US I4 (400hp) has fake engine noise pumped through speakers

Yessir!! Wire snip and blow off valve is all you need to get the full experience. With the snip you can hear the turbo so much better without that phony noise....
 
Last edited:
Smart idea. Do you know if the speaker wires are also in this specific harness as I plan to do an audio upgrade.

Also, out of curiosity and for other vehicles I want to modify, how did you determine this was a compatible harness?

Thanks in advance....you da man!
Not sure, I believe there were 3 plugs that go to the amp. Someone with more audio knowledge of the lotus kef system could probably give you a better idea which ones are the speaker wires
 
Well, I had some apprehension to snipping any wire on a new car……but, after 2K mikes of wondering how would it sound on my I4 - I clipped the wire yesterday and added a connector if I ever wanted to go back. Now after the first 30 miles, I’m wondering why I waited so long???? What a pleasure and better experience. Thank you all for the 11 pages of dialogue and feedback on this important item………well done guys!

Joe - Cary, NC
 
Well, I had some apprehension to snipping any wire on a new car……but, after 2K mikes of wondering how would it sound on my I4 - I clipped the wire yesterday and added a connector if I ever wanted to go back. Now after the first 30 miles, I’m wondering why I waited so long???? What a pleasure and better experience. Thank you all for the 11 pages of dialogue and feedback on this important item………well done guys!

Joe - Cary, NC
How did it sound better after snipping the wire? Did it eliminate the deep humming sound that makes it sound like a sports car?
 
Thanks for all the help on this thread. I am also sick of that drone. I bought the car interstate and did a 1,000km drive back home and was pretty sick of the drone by the end of it.

It also makes the music and phone calls difficult to hear / muffled.

Im looking to do this on mine, I'll probably just snip it and if I ever need to i can re wire using heat shrink or something.

Quick question, is there only one green wire to be snipped (panel behind right side) or do we need to access and snip the green wire for every single speaker?

I have a right hand drive model so im presuming it would be the driver(right) side?
 
...is there only one green wire to be snipped
Yes, just the one..

I have a LHD so I can only be confident in stating that its which ever side of you vehicle the subwoofer/amp is on - the wire is running to the amp if memory serves (its been a while since I snipped)
 
Just completed mine with a harness and switch from AliExpress. In case I ever decide to go back to stock.
1000053610.webp
 
Had the dealer de-pin the fake engine noise at a service today.
Sooooo much better. Way quieter (in a good way).
A side bonus is that I feel like the stereo can now breathe.
I find that it sounds better.
However, I
drove all the way home with the stereo turned off, just to enjoy the new found silence.
Hey lotus, are you listening?
Nobody wants the fake engine noise!
If you have ordered a new Emira I4? Have the dealer de-pin the green wire to eliminate the fake engine noise before you take delivery. You won't regret it.
 
I'm theorizing here, but I'm guessing your dealer is in the minority. I'm willing to bet most dealers would not be willing do this if asked by a customer (even if you paid them).

At the most basic level, they have no incentive to do this and many would argue they would actually put themselves at risk with Lotus Cars should something go wrong later.

However, no need to worry, simply cut the wire and add a quick connect attachment should you want to return to OE status later. Easy enough...
 
Had the dealer de-pin the fake engine noise at a service today.
Sooooo much better. Way quieter (in a good way).
A side bonus is that I feel like the stereo can now breathe.
I find that it sounds better.
However, I
drove all the way home with the stereo turned off, just to enjoy the new found silence.
Hey lotus, are you listening?
Nobody wants the fake engine noise!
If you have ordered a new Emira I4? Have the dealer de-pin the green wire to eliminate the fake engine noise before you take delivery. You won't regret it.
One of our earlier conclusions was that Lotus didn't even really know about this because until my service wrote to Lotus UK, it was the first time they had encountered this subject, didn't know about it, and didn't think it was possible to turn off the sound via the center screen (which is true). It's just a carry over from Mercedes, just like the alternator behavior...just buried Mercedes logic that came as the package.
 
Hey guys, I'm sure this is a terribly dumb question, just bare with me please. Does cutting the green wire has some effect on warranty? I wouldn't like it if they told me "yes we need to fix this audio/electrical issue but we noticed a cut wire aaand...."
 
One of our earlier conclusions was that Lotus didn't even really know about this because until my service wrote to Lotus UK, it was the first time they had encountered this subject, didn't know about it, and didn't think it was possible to turn off the sound via the center screen (which is true). It's just a carry over from Mercedes, just like the alternator behavior...just buried Mercedes logic that came as the package.

Is it just the USA marketed cars that have this ‘enhancement’?
 
Hey guys, I'm sure this is a terribly dumb question, just bare with me please. Does cutting the green wire has some effect on warranty? I wouldn't like it if they told me "yes we need to fix this audio/electrical issue but we noticed a cut wire aaand...."
You may be able to answer your question better than anyone on this forum being Italian dealing with an Italian dealership. They may try to refuse warranty due to this but it would be like them refusing warranty if you had changed the audio setup by adding different speakers or amp. But I think the EU laws are similar to the UK ones in this respect and you could take them to court for them to prove this caused an engine misfire. I assume the Italian laws are similar?
 
You may be able to answer your question better than anyone on this forum being Italian dealing with an Italian dealership. They may try to refuse warranty due to this but it would be like them refusing warranty if you had changed the audio setup by adding different speakers or amp. But I think the EU laws are similar to the UK ones in this respect and you could take them to court for them to prove this caused an engine misfire. I assume the Italian laws are similar?
No I wasn't thinking about the misfire issue, that looks totally unrelated. I was thinking about some other issue that may arise on the audio or electrical side
 
Hey guys, I'm sure this is a terribly dumb question, just bare with me please. Does cutting the green wire has some effect on warranty? I wouldn't like it if they told me "yes we need to fix this audio/electrical issue but we noticed a cut wire aaand...."
Don't cut it.
De-pin it from the plug. If you ever have a problem down the road, just plug it back in.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top