Formal complaint regarding wiper issue being filed

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi!

time's up. Wiper still isn't fixed. I'll file a complaint with the German "Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt" to get things going.

I'm hoping they'll set a deadline for Lotus to take action. If they do and Lotus misses said deadline, they can issue sanctions of varying range and severity.

I'm in love with the car and took every issue with ease, but I can't ignore such a safety relevant issue. More then once the car had to stay put since I didn't want to deal with misbehaving wipers at highway speeds.

If you'd like to help, please respond (in thread or private) with your experience regarding this matter.
Points of interest:
  • When did you first notify your dealer of this problem
  • Who is your dealer
  • What actions were taken, if any
    • Did the dealer notify Lotus HQ
    • If so, what was the response and estimated timeframe of a fix
  • Country of your cars registration
  • If you like your VIN
Add or leave whatever you like. Everything counts. Anonymous reports help as well!

Making your data available won't add you to the complaint in any way. The sole purpose of your data is to help the agency decide if this is a valid case or not. They'll investigate themselves.

Thank you!

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Kimmax thanks for the proactivity and your efforts! I'll join in - just let me know what I should do. I had several occassions now as well where I would have loved to have a normal working wiper.

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Kimmax thanks for the proactivity and your efforts! I'll join in - just let me know what I should do. I had several occassions now as well where I would have loved to have a normal working wiper.
Just need whatever data you'd like to share (probably best in a PM) and I'll compile them in a PDF file and add it to the initial report. They'll take it from there. Not sure what the following steps are since I never went through the process before 👀

ott

Reaction score
  • When did you first notify your dealer of this problem
Oct 2022
  • Who is your dealer
Komotec, Germany.
  • What actions were taken, if any
    • Did the dealer notify Lotus HQ
    • If so, what was the response and estimated timeframe of a fix
Dont know and no comments from dealer
  • Country of your cars registration
Not registered yet.

VIN I will send via PM next week.

Hethel Merman

Reaction score
I wonder if they have the same problems with them at the factory. There must be factory people on here who could give us an insider's perspective and tell us how the US/Canada cars are progressing.

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thank you, I received a few responses. I'll file the complaint Monday evening and will keep you posted!

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I will be meeting a Lotus field representative tomorrow regarding my wheel/steering pulsating, I will bring up the wipers issue too. It’s not acceptable that it is still not been resolved because dangerous driving in heavy rain. Is it a software problem or hardware (wiper stalk) problem?

I wonder if this issue is on the newer built Emira’s?

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tested mine in the rain yesterday. Seems to work as specification.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Tested mine in the rain yesterday. Seems to work as specification.
Interesting, I thought it was all Emira’s that does it. So if you put your wipers on auto for a bit, then subsequently flick it to its highest speed, it goes faster or stays the same speed. I tested it today in the rain and it’s still the same. One speed wiper.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was running in intermittent/rain sensing mode as it was very mild rain, I switched up to the next setting, wipers on, and then after a bit switched up to the fastest setting/highest switch position. I had to watch for a bit as the difference between normal and fast is not seismic but there is a difference.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hm. Maybe you can compare the speed right after engine start without going into auto / interval? The speed difference is pretty obvious when you haven't been in auto first.

According to my dealer all cars have the problem and they confirmed what we already know - still no fix.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am not sure what you are asking me. I have seen all three modes doing what they are supposed to do.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was just curious because you mentioned that the difference between the modes wasn't seismic. When I skipped the auto sensing setting and went straight into the highest setting, the speed of the wipers probably doubles and the change in speed is very obvious to notice.

Please don't get me wrong, I believe what you are saying. It would just be a real coincidence if all cars we have heard of show that problem besides
a single one. Especially since this problem looks like a software issue which should be the same on all cars and not depend on a mechanical difference.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Spoke to the field technician and a fix is due imminently from the wiper manufacturer. They’re having issues installing the software onto the canbus firmware system. But an alternative fix is to change the whole wiper motor with the updated software. So maybe this issue only affects the early builds or those who haven’t had a new wiper motor.

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The fix is "imminent" now since what... December? 🤣
Times up - report has been filed.

Im Rahmen der Zuständigkeit als Marktüberwachungsbehörde wird das Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA) den Sachverhalt nun nach Artikel 51 der Verordnung (EU) 2018/858 bzw. Artikel 11 Verordnung (EU) 2019/1020 prüfen und ggf. die erforderlichen Maßnahmen auf Grundlage der jeweiligen Verordnung einleiten.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have only ever left it in AUTO and works fine.
The wiper blades themselves wobble a bit and it can be off putting
Your not the only one. Mine drags and wobbles too. It’s not smooth (as it should be on a new car). Hopefully the software will fix this

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Your not the only one. Mine drags and wobbles too. It’s not smooth (as it should be on a new car). Hopefully the software will fix this
Have you had any type of coating put on your car? It could be residue on the windscreen or wiper blades. I usually put rainX on my windscreens and find it very good. With the exception of my runabout Fiesta, if I put RainX on that, the wipers drag really badly for some reason. If it is residue, a good quality windscreen cleaner will shift it with some effort. a machine polisher with a glass cleaning pad makes the job a bit easier.
I do generally find rainx very good, it also makes removing ice/frost easier. Top tip for applying - the instructions recommend applying with microfibre cloth or pad, which I do. But then they say to polish off which is a right pain and often leaves streaks. Once it has hazed simply rinse with water as the chemical will have already bonded to the glass, so you may think that rinsing will wash it off, but it doesn't and this method saves much time and leaves the glass perfectly clear.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Will give this try. I’m going to clay the windscreen to remove any contaminants, then rain X.