• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Another 718 GT4 vs. Emira Test Drive

rich64

Reaction score
Bespoke Camry engine.
Just putting this out there.... 😊

That bespoke Camry engine just won pikes peak exhibition classification.
Beating cars with over 1300HP. Plenty of Porsches in that category too.

It is also Toyota’s second most reliable motor of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Hodgson

Reaction score
Having owned both- GT4 is streets ahead of the Emira in almost every way. As for not feeling as special? -sitting in buckets, looking over the rear wing I again have to disagree!
Each to their own!
Emira vs GT4
hydraulic vs electric steering
aluminum spacetube vs steel monocoque frame
double wishbone vs strut suspension
bespoke vs parts bin
supercar vs ordinary looks

GT4 only uses some 911 engine for both 981 and 718 generations. as evident from all car reviews, the emira is so special and everyone raves about the hydraulic steering
😂🙈👍

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just putting this out there.... 😊

That bespoke Camry engine just won pikes peak exhibition classification.
Beating cars with over 1300HP. Plenty of Porsches in that category too.

It is also Toyota’s second most reliable motor of all time.

And as everyone knows the Radford is based on the Exige chassis. Jubu I believe has the Camry engined tuned to 600HP. That's why I don't get the whole "modern" engine debate. A lot has do due with the tuning so you can't just say Camry engine, that over simplifies it. And to stay on topic, never driven any Porsche, but I will take the Emira any day. I just can't take the Volkswagen look out of the GT4 however awesome it may be.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
And as everyone knows the Radford is based on the Exige chassis. Jubu I believe has the Camry engined tuned to 600HP. That's why I don't get the whole "modern" engine debate. A lot has do due with the tuning so you can't just say Camry engine, that over simplifies it. And to stay on topic, never driven any Porsche, but I will take the Emira any day. I just can't take the Volkswagen look out of the GT4 however awesome it may be.

Ah yes, the 600hp 2GR-FE from Jubu with head milling, forged pistons, conrods, cams, inconel valves, valve springs, main bearing, thrust bearing, upgraded cooling & supercharger and a custom ECU etc.

Just as Toyota makes it for the Camry, but with a tune right?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Ah yes, the 600hp 2GR-FE from Jubu with head milling, forged pistons, conrods, cams, inconel valves, valve springs, main bearing, thrust bearing, upgraded cooling & supercharger and a custom ECU etc.

Just as Toyota makes it for the Camry, but with a tune right?
You missed my point.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Regarding the original poster's GT4 review. Here is my counterpoint. Summary. GT4 is a mechanically superior and faster car but the it's a little boring, clinical and has worse steering, and feels slower below 5500 even if it is faster. Emira is far more beautiful, modern feeling, much more emotional and tactile. I like the double wishbone front end, interior and exterior, low end supercharged power, better on the Emira. I like the clutch, top end power, sound, build quality better on the GT4.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have been through this before. I had a Maserati Ghibli followed by an AMG GT53. The GT53 is superior to the Ghibli in every way. But I still look at the video of the day I said goodbye to the Ghibli, watch it's lights glow and listen to the exhaust burble in the evening fog. I want that kind of experience with a car.
1000003005.jpg

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
well, if he was on the Forum he would be in the I'm out lol - Spyder owner compares the Emira. Gives a good overview and opinion of the differences are spot on. Looks like he prefers the tour setup > spyder

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
well, if he was on the Forum he would be in the I'm out lol - Spyder owner compares the Emira. Gives a good overview and opinion of the differences are spot on. Looks like he prefers the tour setup > spyder

Not exactly firmly in the out camp. Plus he is comparing against a GT4 essentially. He is probably right about the package, Porsche has always put it altogether. But not everyone wants or cares about the full package. I would buy a 911 for the package and the daily aspect, not a Lotus. So if I can, I'll buy both

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not exactly firmly in the out camp. Plus he is comparing against a GT4 essentially. He is probably right about the package, Porsche has always put it altogether. But not everyone wants or cares about the full package. I would buy a 911 for the package and the daily aspect, not a Lotus. So if I can, I'll buy both
agreed, he really enjoyed the Lotus and again it's a toss which car to buy... statistically the Porsche will win.... but from the emotional side, I think Emira wins.