US I4 (400hp) has fake engine noise pumped through speakers

No I wasn't thinking about the misfire issue, that looks totally unrelated. I was thinking about some other issue that may arise on the audio or electrical side
There is one big issue that happens for sure...you don't hear that ridiculous synthetic engine noise anymore lol!

Really nothing will happen to your car, it's an isolated feature has nothing to do with anything other than the generated noise. The signal is coming from a sensor that's catching the live rpm's into the stock DSP - this line is isolated and not connected to anything else in the car. My audio shop tested each pin in the harnesses to make sure nothing was cross connected. Not only would Lotus never know you did this, like others say it's easy to reconnect. Snip away :)
 
Is it ok to unplug the connector with the battery still connected? Or should the battery be disconnected first?
It is a hard panel to remove. It does soften up a little bit if you repetitively remove and reinstall it….lol.

Okay, this is how i remove it. Take it for what its worth.

If looking at panel head on, there is a black bracket on the bottom left of the panel. I stick my finger in there and pull panel out. You will disengage the bottom yellow clip.

View attachment 72641

View attachment 72642

I shimmy my fingers upwards towards the top and pull. You will disengage the second yellow clip. Note: why its difficult to remove and reinstall is the top edge of that panel sits well under the plastic trim of the speaker grille. Just pull upper left corner of panel out from under the speaker grille.

View attachment 72643
Then continue to pull panel out and then forward to completely remove. There are guide tabs on the right side of the panel (firewall side) but no retention clips.

View attachment 72644

In this next pictures, you can see the 2 yellow clips and the 3 guide tabs and their corresponding insertion locations. (Dont mind the sound deadening material on the panel)

View attachment 72645

View attachment 72646

you can see the wire that need clipping circled in green….lol. I didnt tape it off (probably because i was pissed at how hard it was to remove the panel!)

To reinstall the panel is also a major PITA your first few times…i can fly it in there pretty easily now. The best way I do it is lead with the right upper corner under the speaker grille trim first, push panel back towards firewall, bend left upper corner of panel under the speaker grille trim and then push bottom of panel back into original position. Only after i get panel seated back into original position do i then reinsert the yellow clips and guide tabs back into their appropriate slots.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the great write-up. I ended up removing the floor carpet, which made it a bit easier to remove the panel. Is it ok to remove the plug with the battery still connected or should i disconnect the battery first? I am planning to de-pin the plug instead of cutting the wire
 
Is it ok to unplug the connector with the battery still connected? Or should the battery be disconnected first?

Thanks for the great write-up. I ended up removing the floor carpet, which made it a bit easier to remove the panel. Is it ok to remove the plug with the battery still connected or should i disconnect the battery first? I am planning to de-pin the plug instead of cutting the wire
no need to disconnect the battery.
 
Aussie cars also do it, I did this the other day and it's absence is very noticeble in sport/track.

I am a little out of touch with the fake engine sound. Am I to understand the sound into the cabin only occurs when turning on and listening to music? Or does it also pump into the cabin when answering/using the phone?
By now you’ve probably picked up that I drive without the ‘radio’ on or music playing. I’m too focused on listening to what I do hope is the genuine sound and beat of the engine!
Thanks in advance for any clarification.
 
It’s always
I am a little out of touch with the fake engine sound. Am I to understand the sound into the cabin only occurs when turning on and listening to music? Or does it also pump into the cabin when answering/using the phone?
By now you’ve probably picked up that I drive without the ‘radio’ on or music playing. I’m too focused on listening to what I do hope is the genuine sound and beat of the engine!
Thanks in advance for any clarification.
It’s always on regardless of music or on or off a phone. With the i4 engine, you will always hear a generated noise by the system, not the sound of the actual i4 engine. The real sound is actually pretty quiet.
 
It’s always

It’s always on regardless of music or on or off a phone. With the i4 engine, you will always hear a generated noise by the system, not the sound of the actual i4 engine. The real sound is actually pretty quiet.

Thank you so much. Now………. Now, where did I put my side cutters…….. bye, bye green wire. They are just about to meet each other.
Appreciate your response.
 
Thank you so much. Now………. Now, where did I put my side cutters…….. bye, bye green wire. They are just about to meet each other.
Appreciate your response.

Having stepped out of the ‘anti social’ Jag F-type V8, sound, four pots might sound a bit tame, but at least it will be real!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kaz
Having stepped out of the ‘anti social’ Jag F-type V8, sound, four pots might sound a bit tame, but at least it will be real!
You can get the sound to be very antisocial if you want lol, downpipe and straight pipe exhaust will be very throaty with tons of volume - I have a sports cat with the Mach5 straight pipe and it's perfect, very loud when you want, quiet enough to have conversation in the car (road noise is louder than the exhaust in touring).
 
Joining the switch option with an inline harness. Finally got the parts
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260501_135308955_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260501_135308955_HDR.webp
    216.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Where did you stick the switch?
I put a male connector on one end, and a female on the other end in case I want to plug it back in, but your harness is cleaner and allows for a full factory reset. What is your impression of the lack of fake noise?
 
I put a male connector on one end, and a female on the other end in case I want to plug it back in, but your harness is cleaner and allows for a full factory reset. What is your impression of the lack of fake noise?
I haven't installed it yet. Car is still having paint protection film (PPF). Installed. Many in this thread say it sounds way better without the fake nose. Quieter cabin.
 
I haven't installed it yet. Car is still having paint protection film (PPF). Installed. Many in this thread say it sounds way better without the fake nose. Quieter cabin.
I think you will appreciate it, my girlfriend and I both noticed it, I notice everything but for her to say something was more telling!
 
might come through center channel? Your turn signals will go mute though
Curious, if I kill the center channel, will it turn off the turn signal noise?

I am about to install a DSP and want to make sure to keep that. I am replacing the center channel speaker as well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top