Have you managed to get out to do any timed runs with this new cloned ECU???Even with my clone ecu, if Lotus really wants to.dig deep, they will find the evidence. This kinda rumor has been going on for so long...
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Have you managed to get out to do any timed runs with this new cloned ECU???Even with my clone ecu, if Lotus really wants to.dig deep, they will find the evidence. This kinda rumor has been going on for so long...
What a bummer to hear!Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask if anyone here is running a JB4 tune on the Lotus Emira V6 Automatic (IPS/DCT) and what your experience has been so far.
I installed JB4 recently, and after only the second drive, my gearbox suddenly developed a serious issue — one solenoid completely stopped working, which caused the car to lose forward gears. Reverse still worked, but the transmission basically failed.
What makes this even more concerning is that the car has only around 2,000 km mileage, so it’s basically still new.
In the end, I had to replace the entire gearbox with a new unit, which was obviously a huge and unexpected repair.
So I’m wondering:
I’d really appreciate hearing from others, because I don’t want to risk damaging the new gearbox.
- Is anyone else using JB4 on the V6 auto?
- Have you had any transmission or solenoid-related issues?
- Do you think JB4 could affect gearbox pressure/heat or trigger failures like this?
- Any advice before I consider reinstalling it again?
I haven't drive it for the last few months sighHave you managed to get out to do any timed runs with this new cloned ECU???
SLACKER !!!I haven't drive it for the last few months sigh
I’ll drive your car for you while I’m in ChinaI haven't drive it for the last few months sigh
Yes, technically it would have been possible to replace just the solenoid.What a bummer to hear!
As Squish mentioned we have had a decent number of auto guys running the JB4 units with no issues so far, so you would be the first reported if it was actually caused by it.
Did you do or the shop do any verification/diag without the JB4 connected after the issue started? That would have been the first step I would have recommended -- disconnect the unit, reset and try it out.
If it was in fact just a solenoid its crazy they would not just swap that out, those are a few $100 from Toyota and super easy to install. I wish you would have emailed me prior to doing an entire transmission.
Sometimes the TCU can "think" its a solenoid failure when in fact its actually seeing or not seeing what it wants from an shaft input speed sensor/output speed sensor caused by a slipping clutch pack or similar. The auto transmissions are fickle units sometimes.
That is incorrect, the transmission uses stock U660 toyota internal parts, they are untouched by Lotus for these cars.Yes, technically it would have been possible to replace just the solenoid.
However, the issue is that the pressure/spec of that solenoid is not exactly the same as a standard basic Toyota solenoid, so there was no real guarantee how long it would actually last.
Also, replacing it is not a simple quick job — you still have to remove the entire engine, drop the whole gearbox, drain all fluids, and basically do a full teardown. It’s a huge amount of labor either way.
That’s why I decided to buy a completely new transmission instead, and I’m keeping the old one as a backup in case anything happens again or if I need parts in the future.
unlike the manual trans(which user controls) the Automatic transmission *RELIES ON AND REQUIRES* Accurate information from the ECU side (engine) in order to calculate torque, solenoid pressures, shift timing, etc. The JB4 Spoofs sensitive data and likely the TCM is getting *inaccurate* data, which in turn the TCM calculates wrong pressures, wrong shift timing, wrong torque controls to match engine torque, etc. The loss of your transmission is not surprising. Very unfortunate. Sorry to hear.
LOL, no trace............. Did they forget the ECU data logs
You know this is outright false right? Just straight up outright false. “Even with an ECU swap”
Yall say the same stuff on your site about Toyotas which is also just outright false, and has proven to be false by multiple Tacoma folks
I have a feeling "someone" was trying to sell their customers expensive ECU swaps to "avoid detection" and I accidentally stepped all over the racket with commonly known general information. Was not my intention. But I will say when your competition is coming into your support thread to try to stir things up for themselves you know you're doing something right.looks to be a pay-per-view event here....
There is no such thing as “more powerful internal mapping”
There is literally no such thing.
You spoof the MAF (aka airflow readings) and MAP (aka boost readings) as far as I know
Which in turns violates load calculations letting you run on parts of the tables that are normally preserved for part throttle/non WOT
Confidently states there is literally no such thing as more powerful internal mapping. Then next sentence describes a technical method for accessing more powerful internal mapping.
Yes some tables are indexed for load positions, but other tables are indexed for base barometric pressure, charge air temperatures, and several other inputs. Finding the right combination of table changes to achieve the desired boost, timing, and air/fuel ratio is the skill. And can be especially tricky when you don't always have access to the DAMOS to look directly. The JB4 system has to make changes, monitor them, adapt, and learn in real time. There is a reason its often imitated but rarely duplicated.
For those interested in some of the back-end details our recent C8 ZR1 video offers a little design insight.
My 2019 NSX stock made 573 horse power. After Fabspeed parts were installed, like the ZR1, and the JB4 on Map 3 with 100 octane it made around 700 horse power.
How is it that my NSX made more power from stock than the ZR1 that has double the horse power stock?
Dude, there is no definitive proof that a transmission failed because of the JB4, and in fact based on Terry’s track record with thousands of deployments it’s very unlikely. Additionally, there is no proof of a working ECU flash for an Emira (not an Evora) from your camp (yeah yeah the dyno results are coming). I was really hopeful - and still am - that you are successful. But I’m out simply because of the lack of professionalism that I worry would carry over to purchases.unlike the manual trans(which user controls) the Automatic transmission *RELIES ON AND REQUIRES* Accurate information from the ECU side (engine) in order to calculate torque, solenoid pressures, shift timing, etc. The JB4 Spoofs sensitive data and likely the TCM is getting *inaccurate* data, which in turn the TCM calculates wrong pressures, wrong shift timing, wrong torque controls to match engine torque, etc. The loss of your transmission is not surprising. Very unfortunate. Sorry to hear.