• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Now I wonder if the i4 tested by EVO and published in late September had the revised gearbox software with eliminated delays? It seems this review avoids talking about any “shifting delay”, which is why I am wondering if the content of this review really is genuine (even if it supports the i4).

No, the test drive for the evo review was done at the same time as the others. The evo article published on the web is the same as the one in the print magazine, just delayed in getting onto the web. Looking back towards the early part of this thread the subscriber copy of the magazine landed just in advance of the video reviews coming out.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I want to be optimistic with regard to the transmission, but I don't know what to believe at this point.

Possibility 1: They didn't fix anything and there is just a misunderstanding of some sort. To me, this is the most likely scenario because of my cynicism.
Possibility 2: They actually did fix something, so now the plot thickens...
Possibility 2a: The issue was fixed by Lotus alone - whatever translation layer they had was adding a delay to the communications with the Mercedes ECU/TCU. Or maybe Lotus didn't send the command to put the transmission into Sport+/Track mode at the most aggressive drive mode settings. This does not speak well of Lotus' own R&D and testing capabilities if they failed to optimize this prior to arranging for reviews.
Possibility 2b: The issue was inside the Mercedes ECU/TCU and was fixed by Lotus and Mercedes working together, resulting in a different program for the Mercedes ECU/TCU. While possible, I find this to be the least likely scenario.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I want to be optimistic with regard to the transmission, but I don't know what to believe at this point.

Possibility 1: They didn't fix anything and there is just a misunderstanding of some sort. To me, this is the most likely scenario because of my cynicism.
Possibility 2: They actually did fix something, so now the plot thickens...
Possibility 2a: The issue was fixed by Lotus alone - whatever translation layer they had was adding a delay to the communications with the Mercedes ECU/TCU. Or maybe Lotus didn't send the command to put the transmission into Sport+/Track mode at the most aggressive drive mode settings. This does not speak well of Lotus' own R&D and testing capabilities if they failed to optimize this prior to arranging for reviews.
Possibility 2b: The issue was inside the Mercedes ECU/TCU and was fixed by Lotus and Mercedes working together, resulting in a different program for the Mercedes ECU/TCU. While possible, I find this to be the least likely scenario.
It also depends on what shifting delay issues they are talking about having fixed. There are two different things that have been mentioned in reviews with regards to this.
  1. The one people are picking up most on - the delay from paddle pull to actual shift, which as I've said elsewhere is also evident on A45S videos so not solely an Emira 'feature'.
  2. The lag with respect to the display where the revs/shift indicator didn't seem to keep up with acceleration that led to bouncing off the rev limiter when accelerating rapidly.
I think it could well be that it is this second one that they've resolved.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It also depends on what shifting delay issues they are talking about having fixed. There are two different things that have been mentioned in reviews with regards to this.
  1. The one people are picking up most on - the delay from paddle pull to actual shift, which as I've said elsewhere is also evident on A45S videos so not solely an Emira 'feature'.
  2. The lag with respect to the display where the revs/shift indicator didn't seem to keep up with acceleration that led to bouncing off the rev limiter when accelerating rapidly.
I think it could well be that it is this second one that they've resolved.

I don't think #1 is an issue.
I think they're fixing #2 and agree with you there.

One item that isn't listed and mentioned by a few reviewers is the margin for safety in down shifts, I'm not sure if they're going to tighten that up or not. A couple reviewers mentioned that if you're within 1K rpm of redline, it won't execute a downshift, that's very conservative.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know how much of the interior sound is simulated but it sounded pretty good to me. One gripe about lazy downshifts but nothing too bad. Overall, very positive!

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi Andy H

It has been mentioned in various articles and posts that the AMG M139 engine both in Mercedes and the Lotus application do have an OPF filter. It is an integral part of the design.

I consider it to be confirmed that none of the interior sound of the Emira i4 with AMG M139 engine is simulated. I pursued this possibility at an early stage (especially after hearing interior sound, via video, of an i4 racing up the hill at 2023 Goodwood), but various responses from drivers that have experience with the i4 car signaled that this is most likely not the case.

Dominating factors of its sound is the air intake (external), and also the air blowing (for cooling) fan in the engine compartment located right behind the driver/passenger (this will depend if it is a LHD or RHD version according to the market where the car is sold).

Like most of us; I haven’t heard the i4 “live”, but everything I have heard through various videos indicates what I would describe as a slightly “electronic aural character”, especially when combined with the rapid DCT shifts.

Others may have a different description of its sound than mine 🤣🤣🤣

I am eagerly awaiting my own First Edition i4 sooner or later (most likely the latter👀😱🙀)

Last edited:

valentinewang

Reaction score
Chinese version i4 simply test
0-100/km 4s
100-0 36.4m
Original Factory with comfortable suspension and eagle F1 tire

Original video link by bilibili:
【2.0T的路特斯Emira是中置后驱版的A45S么?-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/FhquzFE

Attachments

• IMG_7921.png
    IMG_7921.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7923.png
    IMG_7923.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 54

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Chinese version i4 simply test
0-100/km 4s
100-0 36.4m
Original Factory with comfortable suspension and eagle F1 tire

Original video link by bilibili:
【2.0T的路特斯Emira是中置后驱版的A45S么?-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/FhquzFE
Notes from the video after they started driving, and I'm paraphrasing:
* Guy: This 4 cylinder can sound pretty good! Definitely better than the A45S.
* Guy: Hmm, this transmission still has not returned to normal cruising shifting patterns, I think I need to drop below 2k RPM for it to do that...
* Guy: Compared to the 718 2.5T and beggars-edition 911, which one is more attention-getting or do you like better? Gal: Well, firstly we have to eliminate the 718, because from afar, appearances matter.
* Gal: I feel that this car's noise isolation is very good. Guy: Yes, much better than the 718.
* Guy: You have to really push the accelerator to the max for this car to become powerful and power is not abundant. Even though both this and the V6 are 405HP, the V6's power lasts longer. Gal: Yes, this car can be explosive but lacks endurance.
* Gal: The chassis doesn't feel that hard. Guy: Yea, it's initially very compliant, and then it firms up with great support mid-travel.

There was a track test but conditions were not optimal and he thinks the car could be another 1.5 seconds faster (in the video comments).

Then they wondered about the car's socializing and city life capabilities and went to do some street driving. Paraphrasing again:
* Guy: At low turning angles, the steering wheel has almost no centering force. I can't accept this.
* Guy: The DCT is jerky, even in normal cruising mode. It's even worse in Sport and Track mode - never use these driving modes for normal day-to-day driving, don't even think about it. But even in normal cruising, it's a little jerky.
* Guy: You can hear the turbo blow-off sound, like a snake hissing. But, if you select the 3.5 V6, you can have the hellcat-like sound, and that is more exhilarating.

Final summary: He still doesn't like the steering's lack of centering feel. Even though there won't be a next generation or even a mid-model refresh, he still hopes that Lotus can improve this aspect of the car. This car is a pure sports car and is a better choice as a daily driver compared to the V6.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
New I4 review out:

Car landed with the journalist at the end of November (link), in summary he preferred it to the V6 but would still go with a Cayman GTS (he has the NA flat 6 trumping the turbo 4pot)