Fortunately it looks like the Emira gearing is substantially shorter than the gearing in the Porsche GT3 and GT4.

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Video shows the maximum speed in the Emira in second gear is around 70mph, where the maximum speed in the GT4 in second gear is around 80mph.
A welcomed and rather significant difference.
Means we'll be shifting a lot more in the Emira, a very good thing for manual drivers.👍👍

Emira/Evora actually has longer gearing but lower max rpm. So just all around worse than the Porsche lol

Last edited:
one thing to consider as well, the V6 only revs to 7000rpm.

In a GT4 it's 8000rpm and 9000rpm in a GT3.

The gearing is not shorter, you only have to shift earlier :p

But, one thing, the supercherged engine provides much more usable power. I own a GT4 and you constantly feel like you need to rev it to 6-7000rpm to get the good stuff out of it

But, one thing, the supercherged engine provides much more usable power. I own a GT4 and you constantly feel like you need to rev it to 6-7000rpm to get the good stuff out of it
This is what the Lotus rep on the show day at B&C told me. He test drives the Emira and GT4, M2 back to back etc...and told me with the GT4 you constantly need to keep it on the boil to get the best from that engine. Still I wouldn't say no to 8000rpm

This is often the issue with high-reving engines. Great fun in the twistys or the track, but really hard to have a good time just driving around town.

This is what the Lotus rep on the show day at B&C told me. He test drives the Emira and GT4, M2 back to back etc...and told me with the GT4 you constantly need to keep it on the boil to get the best from that engine. Still I wouldn't say no to 8000rpm
great on track when you are constantly in that higher RPM range, but on the street (here in canada anyway), kinda hard to enjoy safely.

This is often the issue with high-reving engines. Great fun in the twistys or the track, but really hard to have a good time just driving around town.
Exactly this, my M3v V8 revs to 8500 rpm and the power really only comes in at 5k revs and above. Great when you are on it but around town I've got a distinct lack of power - my wifes mini cooper s (which is automatic and turbo) is quicker.

Exactly this, my M3v V8 revs to 8500 rpm and the power really only comes in at 5k revs and above. Great when you are on it but around town I've got a distinct lack of power - my wifes mini cooper s (which is automatic and turbo) is quicke
Exactly this, my M3v V8 revs to 8500 rpm and the power really only comes in at 5k revs and above. Great when you are on it but around town I've got a distinct lack of power - my wifes mini cooper s (which is automatic and turbo) is quicker.
I don’t know if you have but the exhaust mod is essential- I had 2.5 on my old m3 coupe and it sounded incredible. Then you have no excuse not to use the whole rev range 😎

I don’t know if you have but the exhaust mod is essential- I had 2.5 on my old m3 coupe and it sounded incredible. Then you have no excuse not to use the whole rev range 😎
I did have the 2 pipe mod done but it droned on the motorway between 75-85 so had it removed. Plus it frightened the kids on the street when I downshifted the blipping sounded like a tank round being fired 😜