Anyone received their 30 day notification yet?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As for why Belgium over UK… that’s a different story. The UK doing a direct to customer sales, should result in deposit dates actually mattering … somewhat

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Or perhaps the disconnect between Production and PR at Lotus.

Or Lotus didnt know which car was going to be handed over first.

Or Lotus thought they’d do the big PR splash for the first car being handed over at Hethel.

Or they’ll do some photos of Nikolas in a few weeks -like when they open a new bridge but don’t do the official ribbon cutting until the mayor can be available to hold the scissors.
From the photo, it looks like a factory collection. Also, Lotus seemed to know that a driving examiner who collected his S1 Elise chassis 1 was the first customer in 1996. This was from Bell and Colvill, it was filmed with a number of Lotus staff in attendance.

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As for why Belgium over UK… that’s a different story. The UK doing a direct to customer sales, should result in deposit dates actually mattering … somewhat
But in reality it has turned out to be a lottery as deposit dates seem to be irrelevant.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes but not ahead of deposits with other dealers in the UK, or, i suspect, deposits with dealers around the word.
You’ve misunderstood. Yes, there are earlier deposits in UK and other countries.

There are other customers of Oostende with deposits before Nikolas, but he got the first car.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From the photo, it looks like a factory collection. Also, Lotus seemed to know that a driving examiner who collected his S1 Elise chassis 1 was the first customer in 1996. This was from Bell and Colvill, it was filmed with a number of Lotus staff in attendance.
No, that’s the new Lotus branding at the Oostende dealer.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would think that the delivery of the first car that we know of would bring in cheers and applause now that it is confirmed that the Emira has finally been released into the wild and into a customer hands, which ONLY MEANS more vehicles are going to follow in arrivals. YAY.....right ???

Instead its the same old negative, self pity, complaining as usual here.

THis is why Nikolas is not here on the forum......Good for him !!!

(He will show up here eventually for sure........, when he needs help on figuring out why there is a weird sound behind his seat, or when he can't figure out how to reset some seat memory setting or something else along those lines.)

Last edited:

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think everyone is happy for him and his new car.

You understand why people are hacked off with Lotus about the situation though, yes?

Actually, NO. I don't understand.... Its just a car.

No one got cancer because they have to wait a bit more........that I know of, but I could be wrong,

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Although I don’t know how dealer relationships work in the EU or elsewhere, in the US and Canada dealers manage sequencing, not Lotus. Lotus gives the dealer an allocation and the dealer matches a name to the order. With the FE’s, dealers were given blocks of allocations and submitted them all on the 20th of the month. Lotus then allocates them for production based on their build logistics, they are not produced in order sequence. And the unknown here is what logistics challenges shuffle the order. Porsche, for example, had a hiccup in PCCB brakes and pushed a number of orders back and moved later dates ahead of them to keep the line running.

Then there’s the other explanation, this customer was matched to an earlier allocation because he has a historical relationship with the dealer.

That’s how I got my Spyder back in 2020. 10+ years doing business with a desirable trade trumps all first time buyers, at least at my dealership. Which is why I fully expect my Lotus dealership delivering Emira’s to all their repeat customers long before mine shows up. Not to be a smart ass but since it’s Lotus it’s a much shorter list…..

FSSF

Reaction score
Let's be honest, this company IS a complete joke. So insanely disrespectful (and stupid) to take deposits from prospective customers and then act as if they don't exist. Nobody would put up with this sh*t from another person in their life, so why should Lotus be different. If I could get my deposit back, I'd be gone. Frankly, I'm so put off by Lotus at this point, I am going to flip the car the moment it arrives. I should have taken the GTS slot I turned down to join this Circus.
Has your situation changed since August?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Although I don’t know how dealer relationships work in the EU or elsewhere, in the US and Canada dealers manage sequencing, not Lotus. Lotus gives the dealer an allocation and the dealer matches a name to the order. With the FE’s, dealers were given blocks of allocations and submitted them all on the 20th of the month. Lotus then allocates them for production based on their build logistics, they are not produced in order sequence. And the unknown here is what logistics challenges shuffle the order. Porsche, for example, had a hiccup in PCCB brakes and pushed a number of orders back and moved later dates ahead of them to keep the line running.

Then there’s the other explanation, this customer was matched to an earlier allocation because he has a historical relationship with the dealer.

That’s how I got my Spyder back in 2020. 10+ years doing business with a desirable trade trumps all first time buyers, at least at my dealership. Which is why I fully expect my Lotus dealership delivering Emira’s to all their repeat customers long before mine shows up. Not to be a smart ass but since it’s Lotus it’s a much shorter list…..
I agree with @mjw930 dealers completely control who gets an allocation, and your place in line can be jumped depending on a number of factors. From my understanding the only companies that currently control deposit/build/delivery timing in house is Lotus UK, Polestar, Tesla... I may be missing some other brands but that is what I can think of.

It has been major issue to the manufacturers for this exact reason and why @TomE and @Scruff111S + many other depositers are rightfully upset. I know a few Porsche guys that wanted to buy a GT4, got on a list, waited 6 months while another guy with a GT3 walks-in and gets an allocation on the spot. It's unfortunate and perhaps unfair in a way (the argument can be made that the GT3 guy deserves the treatment as a repeat customer, I know myself have benefited from this).

The reason manufacturers don't like this from dealers is it hurts the brand in the long term. They want to increase the brand awareness, sell to more different customers and give them a positive experience. Usually so they can buy the more mainstream models, like an Eletre after. The 911 gets you in the door at Porsche, but many end up getting a Macan or Cayenne for the wife or kids. Lotus is launching an all new process in the UK, and it looks to have some growing pains for the UK customers, but if I had the choice, I would prefer to deal directly with Lotus than an independent dealer. I know I am painting all dealers in the same brush, and perhaps should not. I am speaking in general terms, if I had to choose which way to buy a car, I would prefer it the UK way in the long run.

I do believe that Lotus is a little embarrassed that the first car did not go to a UK customer. It is most likely related to parts supply issues with RHD. It's not a perfect system. Their comms and marketing needs help. But let's not blame them for what the dealer network outside of the UK does. They do not have control over it. Remember the dealer buys the car from Lotus, this is all on the dealers.

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That’s OK. We Brits are sticklers for fair play and an orderly queue. Hence why we get upset when our companies promise to abide by that too, then break that promise.
Even David Beckham waits in line in the UK, I saw today for HM Queen. An amazing showing of respect from the people of the UK. Will be paying our respects from Canada on Monday.

Last edited:

FSSF

Reaction score
That’s OK. We Brits are sticklers for fair play and an orderly queue. Hence why we get upset when our companies promise to abide by that too, then break that promise.
Its called Fraud.........when you take someone's money in exchange for goods or services you know you cannot provide in part or full as agreed.

When they took your money.......they DID not have the parts, and they knew it. They did not have the parts as of Jan 1 2022 and still don't have them all now. Nor did they have the trained staff to build the car.

Another reason for lateness of deliveries is the little known fact that the work force are jarred off. They've had people leaving left right and centre because they're FED UP standing about doing nothing, getting moaned at for it, and assembling what they can......just to be told to disassemble it again so something else can be fitted instead. Agency staff cant get a full time contract......so then they get fed up and leave........and their replacements end up doing the same several months later.

Company has a scheme going for staff. If any staff member can bring ANYONE into the business who is in a special skill set......then that employee will get up to £500.00.

Not one employee who has done so can get their money.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It was a bit silly to let a handful of LHD cars get delivered before getting cars into the hands of UK customers, especially the YouTuber’s. If they were delivering significant numbers of LHD cars then maybe it could be justified, but it’s not, it’s very small numbers.

Anyway, it is what is, at least the cars are starting to trickle out (y) :cool:

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You’ve misunderstood. Yes, there are earlier deposits in UK and other countries.

There are other customers of Oostende with deposits before Nikolas, but he got the first car.
Yes, but how did he get to queue jump probably hundreds of earlier deposit holders. I have to say, it should on a be a first come first served served basis. I do feel that this is extremely unfair to earlier deposit holders. So on that basis, someone putting a deposit down today, are they going to get their car before us? Probable answer, yes. As early deposit holder are deemed unimportant customers to customers, so it seems from where I am standing. After this, I am seriously considering my options 🤔

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Absolutely, I for one just want fair play. Obviously that is not available with Lotus.

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Let's be honest, this company IS a complete joke. So insanely disrespectful (and stupid) to take deposits from prospective customers and then act as if they don't exist. Nobody would put up with this sh*t from another person in their life, so why should Lotus be different. If I could get my deposit back, I'd be gone. Frankly, I'm so put off by Lotus at this point, I am going to flip the car the moment it arrives. I should have taken the GTS slot I turned down to join this Circus.
I am considering a Porsche myself. I visited a couple of dealers and they could not have been more helpful. I stark contrast to Lotus.