Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Harry, Smoking Tire and Pistonheads have said they've driven the cars, written reviews but are under embargo by Lotus until 8 August. I think others have mentioned it too.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Harry, Smoking Tire and Pistonheads have said they've driven the cars, written reviews but are under embargo by Lotus until 8 August. I think others have mentioned it too.
Thanks! I incidentally just heard it watching Harry's latest update a few minutes ago and figured I'd have an answer waiting for me back here as well :)

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Organized as usual. Previously when Lotus put an embargo in place it was to issue a statement ahead of news outlets for a managed news flow.
The 14 was already addressed via Goodwood yet I'm wondering if history will repeat itself. Will know 'soon.'

RichB

Reaction score
My subscriber copy of Evo has dropped through the door today and it does have the i4 Emira drive review in it, presumably we aren't allowed to post it here?

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My subscriber copy of Evo has dropped through the door today and it does have the i4 Emira drive review in it, presumably we aren't allowed to post it here?
That would be a copyright issue so is best avoided!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great to hear it's coming "soon" ;)

Although you can't paste a copy of the whole review, I'm sure a quote from the summary would be OK! No doubt they'll have made comparisons with the Cayman as well as the Emira V6 :)

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You could summarise, in your own words, what they think, what they compared it to, and any conclusions. That would be very welcomely received here! :)

RichB

Reaction score
It doesn't really compare it to the v6 much, if at all actually, so it's a frustrating review from that angle. Pretty similar message to those early V6 reviews though. More planted/less edgy than an A110. Less polished than the Cayman. It does say the engine doesn't sound great but....doesn't grate like the flat 4 in the Porsche.

"precise and inspiring as every Lotus that has gone before it"
"lightning reflexes off the line and a punch that continues to hit you as you climb through the gears"

They gave it a higher score than the v6 out of 5, but that maybe due to the initial test cars being a sports chassis without the cup 2s rather than the engine swap. Theres a bit of a whinge about the paddles not being the most intuitive.

So to sum up its like a first drive review from last year rather than what they prefer from each engine type of write up. Hopefully the other reviews released tomorrow (?) will be more informative for those sitting on the fence.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sounds OK. They probably don’t want to get too far into a V6 vs i4 debate, as it depends a lot on what you’re looking for.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sounds OK. They probably don’t want to get too far into a V6 vs i4 debate, as it depends a lot on what you’re looking for.
I also suspect, even amongst Emira enthusiasts, but there is only a few people trying to decide between i4 and V6. Most people will know what they want the car for, and which engine/transmission would be better for that use case.
So a comparison could possibly damage the Lotus brand and the “i4/V6 loser”, not enhance the “winner”.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In the evo article it is also stated that they haven't been able to get behind the wheel of a production V6 (the review is on a "production spec" I4, albeit no ADAS pod in the images). As such a comparison between V6 and I4 may have been a bit too subjective, especially given the time between them driving the two.

Andrew P

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also suspect, even amongst Emira enthusiasts, but there is only a few people trying to decide between i4 and V6. Most people will know what they want the car for, and which engine/transmission would be better for that use case.
So a comparison could possibly damage the Lotus brand and the “i4/V6 loser”, not enhance the “winner”.
I am one of the few. I have a V6 manual and an i4 on order. Genuinely open minded about which will be best & no idea until I drive the i4. I expect the i4 to be faster and have a bit more punch from the turbo & gears but do like a manual.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Motor1 article out

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
TopGear and Car & Driver articles out.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Auto Express and Evo articles out.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just watched Harry (Charlie). Great review and I like what I hear in general. Love a turbo car (Saab 99 Turbo was my first) and slightly better handling and daily driver use works for me. Can't wait.