the bumper and splitter together? M6? M8? What bolts hold the mounting plate and plastic plinth together? M4? M5?

What is the distance between the bolt holes and the front edge of the painted bumper? And also distance to the front edge of the splitter? I want to design this base plate so it can be sandwiched between the bumper and splitter, or added underneath the splitter.

Prefer measurements in mm. On second thought, to be consistent, please provide all measurements using the hole edges instead of trying to eyeball their centres. The design will be more precise this way.

Feel free to PM me if you think it would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Porter thanks for taking the photos.

I am motivated to design a thin base mount that would sandwich between the front bumper and black splitter and mate with the OEM metal mounting plate. Been thinking of this for a while because I don’t want to mar my front bumper.

Contemplating aluminum or stainless steel. Aluminum would be lighter, but stainless steel would be stronger (and more expensive). Both can be powder coated black.

I’d need more close up photo details of that area directly from front, and below (and from behind if possible) showing where the bumper and splitter join, and a view of the bolt positions from below (showing the entire black splitter edge to edge, another closer).

Can you provide precise measurements of the distance between the two bolts, centre to centre? Or preferably from inner edge to inner edge (and then I can calculate the centre to centre distance by adding the hole radii, x2 – that should be more precise than you eyeballing the hole centres).

Also need distances (vertical and horizontal) between the four holes on the OEM metal mounting plate where the bolts connect the plate and plinth.

What type of bolts are holding the bumper and splitter together? M6? M8?What bolts hold the mounting plate and plastic plinth together? M4? M5?

What is the distance between the bolt holes and the front edge of the splitter? I want to design this base plate so it can be sandwiched between the bumper and splitter, or added underneath the splitter.

Prefer measurements in mm. On second thought, to be consistent, please provide all measurements using the hole edges instead of trying to eyeball their centres. The design will be more precise this way.

Feel free to PM me if you think it would be more appropriate.
Happy to get this info for you with a proper micrometer, but my car is currently in for paint correction and PPF and I won't see it again for another 2 weeks. In the meantime maybe someone else here can assist?

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@GRP has a tow hook license plate mount. Not sure if it interferes with the parking sensor.

We have another version coming that will be a low/bottom mount and not require any drilling. It also wont block the parking sensors.

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I pledge to purchase the future non-destructive front plate holder that is still centered on the car (not interested in offset tow-mount, etc).

Or, might there be a way to bond 4 studs on to the painted surface (or even better, to PPF) that are threaded up top to allow 4 nuts to hold the piece against the bumper. That would create the option in the future for a "front-plater" to sell an in-tact bumper to a non-front-plater simply by replacing a section of PPF.
I still intend to design a plate mount that will install non-destructively centred at the front, using the existing two bolts that attach the front splitter to the bumper. I also prefer a symmetrical aesthetic. As soon as @Porter can help out with measurements and photos, I can start designing.

Interesting idea trying to bond fastener heads onto the plastic bumper and attaching the plastic plinth to those. You’d have to find a temporary adhesive to bond the metal fasteners to plastic (or PPF). The bonding agent would need to be strong enough to withstand the force of aerodynamic drag caused by a vertically oriented license plate when traveling at speeds up to 180 mph (290 km/h). I know of no temporary bond that would survive that. As miraculously strong as 3M VHB double sided tape is, the wind forces traveling at low speeds would overwhelm any small amount of it holding bolt heads to the bumper. A strong gust of wind (or a sneeze) would probably knock it off. 😂

@scc.131.fe when are you expecting delivery of your car?

Once I get a prototype CNC machined, I’ll be able to verify its fitment on, hopefully, a showroom car at my dealer. (Unless anyone here in Vancouver who takes delivery of an Emira would like to help out with a test fitment?)

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
[[email protected][/USER] when are you expecting delivery of your car?
Car is on the water unless it was offloaded in Baltimore just before the bridge incident. So I might see it within a few weeks depending on rerouting and/or how many Lotus NJ has to process.

Yes, taking advantage of the existing two bolts makes all kinds of sense (vs adhesive).