• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:

AFBDA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
And what they don't mention is that the reason it doesn't have a frunk is a good one: it would be almost impossible to package with double wishbone front suspension and the very low bonnet line. The Cayman makes do with cheapo MacPherson struts, ditto the 992. Double wishbones are by far the purer engineering solution and Porsche only gives you them on the GT3.
I understand the packaging challenges with the double wishbone and low bonnet. But doesn’t the GT3 still have a frunk? Is it a smaller frunk than the strut versions of the 992?

Compared to the 718, I think the space behind the seats is more useful than the frunk. Assuming the trunk is already full, if something doesn’t fit in the frunk, it’s not fitting in the car. The dimensions of the space behind the seats in the Lotus seems more forgiving.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I understand the packaging challenges with the double wishbone and low bonnet. But doesn’t the GT3 still have a frunk? Is it a smaller frunk than the strut versions of the 992?

Compared to the 718, I think the space behind the seats is more useful than the frunk. Assuming the trunk is already full, if something doesn’t fit in the frunk, it’s not fitting in the car. The dimensions of the space behind the seats in the Lotus seems more forgiving.
The Gt3 still has a frunk, albeit smaller that standard 992s. The Gt3RS doesn't have one due to extra radiators. I just think that if a reviewer is bemoaning the Emira's lack of frunk without mentioning the engineering purity of aluminium double wishbones and a bonded aly tub then they have got their priorities wrong. It is a sports car not a shopping trolley 😀

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Another long form review from Kyle Conner, comparing it to the 718 GTS 4.0

This review is epic! I am a new fan of this Kyle Connor. His previous video was the first time I ever heard of him. I like the enthusiasm of his delivery, and the breadth of information he shared showed that he spent a lot of time getting to know the Emira. There might have been one or two things he got incorrect, and I noticed them while watching, but I think on the whole, this was an excellent review. Sure, he had to look up the 2GR-FE and Edelbrock 1740 model numbers, but I appreciate that he took the time to get that information correct on camera. I could tell from how they gushed about the 718 that both were (self-admittedly) Porsche guys. In the end, that Emira won over both their hearts says a lot. Probably one of the best Emira reviews I’ve seen.

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This review is epic! I am a new fan of this Kyle Connor. His previous high level comparison video was the first time I ever heard of him. I like the enthusiasm of his delivery, and the breadth of information he shared showed that he spent a lot of time getting to know the Emira. There might have been one or two things he got incorrect, and I noticed them while watching, but I think on the whole, this was an excellent review. Sure, he had to look up the 2GR-FE and Edelbrock 1740 model numbers, but I appreciate that he took the time to get that information correct on camera. I could tell from how they gushed about the 718 that both were (self-admittedly) Porsche guys. In the end, that Emira won over both their hearts says a lot. Probably one of the best Emira reviews I’ve seen.
Agreed, I've always enjoyed his enthusiasm, even if it deep dives into the nerdy stuff. They're often very long, but I treat it like a podcast and play it in the background when I'm doing other stuff around the house. This is his smaller personal channel, but he's been doing EV focused journalism on his main channel "Out of Spec Reviews" for 5-6 years and often regarded as the subject matter expert by the EV people for road trips, charging networks, etc.

He's recently been diving back into enthusiast ICE cars after realizing, like many of us, they are sadly not much longer for this world (at least in "new" form) and also happen to be an excellent weekend supplement/antidote to the ultra fast, yet mostly boring electric commuters many of us have switched over to during the week.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This review is epic! I am a new fan of this Kyle Connor. His previous video was the first time I ever heard of him. I like the enthusiasm of his delivery, and the breadth of information he shared showed that he spent a lot of time getting to know the Emira. There might have been one or two things he got incorrect, and I noticed them while watching, but I think on the whole, this was an excellent review. Sure, he had to look up the 2GR-FE and Edelbrock 1740 model numbers, but I appreciate that he took the time to get that information correct on camera. I could tell from how they gushed about the 718 that both were (self-admittedly) Porsche guys. In the end, that Emira won over both their hearts says a lot. Probably one of the best Emira reviews I’ve seen.
I second that, because it shows that there is a reviewer who has truly understood what this car is all about. Chassis tech / ride&handling and driver involvement second to none.

There are only a few who really "got" the car and what's it all about, to name a few: Zack Klapman, Derek Tam-Scott and Jason Cammisa and the guys from Throttle House. But maybe it also down to the way they review cars, that it only gets obvious under these conditions (canyon carving)?

Foxy87

Reaction score
Great review, thanks.

but honest question: what is the speed limit on those canyon roads? Arent these guys afraid of getting charged for wreckless driving or whatever it is called in the US? Its actually pretty easy to calculate the speed when you see the gear and revs. And wringing the emira all up to redline in 4th gear is like 200km/h (!!)… that is insane and would put you in jail from where I come from… on the other hand it looks like they dont cross double lines even when it would be safe to overtake - kind of doesnt make sense to me. can anyone elaborate?
thanks

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great review, thanks.

but honest question: what is the speed limit on those canyon roads? Arent these guys afraid of getting charged for wreckless driving or whatever it is called in the US? Its actually pretty easy to calculate the speed when you see the gear and revs. And wringing the emira all up to redline in 4th gear is like 200km/h (!!)… that is insane and would put you in jail from where I come from… on the other hand it looks like they dont cross double lines even when it would be safe to overtake - kind of doesnt make sense to me. can anyone elaborate?
thanks
Speed limits are posted on all roads.
But speaking for myself and the group I drive with don’t really pay attention to them. Yes you can get arrested for reckless driving.
We use radar detection. We also have 2 way radios to help. We do pass on double yellow line but car in front will let the rest of us know if it’s safe to pass a slow driver.
A couple of guys I drive with were arrested last year for driving at 120 mph in a 60 mph zone. Hearty fine and cars were towed away.
It’s a chance you take.
Going in 2 weeks to ?? And will push the cars as best we can

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great review, thanks.

thanks
Random response: different roads, different modes. It kind of depends on where you're from and where you're headed. Screenshot_20240217_081244_Tumblr.jpg

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great review, thanks.

thanks
If I recall correctly, Switzerland has some of the most strict traffic laws in the world. So comparatively, the relatively relaxed laws that surround the outskirts of LA probably seem reckless in comparison. The police are well aware of LA car culture and generally allow speeding on the more open back roads (within reason) as it's generally preferred over similar behavior near more populated areas and the traffic that comes with it.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Another long form review from Kyle Conner, comparing it to the 718 GTS 4.0

Once I got past the American accents and over-exuberance I really enjoyed this review. First time I’ve seen a Lotus/Porsche comparison that doesn’t have skewed preconceptions.

Does anyone recall why our cars don’t rev past 6800rpm? I have a vague recollection it was due to heat — obviously very difficult to cool that cramped engine bay. Or is it a physical restriction of the piston size etc?

And I’m glad they mentioned the gravelly noise up to 2000rpm. Even though I know it’s normal, it still gives me the willies every time I go for a drive.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Switzerland has some of the most strict traffic laws in the world. So comparatively, the relatively relaxed laws that surround the outskirts of LA probably seem reckless in comparison. The police are well aware of LA car culture and generally allow speeding on the more open back roads (within reason) as it's generally preferred over similar behavior near more populated areas and the traffic that comes with it.
I should have stated we do obey all city posted speed limits at all times

Haffway

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Speed limits are posted on all roads.
But speaking for myself and the group I drive with don’t really pay attention to them. Yes you can get arrested for reckless driving.
We use radar detection. We also have 2 way radios to help. We do pass on double yellow line but car in front will let the rest of us know if it’s safe to pass a slow driver.
A couple of guys I drive with were arrested last year for driving at 120 mph in a 60 mph zone. Hearty fine and cars were towed away.
It’s a chance you take.
Going in 2 weeks to ?? And will push the cars as best we can
Where I live, the law just changed:

As of May 1, 2024, there is a 30-day vehicle impoundment and an immediate 7-day licence suspension for stunting, racing and excessive speeding (50km/h or more over, or more than double the posted limit).

Going 120 in a 60 = $1470 ticket and up to -16 points.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great review, thanks.

thanks
I’ve run with groups in SoCal canyons and they go wild. I personally hang back and keep the speed for the track. That’s why I love these cars to begin with, you can have fun at lower speed.

The roads he’s running are pretty well known for this sort of thing. There’s a bit of a culture around it, in that locals will generally let you by if you’re hustling faster than their minivan. Though if they don’t, I know guys in McLarens who will put pressure on them inches from their rear bumper. I’ve never been comfortable with that sort of thing.

I’ve definitely encountered cops staking out spots on these canyons and it made me happy about my choices when I encountered them.

Despite the name, I try to keep it legal.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Where I live, the law just changed:

As of May 1, 2024, there is a 30-day vehicle impoundment and an immediate 7-day licence suspension for stunting, racing and excessive speeding (50km/h or more over, or more than double the posted limit).

Going 120 in a 60 = $1470 ticket and up to -16 points.
In Texas we don’t have points but you insurance will increase quite a bit.
Double the posted speed limit will get you arrested. As for the fine I’m not sure. You will need a lawyer as well and that’s going to be a steep cost.

Foxy87

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification guys. So these reviewers seem just to be lucky for never getting arrested.

That is true, the Emira is loads of fun on tightier, slower roads. Thats why I would buy it over a GT4.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
somehow, watching another content creator waste 30 seconds of my time acting like the start button presents an issue worth contemplating convinced me that I don't care a hoot about every other opinion he has. I guess it helps that I have the car already. How do these people get prescription bottles open?