Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:
LOL, I'll try.

There is an upshift at 6:30, I can't see the transmission gear but I'm guessing it's the 2-3 shift.

00:000 Paddle press, the upshift indicator goes away almost immediately.
00:200 Engine audibly begins to reduce in RPM
00:333 Engine begins to visibly reduce in RPM
00:500 Engine stops decreasing in RPM

Downshift at 2:52

00:000 Paddle press, can't see any immediate indication of anything
00:450 Engine audibly begins to increase in RPM
00:567 Engine begins to visibly increase in RPM
00:767 Engine stops increasing in RPM

Not quite as bad as the Emira, but downshifts certainly are taking longer than upshifts.
So from these timings, if looking at total time for the shift, upshifts are about on par, with Emira slightly slower on the downshift. But ultimately we're definitely not comparing one car being instantaneous and the other not.

In both cases downshifts are happening slower, I wonder if that's in part due to the gearbox having pre-selected for upshift and some of the extra time is made up of changing ratios before the shift (plus perhaps your suggested rpm safety check). I wonder if the timings would be any different if the changes were to be carried out as part of a deceleration phase where the software may be more likely to expect a downshift and pre-select accordingly.

At the end of the day, I just want to drive it and know for sure, but I'm not overly concerned at the moment given how I'll not be pushing to the absolute limit!

So from these timings, if looking at total time for the shift, upshifts are about on par, with Emira slightly slower on the downshift. But ultimately we're definitely not comparing one car being instantaneous and the other not.

In both cases downshifts are happening slower, I wonder if that's in part due to the gearbox having pre-selected for upshift and some of the extra time is made up of changing ratios before the shift (plus perhaps your suggested rpm safety check). I wonder if the timings would be any different if the changes were to be carried out as part of a deceleration phase where the software may be more likely to expect a downshift and pre-select accordingly.

At the end of the day, I just want to drive it and know for sure, but I'm not overly concerned at the moment given how I'll not be pushing to the absolute limit!
Right, looks like this is a characteristic of the 8G-DCT.

Includes a great external sound comparison between the V6 (front Magma car passing by at 4m 06s) and the I4s.

This is one of the most postive reviews I've seen of the I4. Especially as Jethro's original review of the V6 wasn't too flattering. I've been reading EVO for many years and I trust their opinion over most so this is quite an encouraging sign. They mention hitting the limiter once and also the awkward positioning of the paddles and lack of positive click but nothing about being unresponsive or slow.

I agree too that I might have expected a more gushing review given the 4.5 score. Not many cars reach that lofty territory!
Well, seems like they enjoyed the car a lot just wanted to ensure that the gripes were properly noted.

Spoke to customer service today after having a cancellation wobble (they rang back after 5 minutes of calling them so quick service) spoke to Danny, very polite and helpful as my car should be in production this month he said they weren’t sure if it would be or not as they have had more delays as we know but rest assured he says the gearbox shifting delay that have worried everyone have been noted after the press car reviews and sorted!! Here’s to hoping so and looking forward to a test drive (no dates on demos though) 😳

Spoke to customer service today after having a cancellation wobble (they rang back after 5 minutes of calling them so quick service) spoke to Danny, very polite and helpful as my car should be in production this month he said they weren’t sure if it would be or not as they have had more delays as we know but rest assured he says the gearbox shifting delay that have worried everyone have been noted after the press car reviews and sorted!! Here’s to hoping so and looking forward to a test drive (no dates on demos though) 😳
Some good news there but they also told me my i4 build would be August, then September - I got the Enhance and Protect email in early September but nothing since then by email and the same "holding statements" on LCCS chat - they were still saying I was showing as a September build last week but I'm not sure how often their records get updated from production....

Mine was made last month apparently and my encounter with CS was less than inspiring last week. Glad you had a bit more detail and glad about shifting fixes.

he says the gearbox shifting delay that have worried everyone have been noted after the press car reviews and sorted!!
To me, and supposedly to everyone with locked in, partly with non-refundable prepayments, for First Edition i4, AMG 2.0 Turbo cars, this news from schuey100 regarding Lotus actually fixing the shifting delay of the 8G-DCT gearbox is the SINGLE BEST NEWS regarding this model. I personally do not worry about anything else (turbo-lag, slightly lighter hydraulic steering effort, fan-noise etc) - neither of these things worry me, because I have driven many turbo cars (including 3 x Mazda RX-7, and several models of SAAB 900 & 9000, plus also multiple BMW and Alpina models with twin turbochargers).

It almost gave me the FAITH IN LOTUS back❣️
Because it means that Lotus Cars in Hethel, Norfolk actually listened to the reviewers (that had been selected by Lotus in the first place) and actually taken action to fix what was wrong, and make it right!

Now I wonder if the i4 tested by EVO and published in late September had the revised gearbox software with eliminated delays? It seems this review avoids talking about any “shifting delay”, which is why I am wondering if the content of this review really is genuine (even if it supports the i4).

At least I am hoping that schuey100’s reported comments regarding that “shifting delays have been sorted” are truly genuine.

My i4 FE is supposedly being built in November, and delivery is said to happen during February or March (where I live in Japan).

So is the story that lotus took the i4 gearbox, that did not have shifting issues from a mercedes; added shifting issues (presumably as an unintended consequence of other changes); then lotus fully developed the car to the point of sale, happy with their work. Journalists then remarked "this is a bit shit" and the world leading sportscar manufacturer then dialed out this trait that they had not noticed themselves?

Would fill me full of faith