JB4 Thread for Lotus Emira AMG i4 (M139 Engine) – Tuning, Setup, Results & Support

Errm, I wouldn't judge people just by their posts... He used a good portion of the 400+ in my V6 manual last week on the track, and probably could easily have done 2'02 on his first try on Fuji Speedway in the DCT. I would have loved to see him drive the ECU tuned i4 demo car that a shop brought along !

Point taken.
 
Can confirm, they have been super responsive. We're still troubleshooting the situation, so I'll report back when it is (hopefully) fixed.

I managed to get the reading of the code, 289 I think but I didn't manage to take a screenshot. Now I'm currently unable to read the codes through the app.

We'll see how far we get today.
Hello everyone

After numerous installs and re-installs, part swaps and tests, I am (very) happy to report that JB4 is finally working! I had lost all hope of getting it to work on my version (360hp EU) but thanks to the persistence and support from Terry, we finally got it to work.

I'm currently on Map2 with no issues and I'll be driving for the next couple of days on it to see if anything pops up.

If you are on the fence, give it a go! I can't recommend Burger Tuning enough. 💪
 
Hello everyone

After numerous installs and re-installs, part swaps and tests, I am (very) happy to report that JB4 is finally working! I had lost all hope of getting it to work on my version (360hp EU) but thanks to the persistence and support from Terry, we finally got it to work.

I'm currently on Map2 with no issues and I'll be driving for the next couple of days on it to see if anything pops up.

If you are on the fence, give it a go! I can't recommend Burger Tuning enough. 💪
This is all good, especially with the help they have given, but if I bought a JB4 I'd expect to fit it once and that's the end of the job. You shouldn't have had to do all that messing around. It's supposed to be plug and play!
 
This is all good, especially with the help they have given, but if I bought a JB4 I'd expect to fit it once and that's the end of the job. You shouldn't have had to do all that messing around. It's supposed to be plug and play!
I believe the majority of is straight forward without any issues
 
Exactly. I think my case was a bit of an exception with some bad luck and user error in the mix.
Are you going to get your car on the rolling road to see what the power gain is? I'd also be interested to see what your 0-100kph and 1/4 mile times are now. Are you going to do any testing? I have the 360hp version as well.
 
This is all good, especially with the help they have given, but if I bought a JB4 I'd expect to fit it once and that's the end of the job. You shouldn't have had to do all that messing around. It's supposed to be plug and play!


What’s the similarities between a Lotus Emira and a JB4?
Purchasers love them.
What’s the differences between a Lotus Emira and a JB4?
On the very rare occasion when a glitch takes place with a JB4, Terry and his team at Burger Tuning willingly, promptly, successfully resolve the issue. A perfect example of professional PR management.
Geely/Lotus………………. ???????
 
Are you going to get your car on the rolling road to see what the power gain is? I'd also be interested to see what your 0-100kph and 1/4 mile times are now. Are you going to do any testing? I have the 360hp version as well.
I wouldn't mind, purely out of curiosity, to get it to a dyno and see the final numbers, but I don't know any around here and the butt dyno is quite happy. If I do ever get some numbers, I'll be sure to share.
 
There is a lot of great information posted here. I am a novice so dont judge me. Some of the terminology is lost on me. I understand the instal is tough. My question is after instal, is this a "set it" and "forget it" type device that just automatically gives you more HP and makes the car faster or does it require constant attention. I am not sure how the device works or how much knowledge it will require to use it. Would be great to have an instal video of all the steps and then video on how to set up your preferred map, monitoring, etc. Video using the unit in Real life. I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I have found there are a lot of smart people here that are willing to educate the less experienced owners. I have a US based I4. What could I expect to experience with the JB4 unit?
 
I cannot comment on the installation difficulty level of the i4 model (I have experience with the V6), but the device itself is a "set it and forget it" type thing. Further down the road (rabbit hole), you may want to contact the tuner to create custom settings for you, but by then you may be considering other options. So, in short, st it and forget it.
 
I cannot comment on the installation difficulty level of the i4 model (I have experience with the V6), but the device itself is a "set it and forget it" type thing. Further down the road (rabbit hole), you may want to contact the tuner to create custom settings for you, but by then you may be considering other options. So, in short, st it and forget it.
Thank you
 
There is a lot of great information posted here. I am a novice so dont judge me. Some of the terminology is lost on me. I understand the instal is tough. My question is after instal, is this a "set it" and "forget it" type device that just automatically gives you more HP and makes the car faster or does it require constant attention. I am not sure how the device works or how much knowledge it will require to use it. Would be great to have an instal video of all the steps and then video on how to set up your preferred map, monitoring, etc. Video using the unit in Real life. I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I have found there are a lot of smart people here that are willing to educate the less experienced owners. I have a US based I4. What could I expect to experience with the JB4 unit?
For the i4 it’s difficult to reach the bottom sensor especially if you are not mechanically inclined. People say removing the ac compressor from underneath the car to reach the sensor is the easiest way, I did not do that, I just tried with various long picks until it went in. TDI (another company that makes piggy back devices for the emira) has instructions on moving away the ac compressor.

Yea the device is basically set it and forget it and it allows you to monitor other stats if the obd2 cable is also plugged in.

Piggy backs intercept signals and send back its own signals to the ECU. The ECU contains multiple tables that affect power through various means and the piggy back’s job is to try to get the ECU to use those tables that can maximum power.
 
For the i4 it’s difficult to reach the bottom sensor especially if you are not mechanically inclined. People say removing the ac compressor from underneath the car to reach the sensor is the easiest way, I did not do that, I just tried with various long picks until it went in. TDI (another company that makes piggy back devices for the emira) has instructions on moving away the ac compressor.

Yea the device is basically set it and forget it and it allows you to monitor other stats if the obd2 cable is also plugged in.

Piggy backs intercept signals and send back its own signals to the ECU. The ECU contains multiple tables that affect power through various means and the piggy back’s job is to try to get the ECU to use those tables that can maximum power.

For the i4 it’s difficult to reach the bottom sensor especially if you are not mechanically inclined. People say removing the ac compressor from underneath the car to reach the sensor is the easiest way, I did not do that, I just tried with various long picks until it went in. TDI (another company that makes piggy back devices for the emira) has instructions on moving away the ac compressor.

Yea the device is basically set it and forget it and it allows you to monitor other stats if the obd2 cable is also plugged in.

Piggy backs intercept signals and send back its own signals to the ECU. The ECU contains multiple tables that affect power through various means and the piggy back’s job is to try to get the ECU to use those tables that can maximum power.
That is great information thank you. So does this make the car faster 0-60 or does the piggy back just deliver the power differently. Either way how much improvement are you likely to see
 
That is great information thank you. So does this make the car faster 0-60 or does the piggy back just deliver the power differently. Either way how much improvement are you likely to see
Feels faster to me but I didn’t dyno. It could all potentially be the way the power is delivered too.
 
There is a lot of great information posted here. I am a novice so dont judge me. Some of the terminology is lost on me. I understand the instal is tough. My question is after instal, is this a "set it" and "forget it" type device that just automatically gives you more HP and makes the car faster or does it require constant attention. I am not sure how the device works or how much knowledge it will require to use it. Would be great to have an instal video of all the steps and then video on how to set up your preferred map, monitoring, etc. Video using the unit in Real life. I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I have found there are a lot of smart people here that are willing to educate the less experienced owners. I have a US based I4. What could I expect to experience with the JB4 unit?
I would say it's set it and forget it on the JB4...unless you have issues, lol. What does that mean? It means the platform works well but...some people including me have had issues and without the support of the shop I use I would have been beached a few times. Do you have some tech support around you like a shop you bring your fast cars to? Most likely it will be fine but just understand a few people have had some basic things that Terry (JB4) helped and replaced things to fix. He's awesome btw. I had mine working with methanol injection and it was a screamer (although the CPC was always interjecting more on that below). But I did run into several issues and eventually decided to remove the system. Again it works really well and you shouldn't have any issues...unless you do lol.

If you just want a faster I4 with more torque and hp I would say just wait a couple/few months for the Inokinetic ecu tune to come out officially and that will be very much set it and forget it since you are adjusting the parameters on the actual ECU not a piggyback. The current state of the tuning landscape is there is a Lotus encryption on this little black box that no one has cracked. So the power delivery and the overall power gains are a bit compromised now until someone cracks that little magic black box. The JB4 and other ecu tunes are kind of dancing around this little black box called the CPC but it's not perfect right now. It will all get resolved in the next few months (hopefully).
 
I was able to do a 3.2 second 0-60 @ 11.4 1/4 mile with a density altitide of 1500'. It is faster with the JB4 but first chance i get for a full tune and cpc Im there. I feel the cpc interfering as well. I run map 3 and 4 on the Turbo FE. So who is d0ing this tune VF or Ikonetic? Which is better?
 
Last edited:
There is a lot of great information posted here. I am a novice so dont judge me. Some of the terminology is lost on me. I understand the instal is tough. My question is after instal, is this a "set it" and "forget it" type device that just automatically gives you more HP and makes the car faster or does it require constant attention. I am not sure how the device works or how much knowledge it will require to use it. Would be great to have an instal video of all the steps and then video on how to set up your preferred map, monitoring, etc. Video using the unit in Real life. I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I have found there are a lot of smart people here that are willing to educate the less experienced owners. I have a US based I4. What could I expect to experience with the JB4 unit?

I had an increase of 60 Hp and 33 nm torque on my 360 Hp Australian Emirs. No problems, goes well.
 
...The JB4 and other ecu tunes are kind of dancing around this little black box called the CPC but it's not perfect right now. It will all get resolved in the next few months (hopefully).
This.

Whoever solves for the CPC encryption first, will open the flood gates to real tuning for the i4. As a reminder, the AMG M139 has several proven tuning maps in several of their other Mercedes specific applications.

The problem is the encryption (ECU cracked but CPC still pending) was raised to another level of crazy in the Lotus application. Once it's broken, there's already tons of proven tuning work that can be quickly adapted.
 
At what HP should one consider the upgraded intercooler and turbo
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top