i4 Emira vs Mercedes Cla 45 0-60mph

TurboTambo

Reaction score
I think everyone is banking on this (being able to tune the i4 for big power). That's the draw for the i4. Some will be willing to sacrifice a pedal and justify paying $80-100k for a 4 cylinder Emira because there's big potential.

That being said, I do think heat management will be an issue. The i4 release was delayed for quite some time, presumably due to Lotus trying to figure out how to properly manage the heat from that giant snail in their mid-engine setup.
There will definitely be a solution. Lotus probably struggled as this solution involved money!

How does the old Ferrari F40 with its twin turbo's go with heat issues? (This is actually a question as i couldn't find the answer with a quick google).

My draw was the 4 cylinder. This is Lotus to me. And if your going to have a 4 cylinder, may as well make it the best one available.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Boy I really want a V6 manual Emira, but if 0-60 is 3.9, that's very tempting.
I've seen mention of 3.9s being possible for the Chinese i4 and lynchy73 mentions 4s earlier in this thread, so a stock non-China i4 is unlikely to be breaking the 4s barrier with its 40hp deficit.
I think everyone is banking on this (being able to tune the i4 for big power). That's the draw for the i4. Some will be willing to sacrifice a pedal and justify paying $80-100k for a 4 cylinder Emira because there's big potential.

That being said, I do think heat management will be an issue. The i4 release was delayed for quite some time, presumably due to Lotus trying to figure out how to properly manage the heat from that giant snail in their mid-engine setup.
Having been able to open up my i4 after running it in I am more than happy with the power output of the car. Yes there is potential there for tuning if heat management allows, 400hp at the very least should be straightforward seeing as that is what the Chinese i4s output.

However, as I'm not planning on tracking the car it just doesn't seem necessary for my use at this time. I really do think the power output of the car is in a sweet spot for the road. Who knows, maybe that feeling will change in the future, but it definitely won't be a concern to me whilst the car is still under warranty.

OP
E

Emira Fan

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

PsymonR have you had an opportunity to try launch control? if so, any wheels spin or bogging, do the shifts crack off quickly or do you feel some delay.?​

Trying to figure out how the CLA 45 is able to achieve 3.7s to 60 with the same engine and DTC (Emira has a better Power weight Ratio); is there a software issue with the DTC...​

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

PsymonR have you had an opportunity to try launch control? if so, any wheels spin or bogging, do the shifts crack off quickly or do you feel some delay.?​

Trying to figure out how the CLA 45 is able to achieve 3.7s to 60 with the same engine and DTC (Emira has a better Power weight Ratio); is there a software issue with the DTC...​

No, I've not tried launch control, but if accelerating hard from a slow speed there is certainly nothing sluggish about the automatic gear changes which are pretty instantaneous. Overall I've no issue with the DCT software from the driving I've done with it, doesn't feel any different to any previous DCT cars I've driven (A35 being the most recent), be that in auto or manual mode.

One thing about the DCT that could potentially account for differences in performance aside from software is if there is any difference in gear ratios between the i4 Emira and the CLA45 as that'd also have an impact.

gdotp

Reaction score
No, I've not tried launch control, but if accelerating hard from a slow speed there is certainly nothing sluggish about the automatic gear changes which are pretty instantaneous. Overall I've no issue with the DCT software from the driving I've done with it, doesn't feel any different to any previous DCT cars I've driven (A35 being the most recent), be that in auto or manual mode.

One thing about the DCT that could potentially account for differences in performance aside from software is if there is any difference in gear ratios between the i4 Emira and the CLA45 as that'd also have an impact.
I’d agree with this. Mine has worn in now so I’ve been able to wind it up a bit. The dct charge is fine in Automatic mode and certainly quicker than a manual gearbox. When in manual I’ve noticed it won’t let you change unless it wants to, this typically isn’t an issue and the only time I’ve found it won’t is on low speed first gear starts into second, this I typically get round by using the shifter rather than paddles.

The gearbox is perhaps faster than my previous m4 overall so all good.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Now we have more people with I4 Emira, I’m curious if anyone has a good technique to get quickly off the line, but not Launch Mode aggressive? It can be rather gentle off the line even with large throttle inputs I’ve found.

Launch mode requires a firm press of the brake and you need to push the throttle to the kick down switch and then it times out after 3 seconds. However it’s not something I’d want to use on a regular basis.

I might have a play with holding the car on the brake with some gas and see if I can get off the well, without feeling like I’m breaking something.

My take is this. The I4 Emira can hit its quoted acceleration figures, or maybe slightly better, consistently and without much effort. That is not the case for the V6 MT.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My guess is launch mode is cutting power at launch to avoid wheel spin.
Launch mode is fine, it hits hard. It’s when you don’t use launch mode that the power delivery is a bit soft.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The I4 needs an aggressive launch to get off the line quickly . Even with large throttle inputs, there will be turbo lag as the turbo hasn't gotten a chance to build boost at launch as it would with launch control or holding the brake and gas.

Dirk Wainer

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just reading this C&D road test.
[https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33925576/2020-mercedes-amg-cla45-4matic-by-the-numbers/]

[our 3743-pound test car posted roughly the same performance results of the last CLA45 we tested: a launch-control-enabled 3.7-second 60-mph time, ]

The 2020 CLA45 is boosted to 30.1 psi and puts out 382 hp - 350 lb-ft with the new 8 speed DTC. Wondering if the early i4 Emiras had an issue with the DCT that limited its performance or couldn't engage LC (when auto mags reviewed in 2023 and reported 4.5s 0-60).

CLA is almost 600 heavy with only 22 more hp. The Power to weight ratio is much more favorable on the Emira. Yes, the CLA has AWD; however, the heavily rear biassed weight distribution and turbo tag should keep the Emria from its spinning wheels. Aside the CLAs AWD probably adds efficiency loss and has more cross sectional area, more overall drag.
Wouldn't you expect the 360 hp Emria to atleast be on par with the CLAs 0-60, what I'm I missing?
How is it the Emira that far off from CLA?
Does anyone with an i4 Emira have a Draggy performance meeter to run a test?
I have had a race with an 45s and it was pretty much line ball until 60km. The Emira got ahead as the speed went up. Caviate, I drive the Emira i4 from China, which has a more powerful motor - 400hp and 480nm of torque.