Motortrend Review

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thank you! I've added it to the review index as well.

Heaps of Magma photos in this one too!

Reactions: DrD

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I just read it and thought it quite good. The reviewer understands what the Emira was designed for, and says it hits the target quite well.

The article also has some interesting information I've not seen before. He says the car they received was basically a production car, with the exception of seat padding and infotainment software.

"Our Magma Red First Edition is one of the last preproduction Emiras off the new assembly line at Hethel, in the east of England, where Lotus has built road cars since 1966. It's pretty much production-spec apart from the seats, which will have more padding and tighter-fitting leather when customer deliveries start, and the infotainment system graphics, the design of which was being finalized as we arrived."

This was new insofar as to what was done and why (emphasis is mine):

"The V6 First Edition is powered by the same Toyota-sourced 3.5-liter supercharged V-6 and six-speed manual transmission as used in the Evora, though the peak power output has been dialed back from 416 hp to 400 to meet tougher emissions."

It also has this bit of info:

"In third gear, the manual Emira pulls cleanly from 15 mph—1,000 rpm—all the way to 100 mph before hitting the 6,750-rpm rev limiter."

That's the first time I've seen that. Now I can only imagine the weeping and wailing that's about to ensue for not only the loss of 16 hp, but now 50 rpm! Order cancellations should begin at any moment which will be good news for those that weren't worried about those things and want their car earlier, or maybe even move up the list and be able to even get an FE.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
^ it’s just expectations were set high and with each review, things seem to have been dumbed down. Here’s to hoping production cars are better. Haha

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think both Car&Driver and Road&Track reviews also mentioned 6750rpm. Maybe only the UK reviewers got the extra 50rpm. :D

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This was new insofar as to what was done and why (emphasis is mine):

"The V6 First Edition is powered by the same Toyota-sourced 3.5-liter supercharged V-6 and six-speed manual transmission as used in the Evora, though the peak power output has been dialed back from 416 hp to 400 to meet tougher emissions."
I've mentioned that on here before when people have asked why it's lower than the outgoing Evora. It's a world car and has to meet global regulations and they won't do regional variations. The US Evora GT 416hp tune can't be used globally.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Decent review. The transmission comments continue to worry me.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It would have been more useful to compare the gear shift and clutch weight to the Evora rather than the Cayman. ie. is it simply no better than an Evora in which case it's perfectly workable but just not as clean as the Caymans shift.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wish one of the magazines compared the Emira to an Evora. It will happen, but not before customers get cars in their hands.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
"In third gear, the manual Emira pulls cleanly from 15 mph—1,000 rpm—all the way to 100 mph before hitting the 6,750-rpm rev limiter."

I thought the limiter (in sports and track mode) was meant to be 7,000 rpm

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I thought the limiter (in sports and track mode) was meant to be 7,000 rpm
So did I, which was why I was surprised to see them say that. Like several things with this car, I guess we're not going to actually know what is or isn't until final production cars come off the line.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I am not a driver that likes to go much past 6/6500 if I am honest, but like having a gym at the hotel, its nice to know its there! I would love a red line at 8000, but I doubt I would ever get there.
However, my point is, can someone on here not speak to one of these companies who CHIPs cars, or better still, someone who has previously done the Evora.
It would seem to me a VERY simple job to override the Lotus set up and get you back to the 7000 or more? and certainly get the extra 16 race horses or more....

cant see that costing more than 300 or so, and wont be an issue until MOT time, and probably not even then....

Im no expert in such chipping matters, or indeed in any matters, but it would seem logical.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I am not a driver that likes to go much past 6/6500 if I am honest, but like having a gym at the hotel, its nice to know its there! I would love a red line at 8000, but I doubt I would ever get there.
However, my point is, can someone on here not speak to one of these companies who CHIPs cars, or better still, someone who has previously done the Evora.
It would seem to me a VERY simple job to override the Lotus set up and get you back to the 7000 or more? and certainly get the extra 16 race horses or more....

cant see that costing more than 300 or so, and wont be an issue until MOT time, and probably not even then....

Im no expert in such chipping matters, or indeed in any matters, but it would seem logical.
I think the issue is we really shouldn't have to be tweaking this car aftermarket and spending additional money and voiding warranty just to get what we have be led to believe we were getting from the off. And I know the messaging has been mixed from Lotus but if someone flicks between promising you a free drink and a free bar you are going to be disappointed when you actually recieve just the one pint of San Miguel

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I think the issue is we really shouldn't have to be tweaking this car aftermarket and spending additional money and voiding warranty just to get what we have be led to believe we were getting from the off. And I know the messaging has been mixed from Lotus but if someone flicks between promising you a free drink and a free bar you are going to be disappointed when you actually recieve just the one pint of San Miguel
correct, but again, this engine is getting on and like the original honda civic engine the Ariel Atom and Nomad use, its past its best in terms of being able to get inside emissions figures. It would seem Lotus made some erroneous calculations and have backtracked on the 416/7000 in order to comply with emissions and although clumsy, it is what it is and for 300 pounds, and 16 HP, I think we would be very unlucky if warranty got voided.... legally it could be I am sure, but....
But yes you are right.... it shouldnt have to be done

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
correct, but again, this engine is getting on and like the original honda civic engine the Ariel Atom and Nomad use, its past its best in terms of being able to get inside emissions figures. It would seem Lotus made some erroneous calculations and have backtracked on the 416/7000 in order to comply with emissions and although clumsy, it is what it is and for 300 pounds, and 16 HP, I think we would be very unlucky if warranty got voided.... legally it could be I am sure, but....
But yes you are right.... it shouldnt have to be done
I very much doubt emissions are at fault here, but I am happy to be proved wrong

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'll concede that a part of me is tad upset that the car does not have the outgoing power but I thought my old Golf R and RS3 were too fast with power and more weight and only the former was able to use it all.

I come back to NOT looking at the Emira for the little details that make you wonder but look at it as, what will be, for the vast majority of us, an utterly fantastic car and a stone cold bargain.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
As a 16 year old, I had a Ford Probe GT (same as Mazda 626) that came with a 2.5L V6. This was a 1993 model, in a car that cost just over $23k US new, and it redlined at 7,000.