Emira Issues - from final production cars

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ECU replacement solved my engine warning light issues / limp mode issues.

The remaining issues I have (listed in my diaries thread) are really minor, but it's in with Lotus Glasgow to have these resolved just now anyway:

1) SOS system error
2) ESC system requires a service appears occassionally
3) Handbrake wouldn't release once when the above error was on
4) couple of items of trim to be refitted better
5) brake discs to be checked - prob no issue, just for re-assurance

Point 5 is confirmed as a non issue, it's the brake disc balancing.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ECU replacement solved my engine warning light issues / limp mode issues.

The remaining issues I have (listed in my diaries thread) are really minor, but it's in with Lotus Glasgow to have these resolved just now anyway:

1) SOS system error
2) ESC system requires a service appears occassionally
3) Handbrake wouldn't release once when the above error was on
4) couple of items of trim to be refitted better
5) brake discs to be checked - prob no issue, just for re-assurance

Point 5 is confirmed as a non issue, it's the brake disc balancing.
So if the brake disc aren’t balanced. Does this cause low speed vibration through the steering? I have new discs on mine and always had vibration through the steering wheel at low speeds since new

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So if the brake disc aren’t balanced. Does this cause low speed vibration through the steering? I have new discs on mine and always had vibration through the steering wheel at low speeds since new
Brake discs are balanced by the manufacturer of the disc. Shaank merely asked his dealer to check whether the "divot" at the edge of his brake rotor was normal, and they confirmed that it is. It's machined in by the rotor manufacturer to balance the rotor during their production process. There's no such thing as rotor balancing on a completed car.

If you have vibration through the steering, you should chat with your dealer. There are many different reasons that this could happen, and most of them are benign. Does it change at all with different surfaces? Smooth vs. pitted asphalt?

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Brake discs are balanced by the manufacturer of the disc. Shaank merely asked his dealer to check whether the "divot" at the edge of his brake rotor was normal, and they confirmed that it is. It's machined in by the rotor manufacturer to balance the rotor during their production process. There's no such thing as rotor balancing on a completed car.

If you have vibration through the steering, you should chat with your dealer. There are many different reasons that this could happen, and most of them are benign. Does it change at all with different surfaces? Smooth vs. pitted asphalt?
I’ve got it booked in. The vibration doesn’t change on either smooth or pitted surface. It’s very noticeable at lower speeds coming from the steering wheel.

Ftype

Reaction score
Hi, could you provide a link to the reports of windows leaking. I follow many Lotus forums and social channels and have seen no mention of this.

A few people have been saying the windscreen can mist up easily, which may be due to the rake angle, but also saying it clears quickly.

Problems selecting fastest wiper speed is a known issue. Software fix due from Lotus.
Worth visiting this forum as there are several issues not reported here including paint blistering https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/119316-emira-paintwork-issues/#comment-1008668

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

JWJ9000

Reaction score
I have the fast speed wiper issue, battery not holding charge and occasional brake hold assist warning

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have the fast speed wiper issue, battery not holding charge and occasional brake hold assist warning
I learnt something new yesterday which may possibly help with the discharging battery. When the car is locked, I noticed that if I pull the car door handle the interior car lights would come on so I thought it is a welcome light.

Every so often, the alarm would activate for no apparent reason. Turns out that my boot wasn’t locked properly. It does seem shut as you can’t tell. But since slamming the boot shut rather than pressing it shut, the interior lights don’t come on when I lift the door handle.

Tbh, the car does seem different when you unlock the car, the stereo comes on without having to hit the ignition start button. I wonder if they should have designed the ignition button so one press for electrics and two presses to start the car would be better.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I learnt something new yesterday which may possibly help with the discharging battery. When the car is locked, I noticed that if I pull the car door handle the interior car lights would come on so I thought it is a welcome light.

Every so often, the alarm would activate for no apparent reason. Turns out that my boot wasn’t locked properly. It does seem shut as you can’t tell. But since slamming the boot shut rather than pressing it shut, the interior lights don’t come on when I lift the door handle.

Tbh, the car does seem different when you unlock the car, the stereo comes on without having to hit the ignition start button. I wonder if they should have designed the ignition button so one press for electrics and two presses to start the car would be better.
My tailgate also doesn't close properly unless I slam it from a height, causing the rear lights to stay on as a warning. You can also see that it isn't quite down. Once I've pressed down on the centre over the latch and on either side over the pressure pads, it closes properly and the rear lights go out on locking the car.

The ignition is activated by holding the start/stop button for 5 seconds, without pressing the clutch pedal, allowing access to most if not all of the functions. You need to remember to power off before getting out, if you don't start the car, otherwise you'll get a warning on the driver display on opening the door and getting out

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I went to seeing my car for the first time at the dealer two weeks ago, I also checked out the boot. Closing it was very easy. I just let go from 10cm height and it closed perfectly with a very positive sound. Felt really high quality. If your boot doesn’t close well, there is something not adjusted correctly. If everything’s fine, you don’t have to do any sort of pushing like it was seen in the Harry’s garage video.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You are meant to close the tailgate gently and then press down on both sides- it visibly lowers about 1/2 cm.

Saying that - Just about every time I get in the car the boot shows open again. I suspect I am unlocking it accidently as the fob seems sensitive.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are reports of several water damaged ECUs as they sit under the rear wheel well

The Engine Control Module sits in the left side of the engine bay tucked forward of and above the airbox inlet. It's just easiest to access for removal through the wheel well once the wheel liner has been removed. That area is not exposed to water spray in any normal condition and I believe it's tucked away in that location specifically to avoid that during (for example) spray wash of the engine compartment.

The module unit itself should be weather sealed as most ECMs are nowadays, and should not be particularly vulnerable to moisture. Not sure about the harness connectors, but most modern ones in engine bays like this are usually gasketed pretty well.

View from wheelwell with fender liner removed, showing location above and forward of the air inlet tube:
1677178332927.png

The ECM is visible in this angle of the left side of the engine bay, above and behind the airbox (air filter housing):
1677177992659.png

Here's the same engine bay view with the airbox itself removed, so you can see the context.
1677178181579.png

Hope this helps. The ECM issue that some people have experienced is almost certainly not a result of being located in a "weird" place that exposes it to weather... it's located there because it's a mid-engine car and that's where the engine is.

Tons of front engine cars have ECM modules in the wing area above and behind the wheel arches in the fender-meets-cowl space, which is very similar to this in exposure.

Last edited:

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You are meant to close the tailgate gently and then press down on both sides- it visibly lowers about 1/2 cm.

Saying that - Just about every time I get in the car the boot shows open again. I suspect I am unlocking it accidently as the fob seems sensitive.

That's such a faff, I just close mine like a normal boot and had no issues, and was told at handover this closing technique is fine.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's such a faff, I just close mine like a normal boot and had no issues, and was told at handover this closing technique is fine.
Yep. Close it like you mean it. Firmly and positively from a reasonable height.

I’ve had no issues when doing that. If I tart around it doesn’t shut properly.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yep. Close it like you mean it. Firmly and positively from a reasonable height.

I’ve had no issues when doing that. If I tart around it doesn’t shut properly.
Mine the same. No issues. If you look at the boot latch and operate it with your finger you can clearly see it has two stages of latching, one not quite fully closed and the second fully closed. Not sure quite why it is like that but a drop from a foot or so is enough with mine to engage it properly. If you settle it down gently it will never engage the second stage of the latch and you will have to do the Harry Metcalfe press. That’s fine but it’s hands on the boot everytime you do it, and if you close it as the dealers appear to be instructing then it will close all in one go.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Should we add engine block oxidation to the list? It seems like every one I'm seeing has some pretty severe oxidation/corrosion on the aluminum block already. I'm starting to think these cars were sitting outside in the elements for a very long time before being delivered. I believe this is mostly cosmetic, but still unsightly on a brand new vehicle. :oops:

2grfe.png

full

full

full

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Should we add engine block oxidation to the list? It seems like every one I'm seeing has some pretty severe oxidation/corrosion on the aluminum block already. I'm starting to think these cars were sitting outside in the elements for a very long time before being delivered. I believe this is mostly cosmetic, but still unsightly on a brand new vehicle. :oops:

View attachment 23166

full

full

full
Mines like this too. I did wonder if I can polish this using a copper wire brush or something.

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
Surely with customers waiting 18+ months they ship them as soon as they are built, no?