Stuck in first gear

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well I always thought the gear shifter felt a bit funny, but always got the "lotus be like that" responses.

Now it's stuck in first and no way to get it free. At least I got lucky and it happened while correcting to reverse into the garage and we were able to push it in with the clutch pressed. Glad I'm not stuck on the road at this time.

We'll see what the shop has to say tomorrow 😂

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting. Almost certainly a clutch issue, given that the gears are brand new.
Let's hope someone didn't fail to properly fill the transmission fluid!

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ouh oh. Not funny, I cross my fingers for you!

I would really like to be positive and help creating a tonality that reflects joy and optimism. But the amount of people that (a) own a Emira and (b) actively participate here - and then (c) have issues within weeks of ownership is too high. We can't rely on "we don't know how many happy owners are out there that don't have any problems" or "only people with problems post in forums".

If (a) + (b) + (c) is as close to 100% as it is here, it's not a matter of "bad news spreading faster" ... it's just "bad".

Edit: realised my math equation doesn't make sense, but I'm sure you all get what I was trying to say 😅

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

I would really like to be positive and help creating a tonality that reflects joy and optimism. But the amount of people that (a) own a Emira and (b) actively participate here - and then (c) have issues within weeks of ownership is too high. We can't rely on "we don't know how many happy owners are out there that don't have any problems" or "only people with problems post in forums".

If (a) + (b) + (c) is as close to 100% as it is here, it's not a matter of "bad news spreading faster" ... it's just "bad".

Edit: realised my math equation doesn't make sense, but I'm sure you all get what I was trying to say 😅
I said that last week and people said I was wrong/over-exaggerating. It really does seem that most owners are having semi-serious issues within the first 500 miles...

Last edited:

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I said that last week and people said I was wrong/over-exaggerating. It really does seem that must owners are having semi-serious issues within the first 500 miles...
True, does feel that way. But the transmission (gearbox, clutch, cable, etc) is well-proven in this car, so I suspect this particular failure falls into the "bad luck" category rather than pointing to some larger systemic problem

Last edited:

schorsch

Reaction score

Number a = 37 for Germany. At least 37 cars had been registered in Germany until end of January. C is at least 2 for germany (I know of you and Kimmax having had serious issues).

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Who is your dealer if I may ask? Can you ask them what their impression in terms of reliability is so far?
Sold by Sportivo Leipzig and taken care of by Morgan Park | Lotus Hamburg.

Both have been top notch and a joy to deal with so far 👍🏻

I'll hear around a bit today. There wasn't too much to say about it the last time, since deliverys were just scheduled to get going at that time

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would think if the car is running and it wont shift out of first it could be a clutch/master hydraulic issue. If the car is off and you still can't shift there's a linkage problem somewhere. What a horrible issue to hear of regardless.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If it rolls with the clutch depressed then the clutch is fine. Likely the linkage got loose and will no longer engage any other gear. Should be an easy fix with no harm done other than significant inconvenience!

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would think if the car is running and it wont shift out of first it could be a clutch/master hydraulic issue. If the car is off and you still can't shift there's a linkage problem somewhere. What a horrible issue to hear of regardless.
If it rolls with the clutch depressed then the clutch is fine. Likely the linkage got loose and will no longer engage any other gear. Should be an easy fix with no harm done other than significant inconvenience!
It rolls without problem in first, clutch grabs normally. Idles fine with the clutch engaged. Just won't come out of gear, engine running or not.

I'm awaiting a call back from the dealer to see if I need to get it towed or if someone wants to come and fix it here. I too suspect it just being a linkage problem, especially since I always had some trouble with reverse..

Good thing I have a shop nearby :D

Last edited:

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Number a = 37 for Germany. At least 37 cars had been registered in Germany until end of January. C is at least 2 for germany (I know of you and Kimmax having had serious issues).
I think the (b) is an important consideration in that regard. in the first place they register to be part of the community and _then_ the errors start appearing. I know owners in the (a) group that are not registered here but still have issues. Haven't heard anything serious and mostly the stuff that has been discussed here luckily.

But to be fair to Lotus, we here are a very eager and (overly?) critic group of early adopters. A few hundred cars is probably nothing compared to the amount of manufactured examples and time it takes to raise the reliability of a new modell.

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Small update: Shop requested the car to be brought to them, apparently there is nothing in place from Lotus side to give the dealers room to get it towed for you..

I remembered the car came with roadside assistance and gave them a call for the full experience 😂

To my surprise the woman on the other end knew what she was doing and had no trouble understanding my German English. After handing out some numbers and my address she got help rolling.

Currently looking at 45mins until arrival and we'll see how it goes from there 👀

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Local towing service called me and asked if I could postpone because they're busy. I obligated since I'm home and don't need the car right now.

They would definitely have picked it up, but it wouldn't have been worked on today anyways. So as of right now road assistance did it job well. We'll see how it goes when I call tomorrow and ask for a loaner 😂

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In case you need it:

Screenshot_20230216-003730.png