• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

6 Months of ownership thoughts.

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My 6 month ownership write up.

I picked up the car from Hethel, being the first ever to do so, on 11th November 2022. It's now 11th May 2023 at time of writing this.

Where to begin.... the pickup and details are all in my 'diaries' thread (linked here Journal / Diary of my Emira Thread). But here's a pic of day 1, super exciting ahead of a 500+ mile journey home

IMG-20221111-WA0009.jpg

So, lets start with the pros...

It looks amazing, no denying that, it just looks stunning and attracts a lot of positive attention and comments.
The sport suspension is great, sublime in fact. Really happy with that choice.
It handles and drives incredibly well. It's much more engaging than my M4, and my previous 911 (997 C4S). It just FEELS so good.
The engine / exhaust note - wasn't overly taken at first, but after the running in period it's incredible. Startup noise is very quiet, but in sport or track it sounds brilliant.
It's comfier than my old 911, despite being quicker and handling better, it's surprisingly comfy on a longer trip.
The price increase has added to the residual cost of my vehicle, getting in there at the lower price and lower APR pre-increases is obviously good for me personally. Sorry if this one rubs you as the reader up the wrong way if your buying one that's more expensive. The next section will make you feel better if it has.
I love this car.
Service from Lotus Glasgow and Lotus HQ has been good as has comms for the most part.
JUST LOOK AT HOW GOOD IT LOOKS :D

The downsides...
While I'm writing this, on the 6 month anniversary of picking it up, it's been away for 1.5 weeks for the overheating issue. That's a shame.
In the 6 months I've covered just shy of 3000 miles. The car has been off the road in some shape or form for about 40% of this time. It's been recovered to the dealership three times, and had one additional AA visit, after which I learned how to disconnect the battery to 'reset' the car myself when issues appeared (helps sometimes).

It's had a number of faults / replacement parts - and although all of these have sorted the issues, each took longer than I'd generally like to resolve due to getting parts / getting it booked in etc, and it remained off the road each time for weeks. In one case over a month.

Leak resulting in new hydraulic steering pump
Limp mode issues resulting in New ECU
New Battery
Software updates.
SOS system errors
lose / ill-fitting trim items to be replaced
Overheats when idle - front fan doesn't come on due to water damage to front wiring loom

I've missed two paid for track days so still can't comment on the track abilities of this car. Will I make the third one, booked for early June?
No one's fault, but it's been frustrating missing these / wasted cash.

People constantly asking me 'whats wrong with it now' 'why do you have a (insert X car that isn't an Emira) again' 'why don't you sell it'. Likely related to the fact I keep not turning up at things with it when I'm expected to be bringing it, such as the track days....

The KEF audio is just 'ok', there is space for tweeters in the A pillars, but they are empty which is weird.

The caliper colour was changed without anyone being told - demo car had 'hethel yellow' calipers, production cars have a 'lemon yellow' shade.

The Ice Grey leather looks amazing - but it shows up every tiny mark so quickly, even though it is protected. This needs more cleaning than I thought and is wearing a little faster than I'd have expected.

Conclusion...
I don't regret buying the Emira. But if it was my only vehicle it wouldn't have been reliable enough over the last 6 months as I've been unable to use it so often and that's a real shame. Basically 90% of the downsides are issue/fault related rather than the car itself. An Emira with no issues would be absolutely incredible, and a joyful experience to own.

I look forward to that being something I get to experience one day. So please, please, don't take this as a negative post. It's not. It's just the facts of my 6 months owning an Emira.

In the meantime, it's photogenic as hell - check my instagram out and make me feel better about it being away :)
And if your interested in my thoughts on a Mini Countryman (I've covered about 1500 miles in one while the Emira has been away) please let me know! :)

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks for the very inclusive writeup. It's somewhat like reading about a new generation Corvette (and the next 8 years). :sneaky:
Every time I read a posting like this, I long for a Lotus dealership that is 10 miles away, like it used to be, many years ago.
But the silver lining for many of us in the US is the hope that many or all of these issues will be addressed and corrected before 2025 when I am eligible. And hey, maybe the interest rates will drop by then.:cool:

Drlonline

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks for the honest recap of the joys and heartaches of early Emira ownership. We can feel your pain of having a car you obviously love, but also the frustration of dealing with its limited availability. Hopefully your future with the car will see the technical issues get fully resolved so you can more fully enjoy driving (and tracking) it.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciate your honest ownership review. Not sure I'd remain as positive in your shoes, but glad you don't regret buying the Emira. Hopefully you get yours back soon and it's trouble free from there on!

Let's hope Lotus is addressing all of these issues, taking notes, and adjusting production and QC daily.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

I picked up the car from Hethel, being the first ever to do so, on 11th November 2022. It's now 11th May 2023 at time of writing this.

Where to begin.... the pickup and details are all in my 'diaries' thread (linked here Journal / Diary of my Emira Thread). But here's a pic of day 1, super exciting ahead of a 500+ mile journey home

IMG-20221111-WA0009.jpg

It looks amazing, no denying that, it just looks stunning and attracts a lot of positive attention and comments.
It handles and drives incredibly well. It's much more engaging than my M4, and my previous 911 (997 C4S). It just FEELS so good.
The engine / exhaust note - wasn't overly taken at first, but after the running in period it's incredible. Startup noise is very quiet, but in sport or track it sounds brilliant.
It's comfier than my old 911, despite being quicker and handling better, it's surprisingly comfy on a longer trip.
The price increase has added to the residual cost of my vehicle, getting in there at the lower price and lower APR pre-increases is obviously good for me personally. Sorry if this one rubs you as the reader up the wrong way if your buying one that's more expensive. The next section will make you feel better if it has.
I love this car.
Service from Lotus Glasgow and Lotus HQ has been good as has comms for the most part.

The downsides...
While I'm writing this, on the 6 month anniversary of picking it up, it's been away for 1.5 weeks for the overheating issue. That's a shame.
In the 6 months I've covered just shy of 3000 miles. The car has been off the road in some shape or form for about 40% of this time. It's been recovered to the dealership three times, and had one additional AA visit, after which I learned how to disconnect the battery to 'reset' the car myself when issues appeared (helps sometimes).

It's had a number of faults / replacement parts - and although all of these have sorted the issues, each took longer than I'd generally like to resolve due to getting parts / getting it booked in etc, and it remained off the road each time for weeks. In one case over a month.

New Battery
Software updates.
SOS system errors
Overheats when idle - front fan doesn't come on due to water damage to front wiring loom

I've missed two paid for track days so still can't comment on the track abilities of this car. Will I make the third one, booked for early June?

People constantly asking me 'whats wrong with it now' 'why do you have a (insert X car that isn't an Emira) again' 'why don't you sell it'. Likely related to the fact I keep not turning up at things with it when I'm expected to be bringing it, such as the track days....

The KEF audio is just 'ok', there is space for tweeters in the A pillars, but they are empty which is weird.

The caliper colour was changed without anyone being told - demo car had 'hethel yellow' calipers, production cars have a 'lemon yellow' shade.

The Ice Grey leather looks amazing - but it shows up every tiny mark so quickly, even though it is protected. This needs more cleaning than I thought and is wearing a little faster than I'd have expected.

Conclusion...
I don't regret buying the Emira. But if it was my only vehicle it wouldn't have been reliable enough over the last 6 months as I've been unable to use it so often and that's a real shame. Basically 90% of the downsides are issue/fault related rather than the car itself. An Emira with no issues would be absolutely incredible, and a joyful experience to own.

I look forward to that being something I get to experience one day. So please, please, don't take this as a negative post. It's not. It's just the facts of my 6 months owning an Emira.

In the meantime, it's photogenic as hell - check my instagram out and make me feel better about it being away :)
And if your interested in my thoughts on a Mini Countryman (I've covered about 1500 miles in one while the Emira has been away) please let me know! :)
Thanks for the review. Seems to me you are implying that, assuming Lotus addresses all issues, those who will get their hands on the car late this year or 2024 will likely be ecstatic.

I agree that a Lotus should not be an only car.

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
great write up. I’ve only had very minor niggles in my 650 miles so far and it’s been really reliable. Hoping I don’t jinx it now but seems like they are resolving these issues at production now

PJS

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

IMG-20221111-WA0009.jpg

I love this car.

The downsides...

New Battery
Software updates.
SOS system errors

Conclusion...

Good update, I suspect the issues are mainly down to it being an early car, some are clearly better than others. In contrast I've just done 5000 miles in 3 months with only a couple of minor issues - a Jan 23 build . Hopefully you'll soon be enjoying those tracks days - I can tell you it feels awesome on track.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Seems to me you are implying that, assuming Lotus addresses all issues, those who will get their hands on the car late this year or 2024 will likely be ecstatic.

I agree that a Lotus should not be an only car.
Nah……”I agree that a Lotus should not be an only car.”
Look, little quirks aside like a janky radio in the Evora, the car should effortlessly go 100,000 miles with proper scheduled maintenance. Weird stuff faulting all the time is not an acceptable outcome for the car. Needing care? Fine. Parts are strange if you break something? Fine. Maintenance schedule is expensive and difficult to do yourself? Hell yea! Car breaks down on the side of the road for no damn reason? Nope…

Last edited:

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Stick with it. Go and read my journal thread. Picked mine up on Feb 14.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My head tells me to cancel, my heart says they'll fix the issues by the time my turn comes around. 🤯
They're going to get things sorted out. They clearly designed and intended this car to be the best Lotus they've ever built, so they have to work at sorting out these early issues, but they'll get there. Things like the power steering pump, wiper motor system, seat belt mechanisms, etc. are things they didn't design themselves, but are from the parts bins of the suppliers they ordered from. The last couple of years was a mess for everybody, including the suppliers. All Lotus can do is trust that the parts and assemblies they're receiving are good, and use them on the production line. If there are issues with some of them, they have to go back to the supplier who has to figure out what happened and why. That's going to take some time. The unfortunate few who are having some of these issues with their cars are the pioneers who will be clearing the trail for the rest of us. God bless 'em!

Some of this stuff may be able to be second sourced. A lot of people don't know that Ferrari owners have long known they could second source Fiat parts for some of the things in their cars, because they actually were from the Fiat parts bin. Ferrari would put their label on it and up the price, but it was the exact same part or assembly.

The power steering pumps are Toyota I believe, so if there are issues in the future with your Emira, you will probably be able to second source Toyota pumps instead of having to wait on the same assembly labeled as a Lotus part.

Being a sports car owner is an adventure, especially a British sports car, but it does have it's rewards too. Hang in there, keep the faith. There will be a community of owners who will develop a data base of parts, suppliers, information and procedures to help you with your journey.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Rudolph what? Why the facepalm? I've owned and driven sports cars for over 50 years, and what I wrote is based on decades of experience.

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
With much larger numbers being delivered recently there doesn't seem to be an equivalent rise in problems. Mine was March 17th pickup and I've had zero issues. Hopefully most have now been sorted. I hope so as I'm off to the Alps on Saturday for a 2500+ mile trip!!! 🤞
I think my 10,000 mile limited insurance might have to be extended, it's such a fun car to drive!

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
800mi + in mine so far and no issues other than the wipers. I guess getting a very early car always comes with risks - heck I know someone in the industry (manufacturing side) that told me only buy late models of any car! Clearly I paid no attention and I'm loving the Emira so far. Hope the issues on yours get ironed out quickly.

I've got Ice Grey interior too and I've protected it with Gtechniq leather guard from day one. It's holding up pretty well so far and not really showing any wear. Anything to look out for?

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys, appreciated :)

re the Ice grey leather, it's the stitching on the driver side bolsters that seem to get dirty very fast. Cleans up easily though, just shows everything, I guess as expected, definitely an awesome colour choice though!

Actually a further wee negative..... the PPF on the car from factory is shockingly bad, it needs replaced with something thicker and aftermarket, the two rear arch PPF started to peel within a month. So I'll def be replacing these asap!

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys, appreciated :)

re the Ice grey leather, it's the stitching on the driver side bolsters that seem to get dirty very fast. Cleans up easily though, just shows everything, I guess as expected, definitely an awesome colour choice though!

Actually a further wee negative..... the PPF on the car from factory is shockingly bad, it needs replaced with something thicker and aftermarket, the two rear arch PPF started to peel within a month. So I'll def be replacing these asap!
😮 I’m so surprised about the PPF. Was rather looking forward to having some lasting protection. Do let us know what product you choose. I would really not want to wrap my car.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
😮 I’m so surprised about the PPF. Was rather looking forward to having some lasting protection. Do let us know what product you choose. I would really not want to wrap my car.

Plan to replace the factory PPF'd arches with something aftermarket when I get the front bumper etc done, will post details once I get the car back and then booked in.

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When you say factory is that the stuff detailyoureyecandy has done for Lotus at Factory? Or do you mean the small amount of ppf they do around the arches etc?