Exhaust System Upgrade Options Available for Turbo I4 AMG Engine Yet?

I’m assuming you are revving in non sport mode right? Try revving in track mode to get the valves to open. I do notice the tone of my engine changes if I do have a CEL related to valve controller or boost pressure (pops not existent).

Personally I have installed the Mach 5 downpipe with Mach 5 catback valved exhaust along with the milltek v2 controller (mach5 valve controller only allows open or close and no OEM mode). I have no engine codes or CEL from this setup. I do not know what it would have sounded like with just the catback and valve controller but I would assume similar sound.
Sadly that was track mode.
 
Sadly that was track mode.
lol at least your car is lighter with titanium. Simplify then add lightness and all.

Yea the exhaust recalibration I didn’t want to deal with so I just got the v2 controller since I put the factory valve motor on the mach5 exhaust. Your dealer sucks if they won’t even recalibrate the exhaust, sadly it requires emirads software to do it so it has to be the dealership. I would understand if they wouldn’t want to install a downpipe since that messes with emissions but this is just a catback exhaust…
 
Did you change the down pipe and are you in the USA? The USA i4 has a particle filter in the down pipe.
I’ve since changed the exhaust since then, I have a straight through exhaust now and factory exhaust valve is relocated, I don’t get a CEL now and didn’t get one before, once I had the valve recalibrated. At that time I did have a sports cat, and no, not in USA.

My previous comments were about the sound if your car has an exhaust valve code. I doubt a cat back exhaust would cause a CEL other than for an exhaust valve error.
 
I’ve since changed the exhaust since then, I have a straight through exhaust now and factory exhaust valve is relocated, I don’t get a CEL now and didn’t get one before, once I had the valve recalibrated. At that time I did have a sports cat, and no, not in USA.

My previous comments were about the sound if your car has an exhaust valve code. I doubt a cat back exhaust would cause a CEL other than for an exhaust valve error.
CEL didn't come until after the exhaust was installed.
 
lol at least your car is lighter with titanium. Simplify then add lightness and all.

Yea the exhaust recalibration I didn’t want to deal with so I just got the v2 controller since I put the factory valve motor on the mach5 exhaust. Your dealer sucks if they won’t even recalibrate the exhaust, sadly it requires emirads software to do it so it has to be the dealership. I would understand if they wouldn’t want to install a downpipe since that messes with emissions but this is just a catback exhaust…
So you guys think I need the valve controller? If I just recalibrate the exhaust do you think I will still get a CEL down the road?
 
So you guys think I need the valve controller? If I just recalibrate the exhaust do you think I will still get a CEL down the road?
I think if you can get someone to recalibrate, I don’t believe you will have any CEL related to your valve controller. What are your current CEL codes?
 
You can probably get away with it but you're not getting the best bang for your buck because you will still be stuck with the Lotus parameters of when you have the valve open. Depending on your mode and RPM and load. I would rather just be able to open and close it in all scenarios so for me it was worth getting the mill tech valve controller forgetting about the recalibration and just taking control back
I think if you can get someone to recalibrate, I don’t believe you will have any CEL related to your valve controller. What are your current CEL codes?
 
It's a pain in the ass no doubt. That Cat doesn't leave much room for waggling. The catless is a dream all bolts are accessible easily from the top other than the bottom V clamp
I thought i managed to unbold everything but i missed the main bold underneath ... but how in hell can we reach it ? really everything is possible through the access panel ? for me, even from under it, it is difficult .. and what is the size used ? 18 ? thx in advance
 
Last edited:
I thought i managed to unbold everything but i missed the main bold underneath ... but how in hell can we reach it ? really everything is possible through the access panel ? for me, even from under it, it is difficult .. and what is the size used ? 18 ? thx in advance
Remove both the diffuser and aluminum bottom rear tray and you can access the bolt easily that attaches the downpipe to the exhaust
 
Remove both the diffuser and aluminum bottom rear tray and you can access the bolt easily that attaches the downpipe to the exhaust
Any new gaskets needed to install the downpipe?
 
Any new gaskets needed to install the downpipe?
There is a gasket between the turbo exhaust to downpipe that I renewed, can remove the old one with a pick tool. It’s like some sort of compressed silver material so if you damage it during removal of your downpipe, I would definitely replace it
 
Thanks, I may as well take the opportunity to do the same. Any idea on size?
 
I think if you can get someone to recalibrate, I don’t believe you will have any CEL related to your valve controller. What are your current CEL codes?
Did not work.
I think if you can get someone to recalibrate, I don’t believe you will have any CEL related to your valve controller. What are your current CEL codes?
Recalibration of the exhaust did not work. $5k mistake.
 
I think if you can get someone to recalibrate, I don’t believe you will have any CEL related to your valve controller. What are your current CEL codes?
That didn't work. After recalibration it still threw check engine light
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top