Anyone else surprised by the 0-60 times between the V6 & I4?

Emira2222

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Since the very beginning, I've always understood that the Toyota-sourced V6 was going to have ~400HP (298kw) and the AMG-sourced I4 was going to have ~360HP (268kw) and based on the updates on the website, that is still the case. Lotus has always noted that the 0-60 times will be under 4.5sec. I always assumed that the V6 would produce the best 0-60 results, considering the higher HP and the option to have automatic. I guess that I was a bit naïve to think that the higher HP version would produce the better 0-60 times, compared to the I4 with the DCT. Well, I guess I was wrong! That's what I get for "ass"uming.

Is anyone else shocked by this... or did I just underestimate the awesomeness of the I4 with DCT?

All things considered, I will likely still stick with the manual V6... But, it did make me second guess it (for a second).

1647471913787.png

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Faster gears changes + equal / slightly more torque = faster to 60

Pretty normal - BMWs are often 0.2secs faster to 60 with DCT over a manual with identical engines.

Reactions: Liz

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Many of us assumed that the i4 will be fast if not faster than the V6.

DCT boxes are lightning quick which makes a difference in acceleration times. If we coupled the V6 to a DCT we would see quite an improvement in times.

The numbers quoted here are 0-62mph (0-100kmh). 0-60 are likely to be 0.2-0.3s faster.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think that the numbers also prove that the I4 turbo is under rated for marketing purposes.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm not surprised that a bigger torque curve, less weight, and DCT will be quicker. My daily driver sedan does 0-60 in 3.1, even in the rain. I'm not buying this car for the acceleration. EV's won that game a long time ago.

Ronin

Reaction score
I'm not surprised that a bigger torque curve, less weight, and DCT will be quicker. My daily driver sedan does 0-60 in 3.1, even in the rain. I'm not buying this car for the acceleration. EV's won that game a long time ago.
Model 3 owner here. I can attest to that. Not interested in 0 to 60 times but more for a car that has a soul and puts a smile on my face. For me, the Tesla is a great practical car but not a "fun" car...for me anyway.

Last edited:

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Since the very beginning, I've always understood that the Toyota-sourced V6 was going to have ~400HP (298kw) and the AMG-sourced I4 was going to have ~360HP (268kw) and based on the updates on the website, that is still the case. Lotus has always noted that the 0-60 times will be under 4.5sec. I always assumed that the V6 would produce the best 0-60 results, considering the higher HP and the option to have automatic. I guess that I was a bit naïve to think that the higher HP version would produce the better 0-60 times, compared to the I4 with the DCT. Well, I guess I was wrong! That's what I get for "ass"uming.

Is anyone else shocked by this... or did I just underestimate the awesomeness of the I4 with DCT?

All things considered, I will likely still stick with the manual V6... But, it did make me second guess it (for a second).

View attachment 3995
Out of curiosity, does it seem like they’re taking a much bigger profit margin on the V6? Roughly 10 grand less in Canada for the i4. Can’t imagine a Camry engine on it’s own costs Lotus 10K.

I think from everything they’ve said the i4 would be the faster track car. I think this shows the difference lightness makes vs. 10% less HP. Higher top speed with the extra HP but nobody is flooring it for that long and going that speed unless you’re using it on a drag strip or the autobahn. I still plan on going V6 manual for the fun factor but will be very interesting to hear how the i4 performs and sounds, anyone think there will be any content on the i4 by summer? Even something like the Harry’s video.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Model 3 owner here. I am attest to that. Not interested in 0 to 60 times but more for a car that has a soul and puts a smile on my face. For me, the Tesla is a great practical car but not a "fun" car...for me anyway.
Agreed- esp if you (or I) live in a mega city. I can literally keep up with any Ferrari by the next stop light

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Not surprised at all. The M139 has a very fat torque curve like most turbo MB 4-cylinder engines. The HP rating is a bit misleading as the torque output is programmed to drop off into the higher RPMs. Add onto this the fact that MB typically conservatively rates their engines. And add on to this the fact that Lotus may be further under-listing the HP for marketing reasons...

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m not at all surprised by this. The AMG shift speed 7g had sub 100ms up shifts and I’m guessing the 8 speed variant is probably improved upon. Combine that with loads of torque down even at 2500rpm and you’ve got yourself a very quickly accelerating car from a stop.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the m139 variant also put down nearly 360hp — at the wheel.

That being said I’m still buying a v6 because I prefer the linear power delivery and sound.

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My connected pal at Hethel let slip that the I4 is good for 500BHP and that it has been reigned back to 400BHP for FE issues, also the I4 drive train is good for 500 BHP whereas the Toyota drive train is pretty near its limits at 400 BHP

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The i4 is the quicker car, the V6 more profitable.

The #Forthedrivers thing to have done would be to offer:

V6 Manual 400BHP

V6 Auto 400BHP
I4 Auto 400BHP

I4 Auto 360BHp

All these models already exist today so no additional work required. But I presume they wouldn’t have many takers for the V6 auto - an older, heavier, slower car so…they went for the bottom line.

If you peel back the fancy veneer and take a critical look at most of the decisions made thus far, this is what it’s mostly been about.

#ForTheBottomLine

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
P.S. I’m willing to bet the i4, when released will actually have 400BHP.

Going to have a chat with my dealer and look at options to switch to the i4. Makes little sense to pay more for the worse car (I want an auto).

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
P.S. I’m willing to bet the i4, when released will actually have 400BHP.

Going to have a chat with my dealer and look at options to switch to the i4. Makes little sense to pay more for the worse car (I want an auto).
With such a head of steam I would imagine opted to drop to a later car to free up your FE slot would be a formality

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ok i have a 2015 i4 amg it's 4.9 with awd and a extra 400 lbs so not surprised . But lotus is using the old engine the new one is not 355 it's 417 . hmm evora v6 417 so why the detune . Maybe after all us test drivers they will drop the 417 i4 in a couple years

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
ok i have a 2015 i4 amg it's 4.9 with awd and a extra 400 lbs so not surprised . But lotus is using the old engine the new one is not 355 it's 417 . hmm evora v6 417 so why the detune . Maybe after all us test drivers they will drop the 417 i4 in a couple years
They’re using the m139 — it’s just been detuned. I’m guessing packaging and cooling constraints.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
One other point is that the V6 already has an ECU Map to 450hp.
Well it's the Evora 410 with manual trans so same engine and transmission.

I also prefer a supercharger I'd expect performance to be better than the i4 in the mid range

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The i4 isn't really faster than the V6, nor does it have more torque. If you get the Automatic on the V6, it also has 430 NM and 4.2 sec 0-60, so they are exactly the same. However the DCT has 8 gears and therefore shorter gears which leads to more wheel torque. It probably has to shift twice to reach 60, but that doesn't really matter considering the shift times. And the i4 Emira is around 30 kilos lighter of course. What's really interesting now is how they both sound, what happens above 60 and which one subjectively feels faster.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
0-60 times don't matter to me. My M2 Competition has a published 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds, but when I'm slowly sipping on my iced coffee, I tend to shift really slow. Which is quite often.

(I mean, I really just can't be bothered being all 2fast and 2furious every time I go for a drive, you know?)

I think I actually have the only M2 Competition in the world with 0-60 times of 3-4 minutes in between delicious sips of iced coffee. 🙏

I reckon I will also have a 3-4 minute 0-60 Emira 6MT.

Cheers, everyone. Enjoy that coffee and forget about 0-60 times.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Which will be the most fun to drive though ? and I take it the V6 will definitely sound the best. Are any V6 people thinking of changing ?