Another 718 GT4 vs. Emira Test Drive

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Today I had the opportunity to test drive a 718 GT4. I have given my thoughts on the Emira test drive that I had, I will link to it if you want to read, but I wanted to get my thoughts down for my own sake. Context: I am 26 years old, put the deposit down on an Emira when I was 25. Looking for something used less than a daily-driver and more than a weekend warrior. I have also tested a 718 GTS 4.0, an R8 v10+ manual (2012), and would like to test a supercharged 90’s NSX. Basically anything that is mid-engined, rwd, manual, and not electric is my criteria. I did not come from money, and this is probably my only big purchase like this for the rest of my life, so take that into consideration with how you may value the dollar vs how I do, be it more or less.

GT4 test drive conditions were a bit wet and not warm, on cup 2s, and city/highway. Manual Transmission. I don’t think there is any crazy new information in this review, so if you want to skip, the only brand new-ish things that may help you understand the cars without driving is in the ‘feel’ and 'verdict' section that I wrote.

The link to my Emira review, if anyone cares: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/...mer-test-drives-thread.2080/page-4#post-59465

Visuals: Much like the Evora/ GT, it is hard to photograph the GT4, as in my opinion it never quite looks as good as when you see it in person. Proportions are really great, and the profile of the Spyder they had looks even better to me. That said, it still does not look as nice as an Emira, in person or in photos. On the drive, it drew much less attention until the engine wound up than the Emira did. On the road, pretty much everyone snapped to look at the Emira, and only a couple did with the GT4. That could be good or bad, depending on your goals.

Getting in/ Interior: This will be different for LHD vs RHD, but the pedal configuration in the GT4 is laid out much more nicely than in a LHD Emira. Getting in and out is much harder in a GT4, as it is lower to the ground and the bucket seats are fairly aggressive. Immediately, the Porsche feels better around your body than the Emira, more on that later.

This may be controversial, but the analog and needle display and lack of big chunky display sticking out of the dash was much more my style. The Porsche felt more put together, but also more bare. I prefer the interior of the GT4.

Handling: People aren’t kidding when they say this is as good as an electric steering setup can be. There was less feedback from road vibrations, but I would venture to say that even though I was pushing it wayyy less than I was able to push the Emira, it directed where you wanted it to slightly better. This was likely a result of the Emira I tested being on sports suspension with goodyears, but I could definitely feel the front end start to give way (which in a sense is good that I received that feedback before ending up in a wall). There was none of that in the GT4. Exactly where you put it, and pretty much with identical immediacy between the cars.

Confidence: The GT4, maybe ironically, is an easier and more intuitive car to drive. Kind of crazy how approachable it is, actually. I was genuinely hoping that I would get out and think it was wayyy to intense to be a daily, but that just wasn’t the case. The rev matching feature is nice for when youre adapting to the vehicle, but I would ultimately turn it off.

Sound: The GT4 sounds better, and for longer in the rev band, period. It does not feel neutered like the Emira exhaust does.

Gearing: This is a big point for everyone on this forum… you can hit about 80 mph in 2nd gear. I will say I never went above 3rd, apart from a mis-shift into 5th. However, unlike the Emira, it pulls throughout the range with a pretty massive powerband (in terms of longevity), so just because you can be in second gear, doesn’t mean you will suffer if you shift around from first to third. You don’t have to shift near redline to get sufficient pull for a thrill, which is a bit unlike the Emira. Tall gears were not nearly the detriment I was told (and frankly I was hoping) they would be.

Feel: I am putting this separate from handling because I think it is an important distinction. I will do my best to describe this. In an Emira, you feel extremely connected to the road, but you feel like you are sitting in the car. In a GTS and GT4, you don’t feel as connected to the road, but you feel like you’re one with the car. You almost wear the Porsche and it does the work for you with insane ease. The Emira makes you work for it, you move the car based on what the road is telling you. The GT4 moves you with precision.

Suspension: Sports on an Emira and GT4 sports (adjustable) were both completely fine even on crappy roads for me – but I am younger than the average person here and have a history of cars with teeth-rattling suspension. That said, there should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that the GT4 suspension would blow an Emira’s away on a track with either spec.

The GT4 is very low, and front axle lift is not an option. This alone may be a reason I am unable to own one, give the approach angle leading to my neighborhood.

Engine: The 4.0 feels like it is doing what it is designed to do and is not holding anything back, and as I am sure anyone who has driven the Emira near redline can say, it feels like it has just a bit more to give. These are both cars that could get you arrested easily at 10/10ths. However, as I am sure you all know, you will have many more opportunities to drive the Emira harder than you would a GT4.

Visibility: Slightly better view out the back in the Porsche, much much better view out the sides in the Lotus. The windshield in the GT4 also makes you feel like you can see less ahead of you, and feels less open than the Emira’s.

Used vs New: You cannot spec a new GT4 anymore, so you are stuck picking from a pool of pre-owned ones. For a car this price, you may want to have it exactly how you’d want, which you can do with an Emira. On the other hand, a pre-owned Porsche is something you can own today, and interest rates are only going up. Additionally, even a pre-owned Porsche comes with a better warranty than a brand new Lotus. I wont go in to ease of service with dealer networks or perceived future values.

Occasion: Apart from not turning heads like an Emira, and not being as ‘exclusive,’ driving the car just doesn’t give you the same butterflies, or it didn’t give me them at least. I am not a guy who has a background of supercars/ super sports/ high end sports, whatever you want to call it, but even I didn’t feel all that special in the Porsche. Again, not just from visuals, but almost from the ease of the drive. You feel as though almost anyone could get in and drive, which is fantastic engineering on Porsche’s part when you think about it.

Price: In my area, GT4s and Spyders are going for 130-145k ish. Emira is 95-105k ish, depending on a bunch of factors at the moment.

Verdict: The GT4 is a superior car, no questions asked. It edges out the Emira in almost every way. I would probably say it was the best car I have ever driven (not been in, but driven). I wish I didn’t like it so much, as it is making it a hard choice. At risk of coming off as stupid, the problem is that the car is too good. I found myself doing less work, being less engaged, and almost at ease. The GT4 is crazy capable, way more so than I am, to a point where it was almost boring after a bit… boring is an unfairly harsh word to use. Obviously, it wasn’t boring… just less of a “wow.” Again, I am not desensitized to these cars and I am relatively inexperienced with them. I did not feel at ease in the R8, and I did not feel relaxed in a C8 (even though I didn’t enjoy it). I did not experience the same thrill and desire to push harder, nor the butterflies or special feeling that the Emira gave me, which is hard to describe with words. I was having a ton of fun, but I didn’t come away with the same smile I had gotten from other cars, even way less powerful ones.

If these cars were the same price, I would buy a GT4. If they gave me the same sense of occasion, I would pay 140k for a GT4. As it stands now, even with the Lotus price hikes up to 105k, I don’t think it makes sense to pay an extra third of the price for less engagement. After all, I have worked hard to earn money to spend in this niche market for a car to drive, not a car that makes it easy. That said, Lotus is on thin ice for me… with the option of having a car now instead of in a year, if they bump this price up much further, they are losing me to a phenomenal car. Even saying this, I still have not made up my mind 100%.

Last edited:

Foxy87

Reaction score
Thanks. I dont know if you read my thoughts on the Gt4 in comparison to the Emira but I agree with you 100% on your verdict. Maybe not on every point in your review as I think the Emira pulls harder and sounds as good as the Gt4. But all in all, your verdict is spot on and exactly what I personally felt after driving the two cars almost back to back. At least on the road, the GT4 feels just not as exciting as the Emira.

I am still on the fence. If these reviews and laptimes were not so mediocre, I would have bought an Emira by now… but I just cant wrap my head around it just yet😕

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Today I had the opportunity to test drive a 718 GT4. I have given my thoughts on the Emira test drive that I had, I will link to it if you want to read, but I wanted to get my thoughts down for my own sake. Context: I am 26 years old, put the deposit down on an Emira when I was 25. Looking for something used less than a daily-driver and more than a weekend warrior. I have also tested a 718 GTS 4.0, an R8 v10+ manual (2012), and would like to test a supercharged 90’s NSX. Basically anything that is mid-engined, rwd, manual, and not electric is my criteria. I did not come from money, and this is probably my only big purchase like this for the rest of my life, so take that into consideration with how you may value the dollar vs how I do, be it more or less.

GT4 test drive conditions were a bit wet and not warm, on cup 2s, and city/highway. Manual Transmission. I don’t think there is any crazy new information in this review, so if you want to skip, the only brand new-ish things that may help you understand the cars without driving is in the ‘feel’ and 'verdict' section that I wrote.

The link to my Emira review, if anyone cares: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/...mer-test-drives-thread.2080/page-4#post-59465

Visuals: Much like the Evora/ GT, it is hard to photograph the GT4, as in my opinion it never quite looks as good as when you see it in person. Proportions are really great, and the profile of the Spyder they had looks even better to me. That said, it still does not look as nice as an Emira, in person or in photos. On the drive, it drew much less attention until the engine wound up than the Emira did. On the road, pretty much everyone snapped to look at the Emira, and only a couple did with the GT4. That could be good or bad, depending on your goals.

Getting in/ Interior: This will be different for LHD vs RHD, but the pedal configuration in the GT4 is laid out much more nicely than in a LHD Emira. Getting in and out is much harder in a GT4, as it is lower to the ground and the bucket seats are fairly aggressive. Immediately, the Porsche feels better around your body than the Emira, more on that later.

This may be controversial, but the analog and needle display and lack of big chunky display sticking out of the dash was much more my style. The Porsche felt more put together, but also more bare. I prefer the interior of the GT4.

Handling: People aren’t kidding when they say this is as good as an electric steering setup can be. There was less feedback from road vibrations, but I would venture to say that even though I was pushing it wayyy less than I was able to push the Emira, it directed where you wanted it to slightly better. This was likely a result of the Emira I tested being on sports suspension with goodyears, but I could definitely feel the front end start to give way (which in a sense is good that I received that feedback before ending up in a wall). There was none of that in the GT4. Exactly where you put it, and pretty much with identical immediacy between the cars.

Confidence: The GT4, maybe ironically, is an easier and more intuitive car to drive. Kind of crazy how approachable it is, actually. I was genuinely hoping that I would get out and think it was wayyy to intense to be a daily, but that just wasn’t the case. The rev matching feature is nice for when youre adapting to the vehicle, but I would ultimately turn it off.

Sound: The GT4 sounds better, and for longer in the rev band, period. It does not feel neutered like the Emira exhaust does.

Gearing: This is a big point for everyone on this forum… you can hit about 80 mph in 2nd gear. I will say I never went above 3rd, apart from a mis-shift into 5th. However, unlike the Emira, it pulls throughout the range with a pretty massive powerband (in terms of longevity), so just because you can be in second gear, doesn’t mean you will suffer if you shift around from first to third. You don’t have to shift near redline to get sufficient pull for a thrill, which is a bit unlike the Emira. Tall gears were not nearly the detriment I was told (and frankly I was hoping) they would be.

Feel: I am putting this separate from handling because I think it is an important distinction. I will do my best to describe this. In an Emira, you feel extremely connected to the road, but you feel like you are sitting in the car. In a GTS and GT4, you don’t feel as connected to the road, but you feel like you’re one with the car. You almost wear the Porsche and it does the work for you with insane ease. The Emira makes you work for it, you move the car based on what the road is telling you. The GT4 moves you with precision.

Suspension: Sports on an Emira and GT4 sports (adjustable) were both completely fine even on crappy roads for me – but I am younger than the average person here and have a history of cars with teeth-rattling suspension. That said, there should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that the GT4 suspension would blow an Emira’s away on a track with either spec.

The GT4 is very low, and front axle lift is not an option. This alone may be a reason I am unable to own one, give the approach angle leading to my neighborhood.

Engine: The 4.0 feels like it is doing what it is designed to do and is not holding anything back, and as I am sure anyone who has driven the Emira near redline can say, it feels like it has just a bit more to give. These are both cars that could get you arrested easily at 10/10ths. However, as I am sure you all know, you will have many more opportunities to drive the Emira harder than you would a GT4.

Visibility: Slightly better view out the back in the Porsche, much much better view out the sides in the Lotus. The windshield in the GT4 also makes you feel like you can see less ahead of you, and feels less open than the Emira’s.

Used vs New: You cannot spec a new GT4 anymore, so you are stuck picking from a pool of pre-owned ones. For a car this price, you may want to have it exactly how you’d want, which you can do with an Emira. On the other hand, a pre-owned Porsche is something you can own today, and interest rates are only going up. Additionally, even a pre-owned Porsche comes with a better warranty than a brand new Lotus. I wont go in to ease of service with dealer networks or perceived future values.

Occasion: Apart from not turning heads like an Emira, and not being as ‘exclusive,’ driving the car just doesn’t give you the same butterflies, or it didn’t give me them at least. I am not a guy who has a background of supercars/ super sports/ high end sports, whatever you want to call it, but even I didn’t feel all that special in the Porsche. Again, not just from visuals, but almost from the ease of the drive. You feel as though almost anyone could get in and drive, which is fantastic engineering on Porsche’s part when you think about it.

Price: The GT4 is a superior car, no doubt, and edges the Emira out in almost every way. In my area, GT4s and Spyders are going for 130-145k ish. Emira is 95-105k ish, depending on a bunch of factors at the moment.

Verdict: The GT4 is a superior car, no questions asked. It edges out the Emira in almost every way. I would probably say it was the best car I have ever driven (not been in, but driven). I wish I didn’t like it so much, as it is making it a hard choice. At risk of coming off as stupid, the problem is that the car is too good. I found myself doing less work, being less engaged, and almost at ease. The GT4 is crazy capable, way more so than I am, to a point where it was almost boring after a bit… boring is an unfairly harsh word to use. Obviously, it wasn’t boring… just less of a “wow.” Again, I am not desensitized to these cars and I am relatively inexperienced with them. I did not feel at ease in the R8, and I did not feel relaxed in a C8 (even though I didn’t enjoy it). I did not experience the same thrill and desire to push harder, nor the butterflies or special feeling that the Emira gave me, which is hard to describe with words. I was having a ton of fun, but I didn’t come away with the same smile I had gotten from other cars, even way less powerful ones.

If these cars were the same price, I would buy a GT4. If they gave me the same sense of occasion, I would pay 140k for a GT4. As it stands now, even with the Lotus price hikes up to 105k, I don’t think it makes sense to pay an extra third of the price for less engagement. After all, I have worked hard to earn money to spend in this niche market for a car to drive, not a car that makes it easy. That said, Lotus is on thin ice for me… with the option of having a car now instead of in a year, if they bump this price up much further, they are losing me to a phenomenal car. Even saying this, I still have not made up my mind 100%.
Thanks for the review. Agree on many points. My overall conclusion of the Porsche brand is that the best use of Porsche for me is a 911 Base/S/T as a daily driver. It's the perfect daily sporty car. But the rest of more sporty P cars don't do it for me for either excessive price, lack of exclusivity or like you said, being too perfect to the point of being boring.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. I dont know if you read my thoughts on the Gt4 in comparison to the Emira but I agree with you 100% on your verdict. Maybe not on every point in your review as I think the Emira pulls harder and sounds as good as the Gt4. But all in all, your verdict is spot on and exactly what I personally felt after driving the two cars almost back to back. At least on the road, the GT4 feels just not as exciting as the Emira.

I am still on the fence. If these reviews and laptimes were not so mediocre, I would have bought an Emira by now… but I just cant wrap my head around it just yet😕
I knew at least one other person had done it and didn't want to step on any toes, so I titled mine "another" haha! I think the pull isnt too different, it is just that in the Emira you have to be up in the powerband, in the GT4, almost the whole rev range is the powerband so you dont get that little burst around 4k (not like a turbo, still very linear in the Emira compared to other cars). The exhaust sounded better to me all around for the GT4, but that is just an opinion and not a fact! It is very tricky between the two, but hard to justify the extra price. I am also teetering though, like you are.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Agree on many points. My overall conclusion of the Porsche brand is that the best use of Porsche for me is a 911 Base/S/T as a daily driver. It's the perfect daily sporty car. But the rest of more sporty P cars don't do it for me for either excessive price, lack of exclusivity or like you said, being too perfect to the point of being boring.
Yeah, it is a strange thing, and a bit humbling in a way, to say the car of that degree could afford to be a bit more exciting. I just feel blessed to have even been able to have the opportunity to drive these kinds of cars even for a bit! For many people it is a dream that could never come true!

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the review , but gt4 was never a direct competitor for the emira I think

Gts 4.0 is the review to made
I completely agree, for most people, that is! I drove the GTS 4.0, as I said, about a month ago. I did not write a review, because frankly it seemed like the Emira was an easy choice (for me, personally) afterwards. May not be the case for everyone! For me, if I was going the well-established, better-built Porsche route for ultimately more money, it would be a 718 GT4.

Spark notes version of my opinions if you care: Looked ordinary, better daily-driver, less engaging yet. Shifter/ clutch felt a bit better and more intuitive across the board in Porsche's, but probably not as much better as people make it seem online. Absolute biggest differentiation for me was suspension... GT4 suspension is much more what Im looking for than the GTS. The rest was honestly very similar between the GT4 and GTS. For me, I did not come away thinking it was super close to an Emira, for my specific taste! GTS is probably a better car for more people, though. Just my opinion, though.

Edit: I should clarify that I am referring to a new 718 GTS being less engagement per dollar. If you are looking at used ones, it may be the way to go, since some pre-owned ones could actually be a tiny bit less than a new Emira in my area. So your point is still very valid!

Last edited:

Foxy87

Reaction score
Didnt you feel like you need to keep the GT4 above 5k rpm to really get some punch? And on street legal speed that meant not getting higher than 2nd gear. It just felt the car was extremely „under challenged“ at legal (or slight above) speeds…

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Price: The GT4 is a superior car, no doubt, and edges the Emira out in almost every way. In my area, GT4s and Spyders are going for 130-145k ish. Emira is 95-105k ish, depending on a bunch of factors at the moment.

Great post. Enjoyed reading it. I need to find a way to drive a GT4. Although not a direct competitor to the Emira many people on this forum are shopping it along with the Emira. How hard do you push the car to sense the GT4 is "too good?" Would an average driver who is nowhere near the car's limit be able to sense the car is "too good.?" That is a popular comment about GT4s on this forum.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Didnt you feel like you need to keep the GT4 above 5k rpm to really get some punch? And on street legal speed that meant not getting higher than 2nd gear. It just felt the car was extremely „under challenged“ at legal (or slight above) speeds…
Yeah from what I felt, there was more punch above 5k with a slight drop off around 7200ish, but even out of the 'prime' powerband, way down at 3-4k the grunt felt sufficient. Under 4k in the Emira felt a bit insufficient to me, and above 7k isnt an option! Like in the GT4, I could shift to 3500 and still feel like I could pull out of it with enough oomph for the twisties. In the Emira, shifting down to 3500 may bog you down when you get back on the gas exiting a turn... Youre right though you can easily leave it in second gear and never have to take it out, but i'd find my self shifting to third gear even when I didnt have to, just to have something to do! And it wasn't that much of a detriment as I had expected vs staying in second! Fourth is out of the question though unless youre on your way to jail.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Spectacular review. I have my wife interested in Spyders now. I Gotta go drive one.
‘For me the open top equals out the dynamics differences between the two. I think a certified Spyder is value at 105, I feel the Emira is value at 85.

Last edited:
OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Great post. Enjoyed reading it. I need to find a way to drive a GT4. Although not a direct competitor to the Emira many people on this forum are shopping it along with the Emira. How hard do you push the car to sense the GT4 is "too good?" Would an average driver who is nowhere near the car's limit be able to sense the car is "too good.?" That is a popular comment about GT4s on this forum.
The reason I feel the car is "too good" is largely because an average driver could push the car pretty hard. It is easy... maybe also easy to overestimate yourself because of that, too. Feels like the car is doing it all for you and you just need to get in. I feel when other people say it is too good, they are referring to the fact it is more rapid or the suspension is too hardcore, and I dont think these were the case for me in this aspect. More that the car was taking care of it all for you, which is hard to explain.

This may be hard to believe and others may disagree: My old mazdaspeed6 was genuinely much harder to drive than the GT4. Provided the student didn't have a lead foot, it would be easier to learn to drive stick in a GT4 than in a WRX STi. It is that forgiving and intuitive.

For the record, conditions werent great for me, not raining but had recently. I dont want to lie and make it seem like I was romping it around and know how it reacts at it's limits. Around turns I probably didnt push it above 5/10ths. In straights I had put my foot gradually to the floor once on the highway in second, just to feel it. Only entered 4th gear in regular traffic on the highway. I was at maybe 6.5/10ths overall, but it inspired confidence that in better conditions you'd have no problem pushing it harder around bends. I will say the front felt more composed and direct than the Emira, even when pushing it less hard. But less communicative or exciting.

It is hard to explain, but I almost felt like the manual was a bit unnecessary (something I never thought I could ever utter) in the GT4, not just because of the long gears, but because the car does so much for you in terms of filtering and correcting issues and directly putting you where you need to be, you dont need to focus nearly as much on it. Why not let it shift for you too? It can do a better job than we can, and the car is already doing 80% of the work that I normally want to be doing as an engaged driver. Earlier today if you would have said that to me, I would have disagreed and thought manual was the way to go for any car in any application.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Spectacular review. I have my wife interested in Spyders now. I Gotta go drive one.
‘For me the open top equals out the dynamics differences between the two. I think a certified Spyder is value at 105, I feel the Emira is value at 85.
This would be a huge factor for me too, if I didn't already have a motorcycle and a quicker replacement one on the way! I get my top down and 0-60 kicks via bikes... it is cheaper! Plus, when you outrun my Emira in your Spyder, I can still say to myself "theyre just lucky I wasnt on a bike" and feel better ;)

Foxy87

Reaction score
If I may answer this as well: the car is so capable that it feels just kind of boring on normal roads. When you push the emira you think „damn this is fast“ and then you look at the speedo and your just slightly above the speed limit. In the GT4 you think „oh that is not even that fast“ and when you look at the speedo you realize you‘ve already in jail with one leg… you dont need to push the GT4 at all and the car already doesnt make sense out on public roads (at least to me)

OneThreeOne

Reaction score
I'm going to chime in here. I have owned multiple Porsches... 9 to be exact. Mostly Spyders... all generations (987.2, 981 & 982). Driven many 911s, most recent being 992 GTS at Laguna . Porsches are definitely more capable. On paper they outshine the Emira all day. I feel like anyone can drive the newer Porsches though. Skillset Isnt required anymore. It's also funny, I noticed that most of the complaints of the Emira are for the most part things I prefer. The Emira is definitely more engaging. Things I hated about my 718 Spyder were the shifting... had the second gear grind. I prefer more notching/gated shifter feel. The long gearing... B roads I was mainly in second the entire time. Exhaust... wouldn't open up until 4500-5000rpm... I managed to install the Cargraphic valve controller but then I had the drone. I agree with what people are saying above. Some of my friends think I'm crazy to even consider a Lotus over a Porsche. I was so on the fence prior to my test drive last year... leaning more on bailing. After my drive though there was zero question for me. The grin on my face said it all.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm going to chime in here. I have owned multiple Porsches... 9 to be exact. Mostly Spyders... all generations (987.2, 981 & 982). Driven many 911s, most recent being 992 GTS at Laguna . Porsches are definitely more capable. On paper they outshine the Emira all day. I feel like anyone can drive the newer Porsches though. Skillset Isnt required anymore. It's also funny, I noticed that most of the complaints of the Emira are for the most part things I prefer. The Emira is definitely more engaging. Things I hated about my 718 Spyder were the shifting... had the second gear grind. I prefer more notching/gated shifter feel. The long gearing... B roads I was mainly in second the entire time. Exhaust... wouldn't open up until 4500-5000rpm... I managed to install the Cargraphic valve controller but then I had the drone. I agree with what people are saying above. Some of my friends think I'm crazy to even consider a Lotus over a Porsche. I was so on the fence prior to my test drive last year... leaning more on bailing. After my drive though there was zero question for me. The grin on my face said it all.
You nailed it! Also makes me feel a bit more validated that someone with way more experience feels similarly, I almost felt not qualified to have opinions on this. I felt weird coming in and saying "yeah guys this is too easy to drive, isnt as exciting" all high and mighty like ive been around the block. And again, it really is an incredible thing that Porsche can engineer a car that makes your average joe feel like a GT car is simple to drive. Just probably not the thing for me!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

I agreed with a lot of your review. I've been shopping GT4s for years... 981s and 718s. I've driven many (one as recent as last weekend) and what it comes down to for me is that the GT4 just doesn't excite me or give me that sense of occasion when I see it and walk toward it to get inside and drive. The GT4 is the better car and the smarter decision. They're reliable, hold value, and have a very strong dealer network and aftermarket. The Emira doesn't have any of that.

It would have been a tough decision if the Emira was out when I was shopping 981s pre-pandemic when they could be found everywhere for $80-90k. Now 981s and 718s are $100-150k. It's no competition for me at this point. I want the Emira.. especially for a brand new one that's potentially $30k less that the average pre-owned 718 GT4. I'm also not going to pay $90-100k for a 7-8 year old 981 GT4. The pre-owned market is just ridiculous these days.

Again, I realize Porsche is (almost always) the smarter purchase. But since when is an exotic sportscar a rational decision? Like you, I'm younger (30s) and have been saving years and years for this purchase. I was so excited for the Emira and I'll admit I'm a little burned out. It seems like it's been nothing but little let downs since the reveal. The delays have been major letdowns. And their poor comms have nearly made me hate the brand and I'm constantly looking for other options. That being said, if I wanted to spend 718 GT4 money, I'd spend an extra $20k and get a '17+ McLaren 570S. But the rational side tells me to just get a Cayman GTS. But that's boring, they're everywhere, and I still want the Emira... even though, at this point, she's like the hot girl in high school who keeps telling me she'll leave her current boyfriend soon, so I just keep waiting and hoping it'll payoff in the end. So far it's been nothing but abuse and I desperately wish something else would come around and excite me.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agreed with a lot of your review. I've been shopping GT4s for years... 981s and 718s. I've driven many (one as recent as last weekend) and what it comes down to for me is that the GT4 just doesn't excite me or give me that sense of occasion when I see it and walk toward it to get inside and drive. The GT4 is the better car and the smarter decision. They're reliable, hold value, and have a very strong dealer network and aftermarket. The Emira doesn't have any of that.

It would have been a tough decision if the Emira was out when I was shopping 981s pre-pandemic when they could be found everywhere for $80-90k. Now 981s and 718s are $100-150k. It's no competition for me at this point. I want the Emira.. especially for a brand new one that's potentially $30k less that the average pre-owned 718 GT4. I'm also not going to pay $90-100k for a 7-8 year old 981 GT4. The pre-owned market is just ridiculous these days.

Again, I realize Porsche is (almost always) the smarter purchase. But since when is an exotic sportscar a rational decision? Like you, I'm younger (30s) and have been saving years and years for this purchase. I was so excited for the Emira and I'll admit I'm a little burned out. It seems like it's been nothing but little let downs since the reveal. The delays have been major letdowns. And their poor comms have nearly made me hate the brand and I'm constantly looking for other options. That being said, if I wanted to spend 718 GT4 money, I'd spend an extra $20k and get a '17+ McLaren 570S. But the rational side tells me to just get a Cayman GTS. But that's boring, they're everywhere, and I still want the Emira... even though, at this point, she's like the hot girl in high school who keeps telling me she'll leave her current boyfriend soon, so I just keep waiting and hoping it'll payoff in the end. So far it's been nothing but abuse and I desperately wish something else would come around and excite me.
Spot on, I used to love Lotus as a brand, now I wouldn't recommend the experience to anyone, I just want the darn car already! Hoping someday I will be saying it was worth the wait, but what a horrible wait it has been. And to your other point, even 'rational' cars today are off the charts with markups and the used market. GR corolla for 65k? Civic Type R for 70k? KIAs for 50k? Heck, a mid 2000's winter beater civic that has more rust than body is ~10k sometimes these days.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, being rare is relative. Perhaps the Emira will be rare at first, but we will soon see it often here in Silicon Valley. It’s still a cool sight seeing an exotic, but Ferraris and Lambos are also a dime a dozen. Emira’s selling point is the exotic looks at Porsche price. Porsche is popular for a reason too.