• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Another 718 GT4 vs. Emira Test Drive

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I agreed with a lot of your review. I've been shopping GT4s for years... 981s and 718s. I've driven many (one as recent as last weekend) and what it comes down to for me is that the GT4 just doesn't excite me or give me that sense of occasion when I see it and walk toward it to get inside and drive. The GT4 is the better car and the smarter decision. They're reliable, hold value, and have a very strong dealer network and aftermarket. The Emira doesn't have any of that.

It would have been a tough decision if the Emira was out when I was shopping 981s pre-pandemic when they could be found everywhere for $80-90k. Now 981s and 718s are $100-150k. It's no competition for me at this point. I want the Emira.. especially for a brand new one that's potentially $30k less that the average pre-owned 718 GT4. I'm also not going to pay $90-100k for a 7-8 year old 981 GT4. The pre-owned market is just ridiculous these days.

Again, I realize Porsche is (almost always) the smarter purchase. But since when is an exotic sportscar a rational decision? Like you, I'm younger (30s) and have been saving years and years for this purchase. I was so excited for the Emira and I'll admit I'm a little burned out. It seems like it's been nothing but little let downs since the reveal. The delays have been major letdowns. And their poor comms have nearly made me hate the brand and I'm constantly looking for other options. That being said, if I wanted to spend 718 GT4 money, I'd spend an extra $20k and get a '17+ McLaren 570S. But the rational side tells me to just get a Cayman GTS. But that's boring, they're everywhere, and I still want the Emira... even though, at this point, she's like the hot girl in high school who keeps telling me she'll leave her current boyfriend soon, so I just keep waiting and hoping it'll payoff in the end. So far it's been nothing but abuse and I desperately wish something else would come around and excite me.
It may be just Canada, but you can pick up a pre-owned CPO 718 spyder for 105k usd with very low miles. I’m sure there may be a few GT4’s around that price point or a little bit more. I think the Emira is the more exciting car as well, but it’s not the better car. Unfortunately the brand is loosing its appeal and the foreign ownership is not helping the cause. Doug Demro was spot on who buys this car, but even he knows that although a brilliant machine its brand will ultimately fail at delivering what it could have been.

If this is your only car buy the Porsche. If it’s a third car or you have the means to deal with subpar CS and BS ownership experience then give the Emira a run. The ownership experience will be far from good when comparing it to a large, established manufacturer, just as the buying process has been terrible. Anyone that is looking at this from a daily or even a second fun car needs to understand that you may be sidelined for long periods of time waiting for your parts to arrive “soon”. I wish Geely had focused more efforts in fixing this, but alas even every auto reviewer (apart from the UK) knows the truth, Lotus at the moment is not in Porsches ballpark when it comes to service, reputation, parts supply etc. this is a buyer beware type of operation and be prepared for longer than usual waiting. For everything.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
At risk of coming off as stupid, the problem is that the car is too good. I found myself doing less work, being less engaged, and almost at ease. The GT4 is crazy capable, way more so than I am, to a point where it was almost boring after a bit… boring is an unfairly harsh word to use. Obviously, it wasn’t boring… just less of a “wow.” Again, I am not desensitized to these cars and I am relatively inexperienced with them. I did not feel at ease in the R8, and I did not feel relaxed in a C8 (even though I didn’t enjoy it). I did not experience the same thrill and desire to push harder, nor the butterflies or special feeling that the Emira gave me, which is hard to describe with words. I was having a ton of fun, but I didn’t come away with the same smile I had gotten from other cars, even way less powerful ones.

The reason I feel the car is "too good" is largely because an average driver could push the car pretty hard.

It is hard to explain, but I almost felt like the manual was a bit unnecessary (something I never thought I could ever utter) in the GT4, not just because of the long gears, but because the car does so much for you in terms of filtering and correcting issues and directly putting you where you need to be, you dont need to focus nearly as much on it. Why not let it shift for you too?

Great read! Appreciate your feedback. The comments about doing less work and being more disconnected from the driving experience resonated.

For sure, a car that's filtering and correcting steering and throttle inputs will inspire more confidence right off the bat and offer more accessible performance. But at some point it can start to feel more like the car is driving you when things become a little too idiot proof and unshakable. That's how I felt at the track in a Mazdaspeed6. Steering and throttle inputs didn't matter all that much. Just point and shoot. Still much fun but left a little something to be desired.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It may be just Canada, but you can pick up a pre-owned CPO 718 spyder for 105k usd with very low miles. I’m sure there may be a few GT4’s around that price point or a little bit more. I think the Emira is the more exciting car as well, but it’s not the better car. Unfortunately the brand is loosing its appeal and the foreign ownership is not helping the cause. Doug Demro was spot on who buys this car, but even he knows that although a brilliant machine its brand will ultimately fail at delivering what it could have been.

If this is your only car buy the Porsche. If it’s a third car or you have the means to deal with subpar CS and BS ownership experience then give the Emira a run. The ownership experience will be far from good when comparing it to a large, established manufacturer, just as the buying process has been terrible. Anyone that is looking at this from a daily or even a second fun car needs to understand that you may be sidelined for long periods of time waiting for your parts to arrive “soon”. I wish Geely had focused more efforts in fixing this, but alas even every auto reviewer (apart from the UK) knows the truth, Lotus at the moment is not in Porsches ballpark when it comes to service, reputation, parts supply etc. this is a buyer beware type of operation and be prepared for longer than usual waiting. For everything.
Yeah that is not the case where I live, but that sounds great!! That could very well be the move for people in your area if theyre at the same price point!!

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This thread is bang on ! What a great read. I am still in and so hope that the wait is finally worth it. Still not seen one in the wild, but see loads of Caymans and 911s (including GT variants). No one bats an eye when I drive my Touring - I get more attention in the GR Yaris from a few in the know ! So I hope relative rarity will last a while.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I still want the Emira... even though, at this point, she's like the hot girl in high school who keeps telling me she'll leave her current boyfriend soon, so I just keep waiting and hoping it'll payoff in the end. So far it's been nothing but abuse and I desperately wish something else would come around and excite me.
This resonates with me so much. I've honestly started looking at 2008-2011 Elise SC and Exige S 240 cars with the supercharged 1.8L 2ZZ, because they are as rapid as the Emira but over a thousand pounds lighter. And I don't have to put up with any BS from the mismanagement of the Lotus corp, except in getting access to spare parts.

It's a 3rd car for me so the ingress/egress gymnastics are not the dealbreaker that they would be in a daily. The fact that these cars (Elise in particular) are literally half the cost doesn't hurt either.

🫤

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have also tested a 718 GTS 4.0, an R8 v10+ manual (2012), and would like to test a supercharged 90’s NSX. Basically anything that is mid-engined, rwd, manual, and not electric is my criteria. I did not come from money, and this is probably my only big purchase like this for the rest of my life, so take that into consideration with how you may value the dollar vs how I do, be it more or less.

Good choices you got there, especially the NSX. That's a car I could have bought in the late '90's and always regretted not doing it - because at that time, the BMW M3 seemed more sensible (and quite a bit cheaper). Grew up super poor, which made me appreciate every single dollar, just like you. But don't sell yourself short. You're only 26... you'll be surprised how things will change in life as you get older. You'll have more money and be able to afford more things, but have less time to use or enjoy them.

Get the Emira, get something that drives your passion and enjoy it. There's no perfect car. All cars will get you where you want to go, but get the one that gets you there with a smile. Life's too short ;)

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I keep seeing "If you want to have only one car, get the Porsche, but I would NEVER fathom having one small sportscar as my everyday car, especially for when I was driving to work every day. Since 1980, I've had two cars at any given time. One was always a sportscar and the other was a car that would blend in with traffic and in a parking lot. Everyone I know who has a Porsche, has another vehicle. So "if you're going to have one car, get a Porsche" just doesn't resonate with me or, apparently any of them. The Emira not only looks to be double the cost of a GT4, to the vast majority of those who view it, it IS a better car.

My "special" car must compliment a great driving experience with exclusivity. Sorry, Porsche, you're not nearly as common as the gazillion Teslas I see, but you're no Lotus in the beauty department.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I keep seeing "If you want to have only one car, get the Porsche, but I would NEVER fathom having one small sportscar as my everyday car, especially for when I was driving to work every day. Since 1980, I've had two cars at any given time. One was always a sportscar and the other was a car that would blend in with traffic and in a parking lot. Everyone I know who has a Porsche, has another vehicle. So "if you're going to have one car, get a Porsche" just doesn't resonate with me or, apparently any of them. The Emira not only looks to be double the cost of a GT4, to the vast majority of those who view it, it IS a better car.

My "special" car must compliment a great driving experience with exclusivity. Sorry, Porsche, you're not nearly as common as the gazillion Teslas I see, but you're no Lotus in the beauty department.
I think differently. Why do you want to blend with traffic if a 911 accomplishes pretty much anything most of us need. Unless you really need to carry stuff, or many children, I've never felt the need for 4 doors and a large trunk. I've discovered that through my F80 ownership. I much prefer my e46 m3 and my daily, an E82 135. As a matter of fact, it's way easier to get into a 2 door car.

My frustration with Porsche is they type of buyer. I dislike the profile.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think differently. Why do you want to blend with traffic if a 911 accomplishes pretty much anything most of us need. Unless you really need to carry stuff, or many children, I've never felt the need for 4 doors and a large trunk. I've discovered that through my F80 ownership. I much prefer my e46 m3 and my daily, an E82 135. As a matter of fact, it's way easier to get into a 2 door car.

I just picked up an above the range microwave oven, yesterday. I'd like to see anyone without at least a sedan fit that in their sporty, 2-door vehicle. The other reason I always had a second car was for driving in the rain. It is much more likely that someone is going to hit you while on wet (or worse in cold climates) surfaces. So many people allow their tire treads to get close to or beyond the wear bars. If they're going to hit my car, I'd prefer that said car DIDN'T cost $100,000+.

Wait, there's one more thing....
I have a friend who thought he'd drive his manual transmission 911, 80 miles to work, twice a week. After a few months, he is now looking to buy another car with an auto transmission. Shifting in and out of gear, 500 times while stuck in traffic is no fun, even in a Porshe.

Last edited:
OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Different from both of you, I can't imagine not having a pickup truck!! Hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood/ drywall, 2x4s, loads of mulch and gravel, tall furniture, etc. happens every couple weeks in my life! Best of both worlds with a truck and a sports car, except everyone asks you to help them move things XD

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Different from both of you, I can't imagine not having a pickup truck!! Hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood/ drywall, 2x4s, loads of mulch and gravel, tall furniture, etc. happens every couple weeks in my life! Best of both worlds with a truck and a sports car, except everyone asks you to help them move things XD
And I'll bet your truck does not have a manual transmission. ;)
My wife does have an SUV, so no problem hauling stuff.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
And I'll bet your truck does not have a manual transmission. ;)
My Ford Rangers both did, and I had an beater toyota tundra that did, but when I bought my tacoma (current truck) it was actually my first automatic truck! Tbh it is the one thing I would change about the truck, but more so that I had an extra gear... having a 4-speed makes it either chug or scream up mountains, no in-between

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My Ford Rangers both did, and I had an beater toyota tundra that did, but when I bought my tacoma (current truck) it was actually my first automatic truck! Tbh it is the one thing I would change about the truck, but more so that I had an extra gear... having a 4-speed makes it either chug or scream up mountains, no in-between
I'll have to admit that I like to sip on a coffee or other drink in my auto car. I just can't do that in the city with a manual car, at least not safely.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I just picked up an above the range microwave oven, yesterday. I'd like to see anyone without at least a sedan fit that in their sporty, 2-door vehicle. The other reason I always had a second car was for driving in the rain. It is much more likely that someone is going to hit you while on wet (or worse in cold climates) surfaces. So many people allow their tire treads to get close to or beyond the wear bars. If they're going to hit my car, I'd prefer that may car DIDN'T cost $100,000+.

Wait, there's one more thing....
I have a friend who thought he'd drive his manual transmission 911, 80 miles to work, twice a week. After a few months, he is now looking to buy another car with an auto transmission. Shifting in and out of gear, 500 times while stuck in traffic is no fun, even in a Porshe.
But your partner can have the "family " car! And for daily driving I think PDK will be fine!.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Verdict: The GT4 is a superior car, no questions asked. It edges out the Emira in almost every way. I would probably say it was the best car I have ever driven (not been in, but driven). I wish I didn’t like it so much, as it is making it a hard choice. At risk of coming off as stupid, the problem is that the car is too good. I found myself doing less work, being less engaged, and almost at ease. The GT4 is crazy capable, way more so than I am, to a point where it was almost boring after a bit… boring is an unfairly harsh word to use. Obviously, it wasn’t boring… just less of a “wow.” Again, I am not desensitized to these cars and I am relatively inexperienced with them. I did not feel at ease in the R8, and I did not feel relaxed in a C8 (even though I didn’t enjoy it). I did not experience the same thrill and desire to push harder, nor the butterflies or special feeling that the Emira gave me, which is hard to describe with words. I was having a ton of fun, but I didn’t come away with the same smile I had gotten from other cars, even way less powerful ones.

If these cars were the same price, I would buy a GT4. If they gave me the same sense of occasion, I would pay 140k for a GT4. As it stands now, even with the Lotus price hikes up to 105k, I don’t think it makes sense to pay an extra third of the price for less engagement. After all, I have worked hard to earn money to spend in this niche market for a car to drive, not a car that makes it easy. That said, Lotus is on thin ice for me… with the option of having a car now instead of in a year, if they bump this price up much further, they are losing me to a phenomenal car. Even saying this, I still have not made up my mind 100%.
Great write up. All sounds about right to me. I am sure I will feel the same when I get them both together for a video.

I think you are right to compare an Emira to a GT4. In the UK, an older GT4 is a money rival for the Emira so it is a competitor in cash terms.
e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303034859658

The 718/Cayman is a great car.

I have never wanted, or even desired, one for purely personal reasons:

1. Old looks and IMHO looks almost ugly. It has to be a great spec to even turn my head
  2. I am older. I will forever see it as NOT a 911 and scratch my head at somebody even contemplating a Cayman over any 911
  3. More common (for now)

TRX250EX

Reaction score
Luckily I don't have to choose one 😜

20230327_133244.jpg

20230327_172320.jpg

20230327_130736.jpg

Citizen

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I want to see both 😅

When autodrome sir ?

TRX250EX

Reaction score
I want to see both 😅

When autodrome sir ?
Emira break in is almost done, GT4RS will be another nightmare, let me see if I will follow the break in recommendation by Porsche properly this time cause I have doubts about that 😄

Last edited:

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
But your partner can have the "family " car! And for daily driving I think PDK will be fine!.
But then you wouldn't have the most fun car, you know, the one with manual shifting and clutching. Perhaps both a PDK and a manual shifting car would be the best combination.

Xspyder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I agreed with a lot of your review. I've been shopping GT4s for years... 981s and 718s. I've driven many (one as recent as last weekend) and what it comes down to for me is that the GT4 just doesn't excite me or give me that sense of occasion when I see it and walk toward it to get inside and drive. The GT4 is the better car and the smarter decision. They're reliable, hold value, and have a very strong dealer network and aftermarket. The Emira doesn't have any of that.

It would have been a tough decision if the Emira was out when I was shopping 981s pre-pandemic when they could be found everywhere for $80-90k. Now 981s and 718s are $100-150k. It's no competition for me at this point. I want the Emira.. especially for a brand new one that's potentially $30k less that the average pre-owned 718 GT4. I'm also not going to pay $90-100k for a 7-8 year old 981 GT4. The pre-owned market is just ridiculous these days.

Again, I realize Porsche is (almost always) the smarter purchase. But since when is an exotic sportscar a rational decision? Like you, I'm younger (30s) and have been saving years and years for this purchase. I was so excited for the Emira and I'll admit I'm a little burned out. It seems like it's been nothing but little let downs since the reveal. The delays have been major letdowns. And their poor comms have nearly made me hate the brand and I'm constantly looking for other options. That being said, if I wanted to spend 718 GT4 money, I'd spend an extra $20k and get a '17+ McLaren 570S. But the rational side tells me to just get a Cayman GTS. But that's boring, they're everywhere, and I still want the Emira... even though, at this point, she's like the hot girl in high school who keeps telling me she'll leave her current boyfriend soon, so I just keep waiting and hoping it'll payoff in the end. So far it's been nothing but abuse and I desperately wish something else would come around and excite me.
Had a 718 spyder & loved it, yes it was a safe bet for residuals but now have my Emira since Nov 21 & am loving it a little more each day as its more involving than the spyder.
To me the 718 is looking dated now but you should go with your heart, you must drive the Emira before making up your mind.
Good Luck