Clutch malfunction and Gearbox can't shift into gear

Although they fixed my clutch, master cylinder, etc. When I let the car sit for 3-4 days, the clutch gets 'tight' and can't go in reverse on 1st attempt. What I do is 'pump' the clutch a few times and it seems to get the fluids moving and then it becomes less 'tight' and then can go in reverse. I have notified the Lotus dealer, but I don't want to take it in yet until they have parts available otherwise will sit there for 2 more weeks.

Although they fixed my clutch, master cylinder, etc. When I let the car sit for 3-4 days, the clutch gets 'tight' and can't go in reverse on 1st attempt.
How bad is it? Does rolling a few centimeters help instead of pumping? Many Emiras have this and "it's how the gearbox is" :LOL:
It tends to get better with each kilometer driven, but it still happens for me at 20k+ from time to time.
Just want to save you another Lotus trip with probably no fix in sight

Last edited:
Although they fixed my clutch, master cylinder, etc. When I let the car sit for 3-4 days, the clutch gets 'tight' and can't go in reverse on 1st attempt. What I do is 'pump' the clutch a few times and it seems to get the fluids moving and then it becomes less 'tight' and then can go in reverse. I have notified the Lotus dealer, but I don't want to take it in yet until they have parts available otherwise will sit there for 2 more weeks.
TBH, I've had this in many manual cars over the years. I'd go as far as to say it is normal. A trick is to put the lever into first and then go into reverse, usually solves it.

TBH, I've had this in many manual cars over the years. I'd go as far as to say it is normal. A trick is to put the lever into first and then go into reverse, usually solves it.
good to know; will try as doesn't go into reverse initially as I let it sit 3-4 days, but doesn't happen when car sits 1-2 days. I am actually frightened to let it sit longer than 4 days as likely won't work (first time I let it sit for 2 weeks as was on vaca even with battery hooked up)

How bad is it? Does rolling a few centimeters help instead of pumping? Many Emiras have this and "it's how the gearbox is" :LOL:
It tends to get better with each kilometer driven, but it still happens for me at 20k+ from time to time.
Just want to save you another Lotus trip with probably no fix in sight
won't take it back to Lotus unless have to
seems pumping helps
hopefully with more miles it gets better
the good news is it forces me to drive the car every 3 days which I love doing

I have the same problem. Went out to drive car, clutch pedal on floor and could not get out of or into gear. Tried pumping, etc and nothing worked so it got towed back to dealer. Sounds just like this problem. Second time going in for warranty work and I also have the "full time" TPMS warning which refuses to go away. Such is life with a Lotus am I right?

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Went out to drive car, clutch pedal on floor and could not get out of or into gear. Tried pumping, etc and nothing worked so it got towed back to dealer. Sounds just like this problem. Second time going in for warranty work and I also have the "full time" TPMS warning which refuses to go away. Such is life with a Lotus am I right?
Wow man, that sucks. While driving if this happened would be more dangerous. Mine did it while parked. This is ridiculous. Keep us posted on what it is 'this time'. Mine gets stuck from time to time when car sits a few days, but with pumping it usually 2-3 times, it 'gets the fluids moving', if that is even the issue. I recorded what happened today and can hear it get stuck half way up but has enough leeway to come back on its own. Will see if can upload. Car sat 4 days. Almost hard to get in reverse.

Got the car back and its been working so far. Only needed a bleed of the system per dealer. Works better than it ever has.

Got the car back and its been working so far. Only needed a bleed of the system per dealer. Works better than it ever has.
Wow that was quick...only 8 days, lol (mine was 2 weeks). That is great that only needed a bleed, although that is what they probably told you but needed more, because shouldn't have taken 8 days for a bleed :)