• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Another 718 GT4 vs. Emira Test Drive

Ftype

Reaction score
IMO The GT4 is not a fare comparison to an Emira. Price point and this Porsche is a GT car. You need to get a Porsche Cayman S which ends up being around the same price. When you do this it’s Emira all day long. GT4 is 120k plus in todays market unless you go to a first generation. Driven them all and IMO the only Porsches to own have GT in their names. C8 Z51 Corvette if you can get at MSRP is a fare comparison and depending what you like it’s hard to beat the C8. Just got the email from the GM of the largest Corvette dealer my Z06 allocation is coming soon, can’t wait. My Emira LE is not till 2024 1st Q
The 718 GTS 4.0 fully loaded is still £4,000 less than the Emira and not only drives better but is way more reliable

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The 718 GTS 4.0 fully loaded is still £4,000 less than the Emira and not only drives better but is way more reliable
Regarding the handling, you’re basing you opinion on ? My brother owned the 2.5GTS for 3/4 years, I owned the 992 Carrera, 22’ R8 and more, IMO the emira is far more enjoyable and rewarding to drive (my brother agrees) than all of them. But you know that part is subjective right ? As some reviewers (professionals and not) say it’s better (the Emira) and some state otherwise.
But one thing that truly bothers me is the design, it just looks dated (exterior and interior).

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Don't agree with this at all.

1. We have no "reliability data" for the Emira yet. Initial problems (and most are small annoyances) with very early production cars don't mean that reliability will be poor. I remember back in 2014 when Porsche had to replace the engine in every single GT3 . . . but no one said that meant Porsches were unreliable cars.

2. I now have about 1,000 km behind the wheel of an Emira. IMO, it is unquestionably more fun to drive than the 718 or the 992. It's an event. My 911 GTS was simply boring compared with Emira.

Ftype

Reaction score
Regarding the handling, you’re basing you opinion on ? My brother owned the 2.5GTS for 3/4 years, I owned the 992 Carrera, 22’ R8 and more, IMO the emira is far more enjoyable and rewarding to drive (my brother agrees) than all of them. But you know that part is subjective right ? As some reviewers (professionals and not) say it’s better (the Emira) and some state otherwise.
But one thing that truly bothers me is the design, it just looks dated (exterior and interior).
I paid for a “taste of Lotus” and drove the Emira around the track at Hethel prior to cancelling my order. I drove the 718 GTS 4.0 around Silverstone as part of the FREE Porsche driving experience that all customers are offered. The acceleration in the 718 was noticeably faster, handling marginally better and overall quality and finish superior. I agree the Emira is the better looking car but the turning point for me was concern over the growing number of faults being reported on early and current deliveries. I also prefer the interior in the 718 as not keen on the wide carpet on the door sills of the Emira or the open gear linkage. As you say it is all down to personal preferences.

Shahaf2911

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I paid for a “taste of Lotus” and drove the Emira around the track at Hethel prior to cancelling my order. I drove the 718 GTS 4.0 around Silverstone as part of the FREE Porsche driving experience that all customers are offered. The acceleration in the 718 was noticeably faster, handling marginally better and overall quality and finish superior. I agree the Emira is the better looking car but the turning point for me was concern over the growing number of faults being reported on early and current deliveries. I also prefer the interior in the 718 as not keen on the wide carpet on the door sills of the Emira or the open gear linkage. As you say it is all down to personal preferences.
You do know wide sills (Tub design) and an open gear linkage are kind of a lotus thing right ? And sorry but stating the track session is free is misleading, as you said “customers are offered”, they give it to their closest/favorite/good customers. But the thing I still don’t get is if you bought the better car as you say so why are you still here stating it is better and what’s wrong with the Emira/Lotus in your opinion ?

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The 718 is dated, its 20 odd years old but its an engineering masterpiece with an modern updated engine and box. The emira is an evora in a designer dress with a wider footprint and great steering that's it. But you can't argue it still looks great even on the back of the tow truck!!!

Ftype

Reaction score
You do know wide sills (Tub design) and an open gear linkage are kind of a lotus thing right ? And sorry but stating the track session is free is misleading, as you said “customers are offered”, they give it to their closest/favorite/good customers. But the thing I still don’t get is if you bought the better car as you say so why are you still here stating it is better and what’s wrong with the Emira/Lotus in your opinion ?
I still visit the forum because I had a deposit down for 18 months and still have an ongoing interest in how Lotus is evolving. I have already stated what I don’t like - poor reliability and quality of finish. These weren’t apparent when I put down my deposit as the car wasn’t built. I had hoped the investment from Geely and the association with Volvo would make a difference but if you follow the constant reports on this forum it clearly hasn’t.

Xspyder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The 718 is dated, its 20 odd years old but its an engineering masterpiece with an modern updated engine and box. The emira is an evora in a designer dress with a wider footprint and great steering that's it. But you can't argue it still looks great even on the back of the tow truck!!!
😂😉

Ft.S

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I still visit the forum because I had a deposit down for 18 months and still have an ongoing interest in how Lotus is evolving. I have already stated what I don’t like - poor reliability and quality of finish. These weren’t apparent when I put down my deposit as the car wasn’t built. I had hoped the investment from Geely and the association with Volvo would make a difference but if you follow the constant reports on this forum it clearly hasn’t.
One thing I'd like to note, although it won't change your conclusion, is that money does not solve the problems alone. It is well known in the manufacturing industry that if there is a new factory, and new workers who need to be trained and have the time for them to gain experience, the first-year models (actually first 4 years' models) will be sh*ty.

This is particularly true in the case of Lotus I am afraid, because of limited automation. I will most likely complete my purchase when the time comes, but I do go into this with my eyes open. The reason is mainly because how I believe the Emira will be unique in terms of driving experience. Also, credit is due to Lotus, in spite of all of the challenges of manufacturing a mostly-new car, the problems are fewer than I was expecting.

I do recognize that for most people even with fewer than expected issues, the situation is unacceptable. I cannot argue much about it, even though there have been fewer issues than expected, some delivered cars are really in an unacceptable state. It is possible that if the situation does not improve, I might chicken out as well; after all $100K+ is not a small amount of change.

fast_driver

Reaction score
Test drove a 718 Cayman GT4 today. The GT4 steering is not communicative. The braking capacity is lower. Engine maybe more power. Harsher ride than Emira. Second gear seriously too tall. I love my Emira. The steering is so amazing. Could feel every pebble on the road! The car is not only about performance. The supercar and futuristic look make the car so much more special next to the GT4. Emira’s race design makes the car handle like it’s on rails! There is no comparison there hands down the Emira is better.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I love my Emira.

Welcome to the forum @fast_driver!

I agree mostly with your comments. I was saving for a GT4 for years before the Emira was unveiled. I've driven quite a few 981 and 718 GTS/GT4 Caymans. Excellent cars, but just don't feel special to me.

I noticed you said that you love your Emira. Your location says USA and there haven't been any customer deliveries here just yet... I assume you're referencing your test drive experience?

Hawki

Reaction score
I had a deposit on the Emira V6. Test drive took place in North Carolina and cancelled my order the next day. Was underwhelmed by the quality and performance. Looks we’re not enough for me to spend 100k on this car. Based on this forum and owners review's it appears their are more than a handful of cancellations.
Recently purchased a 21 718 Spyder and couldn’t be happier. Live in the USA and honestly I have only seen 1 other Spyder on the road if exclusivity is important to you.
Wish you the best with your purchase and many happy miles of motoring.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had a deposit on the Emira V6. Test drive took place in North Carolina and cancelled my order the next day. Was underwhelmed by the quality and performance. Looks we’re not enough for me to spend 100k on this car. Based on this forum and owners review's it appears their are more than a handful of cancellations.
Recently purchased a 21 718 Spyder and couldn’t be happier. Live in the USA and honestly I have only seen 1 other Spyder on the road if exclusivity is important to you.
Wish you the best with your purchase and many happy miles of motoring.

The thing is that I had to read an article to understand the difference between a Boxster and a Spyder. Add in the visually similar Cayman. Plus the visually similar 981 generation. They are everywhere.

fast_driver

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @fast_driver!

I agree mostly with your comments. I was saving for a GT4 for years before the Emira was unveiled. I've driven quite a few 981 and 718 GTS/GT4 Caymans. Excellent cars, but just don't feel special to me.

I noticed you said that you love your Emira. Your location says USA and there haven't been any customer deliveries here just yet... I assume you're referencing your test drive experience?
Based in NYC and live in Asia

fast_driver

Reaction score
The thing is that I had to read an article to understand the difference between a Boxster and a Spyder. Add in the visually similar Cayman. Plus the visually similar 981 generation. They are everywhere.
exactly - porsches are a dime and a dozen. they are for doctors and lawyers. emira is for real drivers. never owned a porsche n dun see myself ever buying one unless gt3rs

Tim Hodgson

Reaction score
Having owned both- GT4 is streets ahead of the Emira in almost every way. As for not feeling as special? -sitting in buckets, looking over the rear wing I again have to disagree!
Each to their own!

fast_driver

Reaction score
Having owned both- GT4 is streets ahead of the Emira in almost every way. As for not feeling as special? -sitting in buckets, looking over the rear wing I again have to disagree!
Each to their own!

Emira vs GT4
hydraulic vs electric steering
aluminum spacetube vs steel monocoque frame
double wishbone vs strut suspension
bespoke vs parts bin
supercar vs ordinary looks

GT4 only uses some 911 engine for both 981 and 718 generations. as evident from all car reviews, the emira is so special and everyone raves about the hydraulic steering

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Emira vs GT4
bespoke vs parts bin

GT4 only uses some 911 engine for both 981 and 718 generations. as evident from all car reviews, the emira is so special and everyone raves about the hydraulic steering

Bespoke Camry engine.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Emira vs GT4
bespoke vs parts bin

Also improves owners' troubleshooting and diagnostic skills of complex electrical gremlins!