US I4 (400hp) has fake engine noise pumped through speakers

Start with the bottom from corner, pull out and down!
Taking out the parcel try (shelf) makes removal of that curved piece of trim a little easier. It certainly helps with re-installation to have that parcel try removed. The two clips for tie down straps, need to be unscrewed to remove that tray. Observe the orientation of those clips for re-fixing/screwing back in place, leaving one loosely fitted while you fit the second. That allows slight movement of the tray to properly reposition the clips and holding screws in place.
 
I got the clips undone. Should I pull straight out? I read you should rotate it counter clockwise?
The bottom edge of that small trim panel is wedged about 1/2" below the level of the carpeted shelf and there are 3 lip tabs on the right side of that trim panel, so I found that the best way to remove it is to slip your fingers in to the opening groove where the hook of the net protrudes and pull the trim piece out, upwards and towards the left with some force. That trim piece bends and is pretty resilient. Perhaps the higher risk is the destruction of the plastic clips which are easy to mess up when you attempt to put the trim piece back, but those are common and easily replaceable panel clips.
 
I just finally ordered the extra harness extension and switch so I dont have to cut the factory harness, was going to do this a long time ago but never got around. Will probably install it whenever the parts come, looks like removing the panel is both straight forward AND a bitch at the same time? Lol
 
no judgements here but...has anyone reverted back to stock sound? You can hear the fake sound in all the 420 Sport videos too. (and I was lying yes there is judgement because you have to be out of your mind to prefer the fake noise) :D Point being anyone wanting to create reversible wiring I don't think you have to worry that someone will WANT the fake sound. Clean wiring I think is an awesome idea.
 
no judgements here but...has anyone reverted back to stock sound? You can hear the fake sound in all the 420 Sport videos too. (and I was lying yes there is judgement because you have to be out of your mind to prefer the fake noise) :D Point being anyone wanting to create reversible wiring I don't think you have to worry that someone will WANT the fake sound. Clean wiring I think is an awesome idea.
To be honest, now I know why they add that fake sound. My car is getting fuel injector replaced under warranty so the whole car needs to be revert back to stock. Without the modified ecm, blow off valve, intake, straight downpipe and exhaust, I feel like I am driving an EV in the mean time of waiting for the injector replacement. It is absolutely quiet as a mule!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Kaz
no judgements here but...has anyone reverted back to stock sound? You can hear the fake sound in all the 420 Sport videos too. (and I was lying yes there is judgement because you have to be out of your mind to prefer the fake noise) :D Point being anyone wanting to create reversible wiring I don't think you have to worry that someone will WANT the fake sound. Clean wiring I think is an awesome idea.
I like it, it makes me think I am Ayrton Senna, whilst driving at 20mph :)
OK, so the disillusionment that occurs when some Ford Focus shoots past, shatters that, but for those brief few seconds............
 
  • Love
Reactions: Kaz
To be honest, now I know why they add that fake sound. My car is getting fuel injector replaced under warranty so the whole car needs to be revert back to stock. Without the modified ecm, blow off valve, intake, straight downpipe and exhaust, I feel like I am driving an EV in the mean time of waiting for the injector replacement. It is absolutely quiet as a mule!
I've been intrigued by folks having to revert back to OEM for warranty repairs and can't help but wonder if this is more of a Lotus Dealer thing as opposed to a Lotus thing. I have lots of mods on mine, most of which I' don't plan on reversing and I've had an AC vent diverter module replaced under warranty some months ago and my dealer never even questioned my mods. Granted mine wasn't a drivetrain related repair, but I suspect that even if it were, the folks at my dealer are cool guys who protect their client's interests. Unless a mod specifically caused the damage, I don't think they even bother to log or report them. Do you think my assessment is off by chance? My local dealer also happens to be a very large Lamborghini (and other brands) dealer and those owners are notorious for modifying their cars. If they were reporting mods on them, they'd have a very pissed off clients base.
 
I've been intrigued by folks having to revert back to OEM for warranty repairs and can't help but wonder if this is more of a Lotus Dealer thing as opposed to a Lotus thing. I have lots of mods on mine, most of which I' don't plan on reversing and I've had an AC vent diverter module replaced under warranty some months ago and my dealer never even questioned my mods. Granted mine wasn't a drivetrain related repair, but I suspect that even if it were, the folks at my dealer are cool guys who protect their client's interests. Unless a mod specifically caused the damage, I don't think they even bother to log or report them. Do you think my assessment is off by chance? My local dealer also happens to be a very large Lamborghini (and other brands) dealer and those owners are notorious for modifying their cars. If they were reporting mods on them, they'd have a very pissed off clients base.
My dealer doesn't care, it's the fact that they have to take video for warranty work and send it to to Hethel for approval. If anyone in Hethel doesn't like what they see, warranty will be declined.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaz
I've been intrigued by folks having to revert back to OEM for warranty repairs and can't help but wonder if this is more of a Lotus Dealer thing as opposed to a Lotus thing. I have lots of mods on mine, most of which I' don't plan on reversing and I've had an AC vent diverter module replaced under warranty some months ago and my dealer never even questioned my mods. Granted mine wasn't a drivetrain related repair, but I suspect that even if it were, the folks at my dealer are cool guys who protect their client's interests. Unless a mod specifically caused the damage, I don't think they even bother to log or report them. Do you think my assessment is off by chance? My local dealer also happens to be a very large Lamborghini (and other brands) dealer and those owners are notorious for modifying their cars. If they were reporting mods on them, they'd have a very pissed off clients base.
of all the mods to report back to Lotus, no dealer on the planet would even know the car sounds different...this is in the category of change and never think about it again when selling, repairing, etc.
Your assessment is 100% accurate. My dealer is not only mod friendly but they treat Lotus like a fun cool brand to have with the other brands they sell more of. They have fun with these cars. In the US at least, the dealer tech is the one who reports back to Lotus on the diagnostic portal the situation, etc. and they can choose to note and report suspected mods which may have affected the warranty claim or not. I don't think a responsible US dealer would LIE to Lotus and say like, oh this blown piston is NOT related to an aggressive tune and bad fuel the client chose, they would probably explain the situation truthfully. But my tech is smart enough to know my third party exhaust has nothing to do with the faulty ground terminal that was affecting my power steering for example. Yes Emira ownership seems much healthier and better when you have a good relationship with your dealer tech, and they support you rather than witch hunt your mods down.
 
of all the mods to report back to Lotus, no dealer on the planet would even know the car sounds different...this is in the category of change and never think about it again when selling, repairing, etc.
Your assessment is 100% accurate. My dealer is not only mod friendly but they treat Lotus like a fun cool brand to have with the other brands they sell more of. They have fun with these cars. In the US at least, the dealer tech is the one who reports back to Lotus on the diagnostic portal the situation, etc. and they can choose to note and report suspected mods which may have affected the warranty claim or not. I don't think a responsible US dealer would LIE to Lotus and say like, oh this blown piston is NOT related to an aggressive tune and bad fuel the client chose, they would probably explain the situation truthfully. But my tech is smart enough to know my third party exhaust has nothing to do with the faulty ground terminal that was affecting my power steering for example. Yes Emira ownership seems much healthier and better when you have a good relationship with your dealer tech, and they support you rather than witch hunt your mods down.
Exactly, my dealer tech told us what to do to have a successful claim so when he told me this time I need to revert back, I did what he asked. I had warranty claims on door bubbles, a/c, and fan, those times nothing needs to be done.
 
no judgements here but...has anyone reverted back to stock sound? You can hear the fake sound in all the 420 Sport videos too. (and I was lying yes there is judgement because you have to be out of your mind to prefer the fake noise) :D Point being anyone wanting to create reversible wiring I don't think you have to worry that someone will WANT the fake sound. Clean wiring I think is an awesome idea.
I would question the sanity of anyone wanting to go back to the fake engine noise after having the wire snipped lol...I can't take a lot of i4 Emira videos seriously when all I hear is the fake noise :ROFLMAO:

I did have my shop do a quick disconnect for my wire just in case I ever did have to revert it fully back to stock for some reason, but I doubt it'll ever be needed.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top