• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:
OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Road and Track article out.

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To control the i4 engine heat Lotus located an electric "fan" to force extra cooling over the engine bay as well as a heat sensor just over the turbo to monitor its temperature.
I am not fully conviced that the i4 will not suffer from engine heat problems when aggressively driven........

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
To control the i4 engine heat Lotus located an electric "fan" to force extra cooling over the engine bay as well as a heat sensor just over the turbo to monitor its temperature.
I am not fully conviced that the i4 will not suffer from engine heat problems when aggressively driven........
I would guess the fan is there to cool when there is no air movement such as in traffic or after a run and you have stopped.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From R&T - Matt Farah..... Very interesting.

"Like the V-6 variant, the Emira AMG is available in both “Sport” and “Touring” trim. The setups are unique based on the new rear geometries and lighter weight - the AMG comes in at a lithe 3,180 lbs DIN (curb weight with 90% fuel capacity). According to Lotus the four-cylinder is a bit firmer than the six in both trims, with “Touring” set up to the same stiffness as “Sport” in the six. After having spent five days road tripping the countryside in a V-6 Touring, we’re driving an AMG Sport on track and on the country roads near Hethel today, and the stiffer setup is notable (and, to me, less desirable), particularly with track-ready Michelin Cup2 tires. Long story short, we’d prefer the Touring for either engine you order."

Overall I am surprised.... Looks like the i4 isn't winning over has many journalists as I had thought.

Last edited:

ToonFan

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From R&T - Matt Farah..... Very interesting.

"Like the V-6 variant, the Emira AMG is available in both “Sport” and “Touring” trim. The setups are unique based on the new rear geometries and lighter weight - the AMG comes in at a lithe 3,180 lbs DIN (curb weight with 90% fuel capacity). According to Lotus the four-cylinder is a bit firmer than the six in both trims, with “Touring” set up to the same stiffness as “Sport” in the six. After having spent five days road tripping the countryside in a V-6 Touring, we’re driving an AMG Sport on track and on the country roads near Hethel today, and the stiffer setup is notable (and, to me, less desirable), particularly with track-ready Michelin Cup2 tires. Long story short, we’d prefer the Touring for either engine you order."

Overall I am surprised.... Looks like the i4 isn't winning over has many journalists as I had thought.
Matt's review was always going to be tough. He's a die-hard manual in a sports car person. His complaint about the shifting was directed at AMG. His review reinforced my decision that my I4 choice was the right one for me.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Matt's review was always going to be tough. He's a die-hard manual in a sports car person. His complaint about the shifting was directed at AMG. His review reinforced my decision that my I4 choice was the right one for me.
To be fair Harry mentioned manual shifting was not the best part as well.

Oh and I am i4 and still convinced I made the right choice.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Have read all the articles now and I’m honestly a little surprised people didn’t like it more. The majority of them come back to one sticking point — it’s too much money to spend for an i4 turbo.

Trying to ignore the cost — the only thing that would concern me is what Harry and one of the magazines mentioned, the timing between tach display, manual shift selection, and shift execution time leaves a bit to be desired.

I’m also a little bit surprised but understand the business agreement with Mercedes that Lotus isn’t currently allowed to further modify the engine or ecu.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked Harry's video and for a second I tried to justify owning my current supercharged V6 Evora GT and picking up an i4 Emira to daily. 😂 I quickly realized that's totally unreasonable for my situation.. But I did think Harry and son's review was very positive. I grew up with turbo cars and always loved the induction noises. My only issue with the i4 is the price. No 4 cylinder is going to sell well in North America at ~$100k.. I don't care how good it looks.

OP
digilotus

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Car and Driver: "The inline-four is also louder than the V-6, with an exhaust note that turns gravelly at higher speeds and wider throttle openings, overlaid by plenty of induction noise and whistle from the turbocharger."

Could be a real entertainer if you like the whoosh sound of a turbo!

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Here’s my problem with the i4: It might be better than the V6 in daily commuting but it’s not the best option for daily commuting. So now I have a car that isn’t the best at either thing I might use it for. Frankly if I lose the engagement of the V6 noise and the manual transmission, I’d just rather go electric.

valentinewang

Reaction score
After read & watched every articles and videos. I still think i4 emira is the first choice in China, i4 emira drive away price around CNY 1million. Although 718 GTS 2.5T starts from 89.5k,but drive away price need to pay around 1.1million after optional cost indeed.

Three questions,

1. How to fix the shifting gear box for about review contents in these articles? is it the program problem or mechanical problem?
2. Why no one show the hethel track data review,such as the lap time,maximum G or 0-1 acceleration record?
3. Lots of them just copy the car data from official website which noticed ”target performance”……

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not surprised since the I4 turbo is what I imagined it be. There is just something about a shifting a manual car that adds to the drama and experience.

GlobalPilot777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not surprised since the I4 turbo is what I imagined it be. There is just something about a shifting a manual car that adds to the drama and experience.
The same shifting in the v6 auto was documented by me aswel after test driving it.. very bad feedback, no click feeling and hardly feel if you have shifted.. shame this is on the i4 the same. To me the shifter had the be on the steering colum like the exige and larger shift pedals..

CraigO

Reaction score
Both standard features on the A45S. Not special to the Emira or it's mid engine position.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Both standard features on the A45S. Not special to the Emira or it's mid engine position.
The difference is where the engine is located. It will not cool as well in the Emira.

valentinewang

Reaction score
The same shifting in the v6 auto was documented by me aswel after test driving it.. very bad feedback, no click feeling and hardly feel if you have shifted.. shame this is on the i4 the same. To me the shifter had the be on the steering colum like the exige and larger shift pedals..
My friend who both test i4 and v6 AT said,i4 shifting gear box much clever than AT, the article usually compare the benz-DCT with PDK, it’s unfair! Someone need to compare the emira i4 with a45 instead pdk.