First Emira Breakdown?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
#bulletdodged

Hate this for you guys, what a disappointment after all of this. I would be absolutely livid if that happened to me.

I think you did dodge a bullet. :( I woke up this morning to read about this breakdown, heater issues, wiper issues, etc... Things aren't looking great. Does UK have similar lemon laws as the US? If a new car has so many issues when new and stuck in the shop for repairs for longer than a certain time, most buyers can hire a good lemon law lawyer and get the car bought back. The process is actually pretty easy here in the US.

Delaware's lemon law compels manufacturers replacing a vehicle to provide a new vehicle comparable to the one being replaced. They must also reimburse the consumer for any incidental costs, including dealer preparation fees, registration fees, sales taxes or other charges.

The Delaware Lemon Law covers drivers whose vehicles suffer a nonconformity or defect within the first 12 months that can't be repaired after four (4) attempts by the manufacturer-authorized dealership. If you have three repair attempts, we can still help under the Federal Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.
Generally, however, four unsuccessful attempts to fix the identical problem within 18 months or 18,000 miles will probably qualify your vehicle as a lemon. Your vehicle may also qualify as a lemon if it spends more that 30 days in the shop within these limitations.

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think you did dodge a bullet. :( I woke up this morning to read about this breakdown, heater issues, wiper issues, etc... Things aren't looking great. Does UK have similar lemon laws as the US? If a new car has so many issues when new and stuck in the shop for repairs for longer than a certain time, most buyers can hire a good lemon law lawyer and get the car bought back. The process is actually pretty easy here in the US.
The UK has Consumer Law that protects us against faulty goods. If the car is not as would be reasonably expected then we have the right to reject it for a full refund.

Certainly not the outcome anyone would want after such a long wait.

Lotus better up their game because this is getting embarrassing 😳

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Armchair CEO here: Man, you would think that with all the extra time on their hands while waiting for parts to arrive over the past year, that Hethel would've given some extra love and attention to the cars that WERE produced?

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The UK has Consumer Law that protects us against faulty goods. If the car is not as would be reasonably expected then we have the right to reject it for a full refund.

Certainly not the outcome anyone would want after such a long wait.

Lotus better up their game because this is getting embarrassing 😳
I’m wondering if this thread is related to the US/Canada delivery thread where all our January builds seem to have been pushed back? Lotus radio silence may be to save a little face.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
#bulletdodged

Hate this for you guys, what a disappointment after all of this. I would be absolutely livid if that happened to me.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is not exclusive to Lotus. The z06 has a bunch of blown motors already. I checked out your caddie forum and plenty of issues there. Someone posted about a new Black wing that looked like someone had wiped it down with sandpaper the swirls were that bad.

Last edited:

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You're right this isn't exclusive to Lotus its common with Porsche too, cars that are days old coming back with oil pissing out of them.

It's usually when the driver takes the car beyond its limit to early , it seems that's not the case here so strange one.

might just be unlucky.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m wondering if this thread is related to the US/Canada delivery thread where all our January builds seem to have been pushed back? Lotus radio silence may be to save a little face.
You are probably correct. Word on the street (and as evidenced here) they should have been cooking in the oven a bit longer. I am sure the big players have been having issues, just being catered and paid to not mention it.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
#bulletdodged

Go away please. It's not like every car has engine issues. Get your boring R8 or whatever car and stop annoying those who are interested in the Emira.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There is no question that many new models are having issues... corvette with it's new flat 8 engine, Mclaren Artura launch has been terrible for reliability. The big difference is this powertrain is as reliable as one can have. A Toyota V6 that's been in production for what, 20 years now. That is literally the definition of reliability lol. Also, Lotus has been working with this same engine for about a decade. (albeit, this seems to be an isolated incident and failures can happen to any engine) Ok I'll admit the new tech and software gremlins may take a little longer to fix via updates, but like it's been said before how many years does that really take? For me they have 6 more months and if by mid 2023 they don't have a handle on these issues I will be leaving. Don't want to be flat bedding an Emira back and forth from the dealer all the time. If the network was bigger I may have thought differently, but being as small as it is, just not worth it.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
You are probably correct. Word on the street (and as evidenced here) they should have been cooking in the oven a bit longer. I am sure the big players have been having issues, just being catered and paid to not mention it.
Those are pretty big claims that require a significant burden of proof. Where's the source for insider statements that the car was released early intentionally bypassing full validations? Any source on journalists compromising their professional integrity to get paid off by Lotus?

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Those are pretty big claims that require a significant burden of proof. Where's the source for insider statements that the car was released early intentionally bypassing full validations? Any source on journalists compromising their professional integrity to get paid off by Lotus?

You are naive if you think it does not happen. Ill use Harry as an example, and bear in mind I think Harry is a great guy and only using him as an example, not saying it is happening.

But lets say he has an issue with his car, Lotus knows hes a youtuber and a big guy in the car scene, they will cater to him not like they would cater to us peasants. If someone of his stature has an issue, they fix it, and fast. There could be some agreement to not publish bad information. Again, not saying its happening, but it does happen. And 99% of the time its not a cut check, its being spoiled by the brand, tickets to goodwood, first dibs on the production line...if you want those things to keep happening, you are mum on the bad stuff.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There is no question that many new models are having issues... corvette with it's new flat 8 engine, Mclaren Artura launch has been terrible for reliability. The big difference is this powertrain is as reliable as one can have. A Toyota V6 that's been in production for what, 20 years now. That is literally the definition of reliability lol. Also, Lotus has been working with this same engine for about a decade. (albeit, this seems to be an isolated incident and failures can happen to any engine) Ok I'll admit the new tech and software gremlins may take a little longer to fix via updates, but like it's been said before how many years does that really take? For me they have 6 more months and if by mid 2023 they don't have a handle on these issues I will be leaving. Don't want to be flat bedding an Emira back and forth from the dealer all the time. If the network was bigger I may have thought differently, but being as small as it is, just not worth it.
Is there problems with the power train? I have not heard of any confirmed problems. OP on this thread does not know what the issue is yet.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is there problems with the power train? I have not heard of any confirmed problems. OP on this thread does not know what the issue is yet.
"Smoke and oil blowing out the back" is powertrain related. Even if a oil line was not secured properly and broke, still related to powertrain IMO.

I did say it seems to be an isolated issue, just bad luck perhaps.... happens to any car. I am more upset at Lotus customer after, and software issues that people can't seem to get updates at the dealer for. Nonetheless I don't think you can diagnose those symptoms the OP had and not call it powertrain related.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts....new model cars always have things that need ironing out. It's never fun for anyone dealing with them and I'm sure it's not fun for the dealers and companies either.
Comparing C8 issues or even Porsche issues is a bit different. My local Chevy dealer is 18 miles from me. The ONLY Lotus dealer in the state is over 200 miles from me. Even though my Emira isn't a DD, it would still be a lot of time and energy and money to deal with the issues the car may have. I am not near any Porsche dealers, however, Porsche is much better sorted and I have much more confidence in how they handle things. I've also yet to have any problems with either of my 911's.
I currently have a cancelation email sitting in drafts.... This is just getting to be ridiculous.

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues, but that's the main reason I cancelled going on how lotus treated people before they even got a car it was never going to be good. The after care is going to become a real issue for lotus.
I'm not looking forward to the experience ahead,getting it fixed...
Silverstone seem to be helpful,but it's the HQ I'm concerned with...

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You're right this isn't exclusive to Lotus its common with Porsche too, cars that are days old coming back with oil pissing out of them.

It's usually when the driver takes the car beyond its limit to early , it seems that's not the case here so strange one.

might just be unlucky.
100% not pushed this early, I'm keeping the car for the long haul and sticking to the rules for the 1000 miles.

After speaking to AA and Lotus Silverstone they think it's more gearbox or components near that are the issue.

Will keep you all posted

Max

Reaction score
The smoke will be the oil burning.
Suggests a leak in the system. Head gasket, pipes, engine block, cylinder head.
Not good. Certainly, do not let anybody start it.

Hopefully it is more innocuous and it is an easy fix.
Either way, this is AWFUL PR and Lotus need to be on these episodes like flies on shit.
This is surprising considering this is a proven engine design that's been in production for ages. Should be stone-ax reliable