Rating track modifications!

I dont daily any cars but the seats are comfortable enough for daily use. The bolsters are not aggressive so they can still be used well with a 3pt. I'm not willing to do a 6pt yet, that just requires a lot more safety.
so on track are you using the regular seat belt with the racing seat?
 
yes please! I am reconsidering my decision not to go with a seat...do you use a regular seatbelt on track with it, or have harness bar and harness?
I have the 3pt and a harness bar and 6pt. I use it locally, on track, and on long trips. It’s better in every way. Look at my channel. I honestly talk about these seats too often, but there’s also a video about my wife’s impression of the seats. It’s a win/win in my book. (I have tillets in another car that I’ve driven 14 hours straight in without issue.)

 
I have the 3pt and a harness bar and 6pt. I use it locally, on track, and on long trips. It’s better in every way. Look at my channel. I honestly talk about these seats too often, but there’s also a video about my wife’s impression of the seats. It’s a win/win in my book. (I have tillets in another car that I’ve driven 14 hours straight in without issue.)


wow great job with the video! Really helpful. 2 months in, any more feedback about the seats? Hilarious comment about your wife's unspoken reaction lol
 
I have a harness bar, Schroth 4 pt., and oem seats, works fine for track. Get Shroth bendable end hardware: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSA-SR01323 Bend at 90 degree angle, remove rear seat bolts, loosen front bolts, slip the clip under the rear and tighten all four bolts. Anchoring under the seat rather than to the oem belt location on the seat allows you to use the power seat to tighten both lap and shoulder belts while keeping the lap belt low on your pelvis and away from your organs. (hold the lap belt down when tightening).
 
I have a harness bar, Schroth 4 pt., and oem seats, works fine for track. Get Shroth bendable end hardware: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSA-SR01323 Bend at 90 degree angle, remove rear seat bolts, loosen front bolts, slip the clip under the rear and tighten all four bolts. Anchoring under the seat rather than to the oem belt location on the seat allows you to use the power seat to tighten both lap and shoulder belts while keeping the lap belt low on your pelvis and away from your organs. (hold the lap belt down when tightening).
this is interesting - staying with the OEM seat which has its advantages (keep the airbag, seat heating, avoid cost of a race seat). Why did you decide to do that rather than go with the race seat? Can you include a picture of your set up? Thanks!!
 
wow great job with the video! Really helpful. 2 months in, any more feedback about the seats? Hilarious comment about your wife's unspoken reaction lol
Sorry I never responded here. I went back and rewatched that. A lot of the awkwardness from the seating position is completely, and 100% gone. It feels natural, and hard to believe what it was like before.

Obviously the side bolstering speaks for itself, but even the getting in and out is now normal. They truly are better in every way.
 
Can't see a lot in the pics, the bendable end is under the track. The harness bar is Inokinetic. Their method of anchoring the lap belts is to the factory lap belt mount on the side of the seat. Problem with this is that when the seat moves the harness lap belt moves with it, while the shoulder belts will tighten as they are attached to the bar/car. With a 4 pt. it is very important to keep the lap belt low, and that's either a sub or having them attached to basically the car. (It is also important to have the shoulder belts super tight by the way). It may take me 20-30 minutes sitting in the car with helmet and hans on to get both belts adjusted just right. I run the seat back all the way, hook the harness up, then power the seat forward holding both the shoulder belts on the hans to make sure it is inside the raised ridges and also hold the lap belt down to get it as low on the pelvis as possible. I adjust in the pits to snug, then just before entering the track run the seat forward until it is borderline painful. By attaching the lap belts my way, it does not require pulling the seat, as you only loosen the front bolt. That way the factory belts do not have to be touched. I tracked a few high HP Nissan GTR's for about 200 track days with factory seats and 4 pt. ASM. I'm barely comfortable in a stock seat on trips, and as I have driven all my cars to the track, sometimes a long way, I didn't want a bare bones race seat. Maybe one just needs more natural padding to be comfortable in a race seat. My current philosophy after having a growing number of problems that came with a growing number of horse power and modifications, is just leave it stock except for safety and brakes. There will always be someone faster out there, so get your kicks from putting it around the track approaching your limit. Here's a 1:25 clip of my bone stock I4 at Spokane.
The loud blue Porsche behind me is a Manthey by the way. (He is a very good driver but just got the car and was feeling it out. The other cars behind him were going as good as they could tho. Let me know if you have any other questions.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9434.webp
    IMG_9434.webp
    483.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9438.webp
    IMG_9438.webp
    219.8 KB · Views: 43
Can't see a lot in the pics, the bendable end is under the track. The harness bar is Inokinetic. Their method of anchoring the lap belts is to the factory lap belt mount on the side of the seat. Problem with this is that when the seat moves the harness lap belt moves with it, while the shoulder belts will tighten as they are attached to the bar/car. With a 4 pt. it is very important to keep the lap belt low, and that's either a sub or having them attached to basically the car. (It is also important to have the shoulder belts super tight by the way). It may take me 20-30 minutes sitting in the car with helmet and hans on to get both belts adjusted just right. I run the seat back all the way, hook the harness up, then power the seat forward holding both the shoulder belts on the hans to make sure it is inside the raised ridges and also hold the lap belt down to get it as low on the pelvis as possible. I adjust in the pits to snug, then just before entering the track run the seat forward until it is borderline painful. By attaching the lap belts my way, it does not require pulling the seat, as you only loosen the front bolt. That way the factory belts do not have to be touched. I tracked a few high HP Nissan GTR's for about 200 track days with factory seats and 4 pt. ASM. I'm barely comfortable in a stock seat on trips, and as I have driven all my cars to the track, sometimes a long way, I didn't want a bare bones race seat. Maybe one just needs more natural padding to be comfortable in a race seat. My current philosophy after having a growing number of problems that came with a growing number of horse power and modifications, is just leave it stock except for safety and brakes. There will always be someone faster out there, so get your kicks from putting it around the track approaching your limit. Here's a 1:25 clip of my bone stock I4 at Spokane.
The loud blue Porsche behind me is a Manthey by the way. (He is a very good driver but just got the car and was feeling it out. The other cars behind him were going as good as they could tho. Let me know if you have any other questions.
 
Thanks for the detailed explanation - really appreciate it!
 
One clarification--the 20-30 minutes getting the harnesses just right is only one time--After they are adjusted correctly you just tighten by running the power seat forward. I haven't been able to get harnesses nearly tight enough to suit me without using as power seat to tighten them.
 
One clarification--the 20-30 minutes getting the harnesses just right is only one time--After they are adjusted correctly you just tighten by running the power seat forward. I haven't been able to get harnesses nearly tight enough to suit me without using as power seat to tighten them.
Thanks for clarifying - I was hoping that’s what you meant
 
What tire size/aspect are you all running with the 18inch track addict wheels from GRP?
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top