Real 0-60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just don't understand why everyone is so hung up on 0-60 - when do you EVER do that... and if drag racing from the lights is your thing, then a Lotus isn't for you... This thing goes down a British B road (or Canyon road) better than most and some '0-60' cars wouldn't see which way it went down a bumpy country road...

Move along..... ;)

Italiabrain

Reaction score
Not defending OP here, but some of these defenses of the car are a bit ridiculous. No one thinks this is going to compete with a performance EV, be the stoplight king, or even put up a great quarter mile...

BUT there's still plenty to be disappointed about in the performance space. Lotus' claimed 0-60 being unrealistic is absolutely among them. Defending the car as something you wouldn't even dare launch from a standstill, or purely a momentum car (track times aren't so hot either) are ridiculous.

Again, not defending the "not" trolling... but holy rose colored glasses on the other side. Are we forgetting they were still saying 416hp at Goodwood when they opened deposits? That redline dropped? Or that most other manufacturers go the other direction and under-rate HP, torque, and 0-60 times? That it hasn't even gotten US emissions approval at 400hp and could drop further across the pond?

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not defending OP here, but some of these defenses of the car are a bit ridiculous. No one thinks this is going to compete with a performance EV, be the stoplight king, or even put up a great quarter mile...

BUT there's still plenty to be disappointed about in the performance space. Lotus' claimed 0-60 being unrealistic is absolutely among them. Defending the car as something you wouldn't even dare launch from a standstill, or purely a momentum car (track times aren't so hot either) are ridiculous.

Again, not defending the "not" trolling... but holy rose colored glasses on the other side. Are we forgetting they were still saying 416hp at Goodwood when they opened deposits? That redline dropped? Or that most other manufacturers go the other direction and under-rate HP, torque, and 0-60 times? That it hasn't even gotten US emissions approval at 400hp and could drop further across the pond?
I don't think anyone is afraid to launch their Emira for fear of it breaking, more that they want to take care of it and not abuse it, especially this early on. But the rest of what you said resonates... I feel let down (starting to almost feel betrayed) by almost every communication we have gotten from Lotus. I loved my test drive, even slightly more than the GTS and GT4 I tested, but I just don't know if it is worth all the potential issues and lack of trust in corporate to address them. Truly, any other car brand doing this I would be making fun of. So for me, it isn't rose-colored glasses, just trying to hold on to hope by defending the things I do love about the car to compensate for the awful experience thus far. And while 0-60 was maybe slightly exaggerated, and I do mean slightly, I think it is a misplaced to attack the car... Lord knows at this point there is plenty of other ammo 🙃

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

You can listen to Internet heresay if you like but there's plenty of uk owners now, me included with a large performance car background , 45 cars, ferrari, AMG, Mcar, 15 of them porsches, last one gt4, telling you there littleralll nothing to be disappointed in with the performance, its bang on point for its price and target.

Just like all those other little things that had pages and pages devoted to them pre launch that turned out to be complete non issues

Caveat - The American culture that seems to lean way more to ¼mile times than the UK may effect how the car is viewed in the US

Last edited:

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think flooring it will likely end up with significant wheel spin, I have pulled out of a junction and accidentally spun the wheels

0 to 60 numbers are hard to replicate, but should give a good indication of general pulling power, so people expect the car to perform a certain way based on these reported figures. I can’t believe it would be 6 secs, I have not timed mine yet but expect sub 5 secs fairly easily in the Auto V6. If the OP was trying to push the car in tour mode then it will feel sluggish, the other modes are very different

Italiabrain

Reaction score
You can listen to Internet heresay if you like but there's plenty of uk owners now, me included with a large performance car background , 45 cars, ferrari, AMG, Mcar, 15 of them porsches, last one gt4, telling you there littleralll nothing to be disappointed in with the performance, its bang on point for its price and target.

Just like all those other little things that had pages and pages devoted to them pre launch that turned out to be complete non issues

Caveat - The American culture that seems to lean way more to ¼mile times than the UK may effect how the car is viewed in the US
Who said anything about heresay? I've driven the car and found the acceleration and power delivery lacking. It's not a non-issue. It's an extreme lack of alternatives with any interest.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well keep in mind we US buyers are a little frosty because while Lotus has been holding our money for 2 years now, we're left holding our ***ks while watching cars get delivered all over Europe. Lotus blames this entirely on US govt approval but I remain skeptical that process couldn't have been started earlier and done more smoothly.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Who said anything about heresay? I've driven the car and found the acceleration and power delivery lacking. It's not a non-issue. It's an extreme lack of alternatives with any interest.
30min you say, I've done 1500mls Inc various super car runs buy.... 🤷🏻

In which case you'd also find a GT4 on road performance disappointing. Different market I guess with cheap big bhp vetts and mustangs etc available to you.

If you're saying there's an extreme lack of alternatives though surely that's like saying it's the best car available in its class? Or have I read that wrong?

I still don't see as there's anything wrong with its performance for what its intended, but what it's intended for might not be for everyone

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
After driving the Emira, I canceled my order.
0-60 is not 4.3" as advertised.
Its at 6 seconds. The car is extremely slow. The reason Lotus is not allowing 0-60 tests.
People are dissapointed thinking 4.3" but in reality its 6.0".
There are a couple of 0-60s on youtube performed by racing drivers who had to try multiple times because they were getting 6 seconds times.
A golf gti can smoke that toyota camry!
I am not trolling here. I was going to buy one and I feel fooled giving a deposit Lotus made money from the interest, believing in false specs.
If you want one, try to drive it first. The supercharger feeling is non existing. Its like a heavy v6 sedan...
Please change username to @chupaculo

Foxy87

Reaction score
What utter nonsense. Emira feels plenty quick, pulls hard in first and second and the supercharger is very noticable. The only dissappointing thing about the Emira is its tracktimes, which - if you look at it objectively - doesnt matter for road driving (still bugs me though🤦‍♂️)

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
What utter nonsense. Emira feels plenty quick, pulls hard in first and second and the supercharger is very noticable. The only dissappointing thing about the Emira is its tracktimes, which - if you look at it objectively - doesnt matter for road driving (still bugs me though🤦‍♂️)
It's certainly not something I've seen come up on UK forums, Facebook pages etc now quite a few uk owners have their cars.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
When I test drove the Emira it took 8.1 seconds 0 to 60
I’m wondering if that’s because I started in 5 gear.
Seriously enough already don’t buy the damn car if 0 - 60 is the most important thing for you.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks for the heads-up, OP. I'll be sure to cancel my order first thing tomorrow morning.

🥱

ino

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
6sec. for 0-60?
Which means Emira is more safer car to me now!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Emira is not 6 sec 0-60. It may not be the fastest at 4.5, but it's the prettiest.

Italiabrain

Reaction score
30min you say, I've done 1500mls Inc various super car runs buy.... 🤷🏻

In which case you'd also find a GT4 on road performance disappointing. Different market I guess with cheap big bhp vetts and mustangs etc available to you.

I still don't see as there's anything wrong with its performance for what its intended, but what it's intended for might not be for everyone
This is my least favorite trope on the entire forum. Implying someone else doesn't have a valid opinion because they either don't have enough seat time, don't "understand" the car, or the car "isn't for them". It's thinly veiled ad hominem at best.

If you're saying there's an extreme lack of alternatives though surely that's like saying it's the best car available in its class? Or have I read that wrong?

There's an extreme lack of anything new being made with a manual at all. If you include any kind of semi-exotic engine layout it's a class of 2. If you include at MSRP or built to order without a prior relationship its a class of 1. Do you really think that makes all criticism of Lotus and the car invalid?

But yes I'd happily buy a GT3 instead if anyone would sell me one to my spec.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is my least favorite trope on the entire forum. Implying someone else doesn't have a valid opinion because they either don't have enough seat time, don't "understand" the car, or the car "isn't for them". It's thinly veiled ad hominem at best.

There's an extreme lack of anything new being made with a manual at all. If you include any kind of semi-exotic engine layout it's a class of 2. If you include at MSRP or built to order without a prior relationship its a class of 1. Do you really think that makes all criticism of Lotus and the car invalid?

But yes I'd happily buy a GT3 instead if anyone would sell me one to my spec.
You're point is valid just as mine is, I was merely pointing out my points of reference are likely to be far more varied than yours. If I think back to my opinion of the car after my first 60min test drive and after 1500mls of mixed scenario driving with many other varied performance cars it's far higher now.

As I mentioned in the proceeding post yours is not a common opinion, (at least judging by other forums and groups,) amongst uk owners that have their cars. Many of whom also have much more powerful and exotic cars in thier ownership past and present.

Well yes I kinda does reduce any validity to the criticism if its a class of one and there's nothing to directly compare it to 🤷🏻

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The advertised 0-60 of 4.3 is exactly accurate if multiple reports have confirmed 4.4-4.5. Can't wait for the uproar when C&D achieves 4.0.

The Emira has no peer on the market and as a result the haters are lashing out to pacify and justify themselves. You're doing something right when haters can't get you out off of their minds.

0-60 will feel like 6 seconds to people who can't drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.