Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:
my guess is — being different for the sake of being different?
Its like that because Lynk & Co 01 is like that. The bulk of the Emira interior is a direct pull out from that car to save development costs and increase speed to market. Drive mode and media buttons, parking switch, window switches, steering wheel, steering stalks, you name it... with some of those originally pulled out from the Volvo parts bin.

lynk-and-co-01.png

Its like that because Lynk & Co 01 is like that. The bulk of the Emira interior is a direct pull out from that car to save development costs and increase speed to market. Drive mode and media buttons, parking switch, window switches, steering wheel, steering stalks, you name it... with some of those originally pulled out from the Volvo parts bin.

View attachment 29921

tbh, i think this interior looks better than emira's

Still... It's an automatic. It can't just go into neutral to roll back like that without moving the gear selector. Not like he's pushing in a clutch.
A real mystery, then. The car clearly stops from the slide, reverses for a good distance, stops very briefly, then moves forward. The passenger seat is empty and he doesn't not touch either the shifter or any of the paddles.

A real mystery, then. The car clearly stops from the slide, reverses for a good distance, stops very briefly, then moves forward. The passenger seat is empty and he doesn't not touch either the shifter or any of the paddles.
Editing is a beautiful thing. They've had weeks to play with it. As it isn't physically possible to go from reverse to drive without changing gears editing of the video by skilled pro's is my opinion.

yeah get what your saying but can’t ignore the GTS 4.0 for price point and residuals…

I’m going to contact my OPC tomorrow and see what lead times are / equivalent monthly’s compared to i4 out of interest

I appreciate your point however to debate further: I can make more money currently keeping £80k in my investments than pretty much any Porsche residuals short of a GT4 RS - which Porsche wouldn't let me buy anyway. I want a toy that makes me smile and car residuals I don't really care about too much. I am planning to keep the car for a long time and accept I will lose some money ultimately so for me the car needs the fizz as James May described it. The V6 had it when I test drove but I love a turbo car and the thought of a slightly unruly turbo car really excites me. I am slightly concerned over the shift quality but not enough to cancel or wait until a test drive as mine will probably beat or be the same time as the demo cars.

So - R&T article clearly states that the Tour and Sport in the i4 is stiffer than the V6's in the same setup.

Harry's review clearly states that the tour and sport are exactly the same as his V6 car.

Which one is it?

Last edited:
So - R&T article clearly states that the Tour and Sport in the i4 is stiffer that the V6's in the same setup.

Harry's review clearly states that the tour and sport are exactly the same as his V6 car.

Which one is it?

I could see them using the exact same springs to save money, just my guess. This has the effect of making the suspension feel stiffer because the ride frequency goes up.

I love a turbo car and the thought of a slightly unruly turbo car really excites me. I am slightly concerned over the shift quality but not enough to cancel or wait until a test drive as mine will probably beat or be the same time as the demo cars.
Love unruly turbos! When I was younger driving Go-Karts I remember this instructor always beating us no matter which kart he had. Finally he told us not to just floor the kart but to listen to the engine when it is roaring the "cleanest." He said that is when you are making the most power. Some karts it would be if you floored it, some you would have to hold the throttle a few centimeters above the floor. I view turbo lag the same, you gotta time it and be precise. The downside supposedly of my STI is that the boost hits all of the sudden. But to me that makes it more fun to drive because you have to drive the car how it was designed and sometimes you hit it and sometimes you miss it but when you hit it it's very satisfying. That's just my humble opinion and why nothing I have heard would make me not want an I4, not getting one, but I wouldn't be upset if I had too instead of the V6. I understand track people have specific needs though.

Smoking tire podcast really tore into the gearbox issues — they mentioned that the gearbox tune was Lotus specific. Gives me hope they can do something with it? Seems contradictory to other reviews though.

Smoking tire podcast really tore into the gearbox issues — they mentioned that the gearbox tune was Lotus specific. Gives me hope they can do something with it? Seems contradictory to other reviews though.

Lotus has given Smoking Tire and others bad info before for sure. Not the reviewer's fault. Also Farah keeps calling the i4 steering system EPAS, doesn't fully account for the distinction between a "Full" EPAS system like on current Porsches, as compared to the Emira system in the i4 that is hybrid electric/hydraulic.

Watching the Smoking Tire review and noticed something strange ~16m30s. Matt attempts to slide but nearly spins it on the track before coming to a complete stop. He then reverses and then proceeds straight, but never touches the auto shifter. Am I missing something? 🧐
A bit late to the party here, but I finally got around to watching The Smoking Tire's i4 review today and yes, as others have pointed out, he never actually reverses, just keeps going forwards while turning left. I think it's a combination of his left turn and the scenery in the background briefly moving "forwards" / to the right that plays tricks on the eye. :)

I have run that configurator many times but I can't get over the looks of the Cayman. Just not doing it for me and for the money I want the looks. Call me shallow but there it is.
Was driving a Cayman GT4 RS last night. It feels (in fact it's a bit outdated) older than Emira, it's not a nice ride for just a Sunday drive, it's extremely harsh and loud - a pure race machine. I personally would not swap it for Emira, which is a much more accessible and pleasant car to be in and drive. Big thumbs up to what the Emira is!

Was driving a Cayman GT4 RS last night. It feels (in fact it's a bit outdated) older than Emira, it's not a nice ride for just a Sunday drive, it's extremely harsh and loud - a pure race machine. I personally would not swap it for Emira, which is a much more accessible and pleasant car to be in and drive. Big thumbs up to what the Emira is!
I wouldn’t swap a GT4 RS for an Emira either!! EVER!