• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

OP
Lotus64

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira offers truly "breath taking performance" and is for the drivers. The turn in, grip, power delivery, sound and the immediate response from the steering, sport suspension, brakes and clutch / shifter are stunningly phenomenal.

Acceleration performance is more then adequate in my opinon, but understandbly may be lacking for those used to more power. I have a more powerful car with a slightly higher weight per hp ratio than the Emira (8.7 vs. 8.1), yet I've never wanted for more power in that vehicle, on street or track, and am expecting the Emira to be slightly quicker.

I'm confident that fears of the Emira being diluted for mass market appeal vs. the Evora will quickly be squashed as everyone experiences the car. I can say with certainty that the Emira is not soft in any sense, shape or form! It is definetly firm, as you'd expect from a sport suspension, yet complaint enough to be driven often. I'm set on switching to sport suspension for my configuration after experiencing it, because it seemed to enhance feel through the road and steering as well as dynamic capability, yet kept the complaince to more than acceptable levels for those of us that don't want to be beat up.

In fact, I'd say that lotus may have struck the most perfect balance between raw engagement and relative comfort. It feels hard edged, yet refined. It's sensitive to inputs, yet composed. It's glued to the road and responds to undulations by flowing over them, amplifying each one to the driver without upsetting the ride as the steering wheel flutters in the drivers hand, faithfully going exactly where the driver places it. Nothing about the sporting nature of this vehicle feels compromised in any way despite the additional comfort features and the slight weight increase from the Evora. I'm actually grateful for the added comfort as this is the first lotus I've felt comfortable in from the driver seat. I've never driven an evora, but any Evora trim that drove even nearly this well deserves all the praise in the world.

Everyone will know after a brief drive if this is the car for them. It's unique attributes are immediately on display, even after a brief time behind the wheel, and if those are your priorities they will immediately shine through and you'll be in love instantly! For me, it's the ultra responsive, fun to drive car I've always wanted since I was a toddler. For a driving enthusiast who loves connecting with the machinery, this is as good as it gets in 2022.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Emira offers truly "breath taking performance" and is for the drivers. The turn in, grip, power delivery, sound and the immediate response from the steering, sport suspension, brakes and clutch / shifter are stunningly phenomenal.

Acceleration performance is more then adequate in my opinon, but understandbly may be lacking for those used to more power. I have a more powerful car with a slightly higher weight per hp ratio than the Emira (8.7 vs. 8.1), yet I've never wanted for more power in that vehicle, on street or track, and am expecting the Emira to be slightly quicker.

I'm confident that fears of the Emira being diluted for mass market appeal vs. the Evora will quickly be squashed as everyone experiences the car. I can say with certainty that the Emira is not soft in any sense, shape or form! It is definetly firm, as you'd expect from a sport suspension, yet complaint enough to be driven often. I'm set on switching to sport suspension for my configuration after experiencing it, because it seemed to enhance feel through the road and steering as well as dynamic capability, yet kept the complaince to more than acceptable levels for those of us that don't want to be beat up.

In fact, I'd say that lotus may have struck the most perfect balance between raw engagement and relative comfort. It feels hard edged, yet refined. It's sensitive to inputs, yet composed. It's glued to the road and responds to undulations by flowing over them, amplifying each one to the driver without upsetting the ride as the steering wheel flutters in the drivers hand, faithfully going exactly where the driver places it. Nothing about the sporting nature of this vehicle feels compromised in any way despite the additional comfort features and the slight weight increase from the Evora. I'm actually grateful for the added comfort as this is the first lotus I've felt comfortable in from the driver seat. I've never driven an evora, but any Evora trim that drove even nearly this well deserves all the praise in the world.

Everyone will know after a brief drive if this is the car for them. It's unique attributes are immediately on display, even after a brief time behind the wheel, and if those are your priorities they will immediately shine through and you'll be in love instantly! For me, it's the ultra responsive, fun to drive car I've always wanted since I was a toddler. For a driving enthusiast who loves connecting with the machinery, this is as good as it gets in 2022.
Is this guy a plant from Lotus? Came out of nowhere and has nothing but really good things to say. Hmmm....

OP
Lotus64

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is this guy a plant from Lotus? Came out of nowhere and has nothing but really good things to say. Hmmm....

Nicholasb, I don't appreciate being called a plant. And I did share complaints as well.

On the other hand, your post is the only review so far in this thread with excessive negativity towards the Emira, and even then, your criticism is thin. You're the outlier, not me. You gloss over the good on purpose, like how good it sounds and how good the steering is, cause that's not what you wanted to discuss. I'm sure you were already annoyed about having to drive 8 hrs to see it and don't want to service a car that far so you already started the process to rule it out.

You fail to give any meaningful details on actually driving impressions aside from it being too slow (the car was never going to be a drag racer) and you having difficulty shifting cause you rushed the gates. That's fine I guess, not everyone cares about driving dynamics.

But then you dwell on details like the headrest is too short (non-issue) and the footwell is small (don't wear clown shoes). Seems like your mind was made up before the test drive and you were searching for the negative attributes to reinforce your opinion. You missed the whole point of the car. And of course, the posters wanting to hear negativity due their own negative pre conceived notions ate it up rather than trying to keep an open mind.

I have no reason to say positive things about the Emira aside from genuine respect and appreciation for Lotus Engineering. I can't imagine a car guy ripping around in Emira, at red line and not smiling but that's just me. I hope people like you drop their reservations so that the people who appreciate an involved driving experience over drag racing, long range comfort and headrest height can get their cars sooner.

Based on your and the wife's wants, and coming from an RS7, the Emira is not for you. You never really wanted one and frankly, you don't deserve one cause you're not capable of appreciating the inherent goodness. Based on your comments, you desire another sports sedan like the M3, not a sports car. Have fun with that. Not even on the Same stratosphere as the Emira.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Nicholasb, I don't appreciate being called a plant. And I did share complaints as well.

On the other hand, your post is the only review so far in this thread with excessive negativity towards the Emira, and even then, your criticism is thin. You're the outlier, not me. You gloss over the good on purpose, like how good it sounds and how good the steering is, cause that's not what you wanted to discuss. I'm sure you were already annoyed about having to drive 8 hrs to see it and don't want to service a car that far so you already started the process to rule it out.

You fail to give any meaningful details on actually driving impressions aside from it being too slow (the car was never going to be a drag racer) and you having difficulty shifting cause you rushed the gates. That's fine I guess, not everyone cares about driving dynamics.

But then you dwell on details like the headrest is too short (non-issue) and the footwell is small (don't wear clown shoes). Seems like your mind was made up before the test drive and you were searching for the negative attributes to reinforce your opinion. You missed the whole point of the car. And of course, the posters wanting to hear negativity due their own negative pre conceived notions ate it up rather than trying to keep an open mind.

I have no reason to say positive things about the Emira aside from genuine respect and appreciation for Lotus Engineering. I can't imagine a car guy ripping around in Emira, at red line and not smiling but that's just me. I hope people like you drop their reservations so that the people who appreciate an involved driving experience over drag racing, long range comfort and headrest height can get their cars sooner.

Based on your and the wife's wants, and coming from an RS7, the Emira is not for you. You never really wanted one and frankly, you don't deserve one cause you're not capable of appreciating the inherent goodness. Based on your comments, you desire another sports sedan like the M3, not a sports car. Have fun with that. Not even on the Same stratosphere as the Emira.
Well then, I had made my comment in jest, but you took it quite seriously.

I won't waste much time replying to all that nonsense, but my mind was not made up before getting there, I also didn't mind the road trip, and my wife doesn't care one bit about what car I drive. She would still be happy if I had a Toyota Camry.

I wanted this car to be great (for me) just as much as anyone on here, but alas, I am very honest, especially to myself, and went with my heart on this. I'm not a "drag racer" because I like a quick car. My uncle owns a small road course track 2 miles from my house. Good handling is extremely important to me.

Trust me when I say that I was very disappointed to give my report on here. I am sure they we will be brilliant for most. Unfortunately I just don't have a place in that category at this time.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Thank you.

Your feedback is representative of Emira being the perfect B road blaster that I was hoping it will be, which, coupled with the Exige S RGB and GR Yaris, will certainly keep me entertained for some time - I would not want any more power.

As far as I am concerned steering feel, how sharp it is and how well a car copes with undulating road surfaces and camber changes tops it all for me. It is nice to have enough power for swift overtakes on single track roads, but that is a nice to have. Steering feel and neutral handling is number 1. Understeer that everyone appears to highlight or complain about can be cured quite easily, so not too worried about that.

However, if Emira turns out to be a disappointment then I will most likely return to a Metzger-engined 911, and one from Porsche motorsport division's creations at that - the 997 GT3 (RS) tops that list.

Last edited:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ok, here it is (long, but hopefully useful for readers):

- I have been waiting for this test drive (and seeing the car for first time) for a while now, though not as long as others. I am 41, been into cars since I was 10 and still am a total "car guy". I went to college, but then decided to pursue my passion. I was on the Bimmerworld racing team for a bit, building race cars and working the pits at races, then went to UTI (automotive tech school) to keep moving my career forward. While there I got a job at a Porsche independent shop and worked on anything from an engine rebuild on a 356, to upgrading turbos on a 996, etc. I already had a very good working knowledge of mechanics and having already changed engines and rebuilt them, etc. growing up, so this was not too hard for me. After school was completed, I was chosen for the Porsche technician training program (12 chosen nationwide per year) and completed that. I then worked at the world's largest Porsche dealer in Florida and was one of the highest-earning techs at the time and was working on and driving amazing cars (this was closer to 2008). I have driven 911 Turbo S, 997 GT3, and every other model going back to the 356 (scary slow in traffic). Eventually I moved back home to Upstate NY and bought my father's small construction company and that is my everyday activity.

- My car ownership history includes: V6 Ford Probe GT I custom turbo'd and was fastest in the world for a stint, custom Nissan 240SX with skyline engine swap, 95 E36 M3 with custom turbo kit (~500hp), 96 E36 328i with every mod done to suspension and engine, '94 Integra stock, 2003 20th AE GTI with upgraded exhaust and tune, Audi RS5 with tune and exhaust, 2017 Audi RS7 with tune (~670hp). There are others in there, most were manual transmission and were fun, fast cars that put a smile on my face. The last 3 years I have been building a house and didn't have time or space for a fun car, but now it's done and I have my 3rd garage stall awaiting a toy.

- So, test drive yesterday. Lotus of Western NY is basically a hobby dealer that is owned by a guy who owns the Nissan dealer next door, but has a rich history with Lotus and racing cars and bikes. He's in his late 60's or early 70's and is a heck of a nice guy. The place is very tiny, filled with memorabilia from Andretti, James Bond, etc. I got to drive the Yellow Euro Spec Emira with sports suspension and Goodyears fitted. I took probably a 10-15 minute drive that was part expressway, part neighborhoods, part 45mph zone through business district. Here are my thoughts after sleeping on it.

- Car sounds good, looks great and is a huge jump from the previous cars (which I have no experience with other than sitting in them yesterday). The seat was fine, bolstering fit me well and I had it all the way down. My head was near the ceiling, possible I could fit a helmet, not positive. Head was halfway above the top of the headrest (6'3") and I didn't love that. The pedals are way too close. I had sneakers on and my clutch foot kept catching my braking foot. I ended up driving with my clutch foot half off the pedal, which is tricky because they are small pedals. Driving shoes would pretty much be needed for me (size 13 sneaker). The shifter was odd to get used to, and I have driven tons of manual cars. I mis-shifted 3 times, which is 3x more than I think I have in my life. When you switch from 4th to 5th, you have to be sure you don't go past the middle before then pushing to the right and then forward. You have to be VERY deliberate or you will go right into 3rd. The side to side action doesn't occur unless you are right in the middle. That took some getting used to (along with not hitting the brake by accident with my other foot).

- Revving out felt like it took an eternity to get to redline, and then it cut out quickly and surprised me. It did want to keep revving, but 6,800 isn't high enough. The power doesn't feel fast to me. I guess it is smooth, but doesn't feel torquey. I drove my wife's Tesla Model Y 4 hours to get there yesterday, and hers is the dual motor, NON-performance. The Tesla feels much quicker, rated at 0-60 in 4.8 from factory. I don't like her Tesla, but it's way more fun to hit the pedal in hers than the Emira. I was driving in Sport mode by the way. I didn't care for the digital tach, have to keep your eye on it as opposed to a needle that you can see sweeping out of the corner of your eye.

- While cruising the highway, exhaust noise is present, switch to Tour mode and it's nearly silent. Car was plenty loud and sounded nice. It felt like it was N/A and maybe 325hp to me, very, very surprising. The steering was good, didn't blow my mind, just felt like it should. The sport suspension was decent over bumpy roads, but I could tell Touring would have been the correct choice for my needs. I'm not going to the track, just driving on weekends for a short road trips with the wife or just cruising back roads alone. No need for that extra bumpiness, it doesn't gain you way better handling.

- The parking sensors were going off in traffic while pulling up to stop lights and I think the dealer was letting the Lotus USA rep Brian know that. Was very odd. The steering wheel was just fine, a non-issue in size and shape. The hood seal was noticeable, perhaps not the final version, but not a big deal. The trunk had nice space, and a battery tender plug was coming out from the battery storage area.

- I was excited beforehand to try the radio and the infotainment, since I'm very much into high-quality audio. I never even turned it on, never once touched the screen at all. I was most interested in the drive, and after getting back, I was feeling kind of deflated and couldn't believe that I was let-down the way I was. It should have been everything I wanted, yet it only looked really good, but the performance and overall fit of me into the cockpit didn't really mesh. I wasn't having a big smile, I felt like I had to lie a little when other guys asked me how it was when I got back. I am not a good liar, but I couldn't genuinely say that I really loved it like I hoped to.

- There was a kid there bringing a friend for a test drive, and had a new M4, which I have had my eyes on for a while, and not had a chance to drive or sit in. He let me sit in it, has the optional carbon bucket seats, and it felt amazing (inflatable bolsters). If it had been a manual I would have bugged him for a test drive :p but suffice to say, I drove to the BMW dealer across town and spoke to them about ordering one. For every option it would be around $90k and could be here in about 4-5 months since they have 2 already on their list. They apologized it would be a long wait...lol.

I did sleep on this to be sure I felt the same, but it just didn't ignite my fire and make me feel what good cars usually do. I wished I could have driven it more on better roads, and the dealer told me when he gets the demo I can come borrow it for an overnight, which was terribly generous. I haven't mentioned to him anything about my order, but I think after this more than a year, binge-watching adventure on the forums of literally reading every single post, checking 20x per day, I think I am going to move on to something different. A lightly used V10 R8 for a bit more money, or maybe a brand new M4 for less money. I have to see what I feel like doing, but I think someone at this dealer will be moving from no FE to getting one. Or someone looking for Magma with blackpack and black wheels with tan interior somewhere might get theirs sooner? It makes me sad to post this, and hate to sway anyone to cancel or anything like that, but definitely drive it before buying. I ALMOST didn't make the 8+ hour round trip to drive it, but thank god I did because assuming it was everything I wanted would have lead to much greater disappointment next summer or winter or whenever it would have arrived.

- Feel free to ask questions, or PM them to me. Again, I am not trying to give the car a bad name or sway people for no reason, but these are my honest feelings about it and thought I had to share after coming this far. Sorry for needing so many words to say it!

View attachment 10039

View attachment 10040

View attachment 10041

View attachment 10042

• Pedals very close
  • Notchy shifter
  • Not torquey / not a ton of power

You've just described most Lotus that came before as well. These are things I love in the Elise. Tight box, satisfying thunk of the gear change, really work the car to get speed. Different stokes etc.

I tried an M4 in Germany and knew immediately it wasn't for me. Felt like a yacht. I have no doubt it's a great car, but it's not the sort of sporting experience I've become accustomed to. It's great we have choices.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
After driving it, the way I'm thinking about the whole ownership experience is changed. Special things (in all forms) come with compromises. That is in part, what makes them special. If they fixed all the shortcomings, it would cost 2-3x as much and be displaying a prancing horse logo, but to be honest, that would make it less special as well. For the price, it does a lot of things very right. I might not be able to take the new M3 from stoplight to stoplight, but I can guarantee you his girlfriend in the passenger seat will wish she was in my EMIRA. The conversations I'll have with gear heads at the gas station every time I fill up that no-one in a 911 is having (because they aren't special) will make up for slightly offset peddles. I've decided what I really want is "Special", because for the 1% of the time on the street I might actually use more car, it wont make up for the 99% of the time I'll be in the car that makes me feel like I'm driving something special. Life can be so mundane to begin with, why not appreciate something special when the opportunity presents?
steady on, steady on, steady on..
not all men are created equal..and not all 911's are created equal ;)
I bet I would get just as much attention at the gas station in mine (before I sell it) as with an Emira, difference being, in 18 months time in the UK at least, the Emira attention will die down a good bit, when they are more popular.... but we can make the most of it while it lasts :).

You were fine with the break and accelerator pedals? Ive only driven right hand drive, LHD worries me a little...seeing the picture above...

JKP

Emira Fan
Reaction score
steady on, steady on, steady on..
not all men are created equal..and not all 911's are created equal ;)
I bet I would get just as much attention at the gas station in mine (before I sell it) as with an Emira, difference being, in 18 months time in the UK at least, the Emira attention will die down a good bit, when they are more popular.... but we can make the most of it while it lasts :).

You were fine with the break and accelerator pedals? Ive only driven right hand drive, LHD worries me a little...seeing the picture above...
Fair points, all around. Yes, the peddles seemed fine to me. I don't remember them looking like the pictures I've seen. I wonder if the peddle box was also a prototype on the early cars. Based on the interiors we have now seen on actual production cars, its hard to be believe the peddle box was that unfinished looking. I'm a size 10.5 shoe size, and had no problem with the peddles in either case.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Fair points, all around. Yes, the peddles seemed fine to me. I don't remember them looking like the pictures I've seen. I wonder if the peddle box was also a prototype on the early cars. Based on the interiors we have now seen on actual production cars, its hard to be believe the peddle box was that unfinished looking. I'm a size 10.5 shoe size, and had no problem with the peddles in either case.
thanks, yes the photos look crazy tight...caterham tight, which I cant believe... my lhd elise was not that bad even...

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus Emira Test Drive

Specs: Alcantara seats (no stripes), sports suspension, goodyears

I had a 20-minute test drive, a bit of stop/ start, some hills and turns in the backroads. Background.... I am freshly 26 years old. Definitely one of the youngest ones on the forum here. I have driven an older Cayman, Evora, and a C8, these are the only other mid-engined cars I have driven, myself. History of cars I have owned/ modded is below. So while others may be more experienced, this may be helpful for someone who this may be their first major sports car, or maybe just a refreshing reminder for some of the people on here who have gotten maybe a tad spoiled by their own experiences and lost the ‘magic’ feeling, getting a bit nitpicky about details. Or maybe it wont be helpful at all because I am just straight up less-experienced than many others. Either way.

Handling was awesome, could feel all the bumps and vibrations through the steering wheel. It did not give me a sensation of weightlessness as some have described lotus’ past (though I have never driven another lotus except an Evora), but it did inspire confidence and I knew exactly where and how to position the car. Ate the turns like I couldn’t believe, I didn’t even come close to taking turns as quickly as the car could handle. A person (who for legal reasons definitely isn’t me) was doing double the speed limit around a longer sweeping, banked, uphill bend and it was MAYBE 60% of speed that I feel the car could carry through. The car is much more capable than I am.

Sports suspension handled bumps remarkably in my opinion, way better than my 2015 STi. Car felt planted and flat, very little body roll with sports suspension but enough to communicate with the vehicle. The goodyears felt better than I expected after some negative reviews, but there was a bit of understeer powering out of turns at the front. Not going to be an issue on the streets unless you are doing something seriously illegal, but I am still going to opt for the Michelins so I hopefully don’t experience any of that, minimal as it was in my experience.

The way the engine feels and the exhaust opens up after 5800-6000 rpms is really something you need to experience to understand. Videos and audio recordings don’t really do it justice. Does feel like the redline should be slightly higher, but the dealer hinted that eventually Lotus plans to come out with ‘aftermarket’ performance parts you can buy from them directly that don’t void warranty (possibly a 416/430 tune?). Did the drive in sport mode, and I definitely would keep it that way daily. The gurgles and revs are nice, and you want to hear that engine wind up over and over.

The power is a great amount (more than enough for a decent while) for me, enough to rip around and not so much I kill myself accidentally. I have a history of driving sub 350 hp cars though, so I could see someone else wanting more. I, however found the power to be the perfect amount for the road. On a track, I would probably be left wanting, in all honesty.

Transmission is not a smooth action at all, but it was a sort of heavy, solid, notchy feel. The shift from 4th to 5th is a bit unexpected, but once I got used to it there was no issue. Clutch throw is very long, but the friction zone itself is pretty short and close to the top of the throw. The clutch almost feels heavier at the top than it does for the rest, so at first it was a bit misleading, but I adjusted by the end of the drive. Throw length feels very good to me. Way, way better than not being able to shift your own gears at all. Shifter is in a super natural place for your arm/ hand.

Brakes are absolutely nuts and super touchy. No doubts it about stopping ability. Parking brake being automatic and hill assist threw me off a bit because I have never experience those before. The pedals on the car I drove (LHD) were offset to the right and extremely close together, as others have pointed out. Nerve-wracking at first, but becomes natural quickly. Good to wear narrower, flexible shoes if possible.

Some interesting noises were coming out of the back of the car at low speeds (I think it was the LSD whining… not a grinding noise but a mechanical noise). Not an issue, but something I wanted to prepare other people for.

Steering wheel did not feel goofy to me, which was one of my main concerns. Felt good in the hands and the shape being slightly rectangular was a non-issue. I adjusted to having the first digital tach I have ever experienced super quickly as well. As long as you aren’t so tall that you cant adjust the steering wheel to a proper height for you, the HUD was nice and responsive. Maybe ever so slightly more lag than an analog needle (my preference) but not enough to be a detriment.

Seats were very comfortable to me, a bit narrow at the edge with the legs and maybe a bit more side bolstering would have been good, but overall very supportive and comfortable. Could absolutely road trip in them, no question.

Visually, the car looks much wider in person, as others have said. Taking pictures seems to shrink it down and maybe make it look a bit less aggressive by diluting some of the car’s smaller body lines.

As a final thought, if you want an engaging, involving, communicative car that you could daily not like anything else out right now, this is perfect for you. If you want to beat people off the line or be the fastest lap around the track, this car will disappoint you for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions! Pictures to follow later on, but wanted to get this out there!

Last edited:

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I am 6 feet tall, but with a shorter torso and longer legs. Had plenty of head room. I might have adjusted the seat to go just a tiny bit lower if it was possible, but the angles of my legs, body never felt uncomfortable.
You buying one?

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You buying one?
I have had a deposit down since Spring 2022, and I had a smile on my face the whole test drive despite some of the little weird things. I am very, very likely to follow through with this purchase unless prices go up a ton. Enjoyed it more than the 981 I drove, but have never driven a 718. Going to see if I can test drive one, but I don't really like how they look to be honest. It would have to be significantly better than the Emira, not marginally, to sway me. As of now the next closest competitor after that would be buying a used 90's NSX and supercharging it. In short, 95% yes.

OP
Lotus64

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus Emira Test Drive

I had a 20-minute test drive, a bit of stop/ start, some hills and turns in the backroads. Background.... I am freshly 26 years old. Definitely one of the youngest ones on the forum here. I have driven an older Cayman, Evora, and a C8, these are the only other mid-engined cars I have driven, myself. History of cars I have owned/ modded is below. So while others may be more experienced, this may be helpful for someone who this may be their first major sports car, or maybe just a refreshing reminder for some of the people on here who have gotten maybe a tad spoiled by their own experiences and lost the ‘magic’ feeling, getting a bit nitpicky about details. Or maybe it wont be helpful at all because I am just straight up less-experienced than many others. Either way.

Handling was awesome, could feel all the bumps and vibrations through the steering wheel. It did not give me a sensation of weightlessness as some have described lotus’ past (though I have never driven another lotus except an Evora), but it did inspire confidence and I knew exactly where and how to position the car. Ate the turns like I couldn’t believe, I didn’t even come close to taking turns as quickly as the car could handle. A person (who for legal reasons definitely isn’t me) was doing double the speed limit around a longer sweeping, banked, uphill bend and it was MAYBE 60% of speed that I feel the car could carry through. The car is much more capable than I am.

Sports suspension handled bumps remarkably in my opinion, way better than my 2015 STi. Car felt planted and flat, very little body roll with sports suspension but enough to communicate with the vehicle. The goodyears felt better than I expected after some negative reviews, but there was a bit of understeer powering out of turns at the front. Not going to be an issue on the streets unless you are doing something seriously illegal, but I am still going to opt for the Michelins so I hopefully don’t experience any of that, minimal as it was in my experience.

The way the engine feels and the exhaust opens up after 5800-6000 rpms is really something you need to experience to understand. Videos and audio recordings don’t really do it justice. Does feel like the redline should be slightly higher, but the dealer hinted that eventually Lotus plans to come out with ‘aftermarket’ performance parts you can buy from them directly that don’t void warranty (possibly a 416/430 tune?). Did the drive in sport mode, and I definitely would keep it that way daily. The gurgles and revs are nice, and you want to hear that engine wind up over and over.

The power is a great amount (more than enough for a decent while) for me, enough to rip around and not so much I kill myself accidentally. I have a history of driving sub 350 hp cars though, so I could see someone else wanting more. I, however found the power to be the perfect amount for the road. On a track, I would probably be left wanting, in all honesty.

Transmission is not a smooth action at all, but it was a sort of heavy, solid, notchy feel. The shift from 4th to 5th is a bit unexpected, but once I got used to it there was no issue. Clutch throw is very long, but the friction zone itself is pretty short and close to the top of the throw. The clutch almost feels heavier at the top than it does for the rest, so at first it was a bit misleading, but I adjusted by the end of the drive. Throw length feels very good to me. Way, way better than not being able to shift your own gears at all. Shifter is in a super natural place for your arm/ hand.

Brakes are absolutely nuts and super touchy. No doubts it about stopping ability. Parking brake being automatic and hill assist threw me off a bit because I have never experience those before. The pedals on the car I drove (LHD) were offset to the right and extremely close together, as others have pointed out. Nerve-wracking at first, but becomes natural quickly. Good to wear narrower, flexible shoes if possible.

Some interesting noises were coming out of the back of the car at low speeds (I think it was the LSD whining… not a grinding noise but a mechanical noise). Not an issue, but something I wanted to prepare other people for.

Steering wheel did not feel goofy to me, which was one of my main concerns. Felt good in the hands and the shape being slightly rectangular was a non-issue. I adjusted to having the first digital tach I have ever experienced super quickly as well. As long as you aren’t so tall that you cant adjust the steering wheel to a proper height for you, the HUD was nice and responsive. Maybe ever so slightly more lag than an analog needle (my preference) but not enough to be a detriment.

Seats were very comfortable to me, a bit narrow at the edge with the legs and maybe a bit more side bolstering would have been good, but overall very supportive and comfortable. Could absolutely road trip in them, no question.

Visually, the car looks much wider in person, as others have said. Taking pictures seems to shrink it down and maybe make it look a bit less aggressive by diluting some of the car’s smaller body lines.

As a final thought, if you want an engaging, involving, communicative car that you could daily not like anything else out right now, this is perfect for you. If you want to beat people off the line or be the fastest lap around the track, this car will disappoint you for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions! Pictures to follow later on, but wanted to get this out there!

Experience or not, that was one of the most detailed, thoughtful, accurate reviews I've seen so far! It felt like you were describing my test drive. And you gave actual driving impressions and reviewed it as a driving enthusiast vs. numbers person. People like us understand the mission of the Emira. And I had a Mazdaspeed6 too. Such an underrated car! You got great taste brother! We're in for a treat. I'm so excited for the both of us!!

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Lotus Emira Test Drive

26 huh? Well kiddo, you wrote a very nice and informative review!! Owning an Emira at your age is quite a treat. Good for you and thanks for the great writeup..:)

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Experience or not, that was one of the most detailed, thoughtful, accurate reviews I've seen so far! It felt like you were describing my test drive. And you gave actual driving impressions and reviewed it as a driving enthusiast vs. numbers person. People like us understand the mission of the Emira. And I had a Mazdaspeed6 too. Such an underrated car! You got great taste brother! We're in for a treat. I'm so excited for the both of us!!
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! I have always been very passionate about driving, and I would love to keep improving on my skills throughout my life. My mom taught me on her 1990's 5-speed Accord station wagon on the old family farm in the fields when I was about 10 or 11, so credit goes to her! I do miss the speed6 a lot, was amazing in the winters when I lived in Erie, PA! I remember pulling out a stuck F-150 with it (no wonder the car didn't last forever in my hands...) but I will be much more careful than that with an Emira haha!

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
26 huh? Well kiddo, you wrote a very nice and informative review!! Owning an Emira at your age is quite a treat. Good for you and thanks for the great writeup..:)
Yes, I am very blessed to be in the position that I am in. I worked 4 jobs (about 110-120 hours per week) for about 2 years to pay off all my family / student debt right out of college. Partially because I had to due to unfortunate family circumstances, and partially to just get rid of the debt as fast as possible. Regardless, I was able to pay off everything by age 24, and now I am down to a single job; my career as an engineer. I am grateful that I was given the abilities to push through the long weeks, lack of sleep, and diet of rice and tuna. It is overused, but I truly have been blessed, and it has been a very unique opportunity and a massive turn-around.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As a follow-up to my test drive write-up above, here are some pictures that we took! I know we have seen a lot of the same pictures over and over, so I tried to mix in a couple that maybe show off how the light interacts with the body lines from different vantages that we don't typically see the car from. Obviously, mixed in with some typical angles of the car and some shots of the interior stitching, etc.
DSC08176.JPG
DSC08173.JPG
DSC08183.JPG
DSC08185.JPG
DSC08193_1.JPG
DSC08198.JPG
DSC08186.JPG