New Mazda Looks Nice

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not a fan at all. Way too smooth and curvy. Dated design in my eyes. Hard pass.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I like it. Reflects Mazdas different design language and a clear homage to the shape of the rx7. Fear it might be severely underwhelming performance-wise compared to other all electrics. Power train doesn’t make sense.

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I like it. Reflects Mazdas different design language and a clear homage to the shape of the rx7. Fear it might be severely underwhelming performance-wise compared to other all electrics. Power train doesn’t make sense.
Yeah, I can't see how using a rotary as a generator is going to provide a pleasing noise. It'll just be a constant buzz as there won't be any running up and down the rev range with speed...unless I'm missing something.

OP
B

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe so but i bet it will sound better. I had a 3rd gen RX7 so i have a softspot. Great overall sports car - hard to top back in 1993

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not a fan at all. Way too smooth and curvy. Dated design in my eyes. Hard pass.
Agreed, way too smooth, not enough edges or lines. It looks like one of those cheap knock-off 3D car models that you can buy online.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This angle looks great. But most of the rest are a little too cartoony.
mazda-iconic-sp-concept-exterior-rear-quarter.jpg

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe so but i bet it will sound better. I had a 3rd gen RX7 so i have a softspot. Great overall sports car - hard to top back in 1993

3rd gen rx7 was my favorite car growing up. If you remember the shape of that car, it was uniquely sculptural and beautiful in a way the other jdms were not. Think any Honda, Nissan, etc. it felt a little more Italian almost? It was different.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Saw this car in the flesh and it's gorgeous.

They also had the same color red NA Miata parked right at the entry to the zone to view this car. Seemed like a strong hint to me.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Saw this car in the flesh and it's gorgeous.

They also had the same color red NA Miata parked right at the entry to the zone to view this car. Seemed like a strong hint to me.
I dropped by the MOBILITY SHOW in Tokyo’s ‘Big Sight’ today Sunday Oct 29, 2023 and walked straight to the MAZDA ICONIC SP display.

This new Mazda concept model is absolutely stunning, and in my opinion there is no other car at the current show that comes close. It beautifully creates a new form from the best of the styling elements from the 1991/1992 RX-7 FD-3S that I owned in Montego Blue with a very early serial number just over 800. I drove my car in anger on Fuji Speedway circuit (even remember a spin-out in a corner).

I had a chance to have a chat with a slightly older (upper 50s), veteran Mazda staff. He confirmed to me that the weight target is 1400 kgs (batteries included) and also that the twin rotary engine will operate in an rpm range, and not just a single, fixed RPM. I was also told that the max power output target is 370 hp.

Mazda is carefully balancing this car regarding weight, power output, and range. The latter (range) is still unknown, and it will be one determining factor.

It will be exciting to see if this concept model will become an actual production car. It appears to have the potential to become a clear winner!

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I dropped by the MOBILITY SHOW in Tokyo’s ‘Big Sight’ today Sunday Oct 29, 2023 and walked straight to the MAZDA ICONIC SP display.

This new Mazda concept model is absolutely stunning, and in my opinion there is no other car at the current show that comes close. It beautifully creates a new form from the best of the styling elements from the 1991/1992 RX-7 FD-3S that I owned in Montego Blue with a very early serial number just over 800. I drove my car in anger on Fuji Speedway circuit (even remember a spin-out in a corner).

I had a chance to have a chat with a slightly older (upper 50s), veteran Mazda staff. He confirmed to me that the weight target is 1400 kgs (batteries included) and also that the twin rotary engine will operate in an rpm range, and not just a single, fixed RPM. I was also told that the max power output target is 370 hp.

Mazda is carefully balancing this car regarding weight, power output, and range. The latter (range) is still unknown, and it will be one determining factor.

It will be exciting to see if this concept model will become an actual production car. It appears to have the potential to become a clear winner!
Great pics, thanks! I take back what I said earlier, this car is indeed beautiful. :)

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
…also that the twin rotary engine will operate in an rpm range, and not just a single, fixed RPM. I was also told that the max power output target is 370 hp.
Oh awesome! Thanks for asking him! I’m very happy to have been wrong here!

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Overall, I sort of like it, but I think the shape is perhaps too 'smooth'?

Love the doors, side profile looks pretty good, rear is so-so, but front I just don't get, looks like a squinting fish with its tongue poking out 😝

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It has potential. I think by the times the bean counters and manufacturing group gets involved, the excessive curviness will be toned down. In the end it may look like the RX7 FD which is a good thing.
Those doors look very impractical for real world use...even though they are cool.

Finbarqs

Reaction score
3rd gen rx7 was my favorite car growing up. If you remember the shape of that car, it was uniquely sculptural and beautiful in a way the other jdms were not. Think any Honda, Nissan, etc. it felt a little more Italian almost? It was different.
The NSX felt Italian. The FD (especially the ‘99 spec) had its own design philosophy, and you cannot deny it’s beauty driving down the road.

This… I’ll have to see it in person. I’m not too keen on the Mazda logo in the mouth of the front. Looks a bit cartoony to me

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The NSX felt Italian. The FD (especially the ‘99 spec) had its own design philosophy, and you cannot deny it’s beauty driving down the road.

This… I’ll have to see it in person. I’m not too keen on the Mazda logo in the mouth of the front. Looks a bit cartoony to me
Couldn't agree more. The NSX borrowed heavily from the Ferrari 328, in particular the wedge nose and hood contour. The rear was a combination of influences, many of them also Italian, with cues taken from concepts developed by both ItalDesign (Giugiaro) and Pininfarina. The latter even did an initial design study for Honda called the HP-X that established some of the basic wedge design language.

73JPS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I like it.

I tend to think of Mazda as the Japanese spirit of Lotus. I’ve owned four FB RX7s and an RX8 over the years, and the Emira will be my 4th Lotus. I guess I kinda have a thing 😬…