• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Boot hatch frame fills with water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy

Reaction score
In the past Lotus has not used GRP, they used hand-lay fiberglass matting in panel forms with resin literally poured on it and then oven cured. It was a traditional fiberglass layup process with hand finishing.

GRP is a plastics process, and typically uses injection molding or another type of high precision molding. That's not anything that Lotus has done in-house (or on any car before the Emira), to my knowledge.
They use resin infusion. All early lotuses were hand laid GRP, which were very variable in weight and shrinkage hence the large panel gaps. If you dont think Lotus have used GRP then you should read some of the books on earlier cars. I discussed how this has come on at the factory earlier this year. Resin infusion has been used for some years which produces a far more uniform consistant panel but at heart its still a GRP composite. If its pure epoxy it wont mind water (even if it shouldn’t be there in the first place) if it isnt its still subject to water damage over a long term. Lotus just need to and indeed probably have fix the bonding issue which is letting water in.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Quick question is the Emira one of several cars you’ll own?
Third car.

I mean let's be realistic, it's a two seat sports car that can barely hold carry-on bags, so it's not exactly a reasonable one-car solution. So I put some of the fussy stuff squarely into perspective based on that.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They use resin infusion. All early lotuses were hand laid GRP,
Hand laid fiberglass! You're being excessively pedantic about this topic.

We're talking about panels for the Emira which are injection molded from LIQUID plastic. The only commonality with the process that you are referring to is the fact that they both technically have some glass fiber content in the material.

Can we please drop this side conversation? It's beyond stupid, pedantic, and obnoxious.

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Could you show us a picture of this problem ? A picture of the rear hatch. Many thanks.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Hand laid fiberglass! You're being excessively pedantic about this topic.

We're talking about panels for the Emira which are injection molded from LIQUID plastic. The only commonality with the process that you are referring to is the fact that they both technically have some glass fiber content in the material.

Can we please drop this side conversation? It's beyond stupid, pedantic, and obnoxious.
It’s a forum for discussion and the materials reaction to water is directly related to the subject raised by the OP and its potential impact on this fault (of which there have been a few reports) and your insistence that Lotuses both current and historic never used GRP could not have been more inaccurate and yes lets drop it.

I have every confidence that Lotus will resolve this and will probably already have done so.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Few comments as OP and who has encountered this problem. First, I drove the car in torrential rain for many km and it has been parked outside during heavy rain for long periods. There are no leaks into cabin or boot.

Secondly, Komotec has not found exact spot where water is entering hatch frame, there is no visible defect.

This issue is not something I would worry too much. Small amount of water will anyway drip into rear boot when you open hatch. Same with Exige and many other cars with similar design. That particular problem will be fixed by manufacturer sooner or later.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Few comments as OP and who has encountered this problem. First, I drove the car in torrential rain for many km and it has been parked outside during heavy rain for long periods. There are no leaks into cabin or boot.

Secondly, Komotec has not found exact spot where water is entering hatch frame, there is no visible defect.

This issue is not something I would worry too much. Small amount of water will anyway drip into rear boot when you open hatch. Same with Exige and many other cars with similar design. That particular problem will be fixed by manufacturer sooner or later.
ohhh I'd forgotten there was an actual point to this discussion, thanks for bring it back on track :).

Maybe, just maybe you need to look at this problem from another angle. You are assuming that the water has made its way into the hatch through your bad weather (unlike the great weather that is always present in the UK). I propose an alternative theory however....
Matt W, in one of his april fools day moments, of which it seems there have been a few, was walking down the line late one evening, a bit tipsy, as you would expect, with the various decisions Lotus have taken .. and saw the pritt stick, double sided tape machine *10kg limit, fixing your boot panel together, he looked down at his glass of beer and thought "that would be bloody funny, a bit like the time I put a dead fish under the spare wheel or Jim's Evora."
So he tipped his glass of beer into your boot panel and then it got sealed up.

Hence there is no leak, the car came with the liquid in there... so just get a sharp pencil, filter the beer out and job done :).
While this post may be irrelevant, its not much more irrelevant than the side discussion going on for the last few days, none of which helps the OP, but clearly I am not one to talk, or rather I am....

All I know and care about is the panels are not Aluminium or steel, they wont rust, cant be beaten into shape if damaged, are lighter, but the car is still not that light regardless..... and at risk of going off at a tangent again, can they warp?? Google says it cant.... so lets leave that one there, no warping possible.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
When I tested the car this week the Lotus guy showed me how the rear hatch glass is clear of the bodywork on its lower edge so that engine heat can escape. Thus, when the hatch is lifted, any water present will wash through this opening onto the engine bay, he thought it missed the luggage area.

Is this the leak that is being fussed over? I haven't read the thread in its entirety so please ignore my comments if inappropriate and continue the pissing contest.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
When I tested the car this week the Lotus guy showed me how the rear hatch glass is clear of the bodywork on its lower edge so that engine heat can escape. Thus, when the hatch is lifted, any water present will wash through this opening onto the engine bay, he thought it missed the luggage area.

Is this the leak that is being fussed over? I haven't read the thread in its entirety so please ignore my comments if inappropriate and continue the pissing contest.
no its a separate issue..... water inside an actual panel

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
With all this talk of water leaking into the engine bay/hatch area (as minor as it may actually be), it got me wondering where these vents drain to... And are they actually letting hot air out from the engine bay or relieving pressure from the inner rear fenders? 🤔

20221022_094025.jpg

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
With all this talk of water leaking into the engine bay/hatch area (as minor as it may actually be), it got me wondering where these vents drain to... And are they actually letting hot air out from the engine bay or relieving pressure from the inner rear fenders? 🤔

View attachment 19605
I believe they are "chimney" ducts from the engine bay, the rear wheel wells have pressure relief through the rear bumper.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 19605
for me the ugliest part of the design

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I do feel that it might have been better without the mesh. I suspect the aftermarket may provide options in time.
yeh, its the only thing I never liked on the car, looking down the side and seeing that bit there.
The F40 and min designer also disliked it if memory serves on his youtub video.
but well, we can forgive it...... as the rest is stunning...outside at least and who ever said its whats inside that counts, only ugly people say that.. haha

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
OK folks, get back on topic please. This is about a leak (location not yet identified) causing water to gather inside the hatch panel. It's not about water running off the outside of the hatch into the engine bay, aesthetics of the hatch design etc.

So far this issue has been reported by ONE owner, has been diagnosed, agreed as a manufacturing defect and the part is being replaced as soon as possible by Lotus under warranty. A sense of perspective on this would be useful before sharpening your pitchforks!

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
OK folks, get back on topic please. This is about a leak (location not yet identified) causing water to gather inside the hatch panel. It's not about water running off the outside of the hatch into the engine bay, aesthetics of the hatch design etc.

So far this issue has been reported by ONE owner, has been diagnosed, agreed as a manufacturing defect and the part is being replaced as soon as possible by Lotus under warranty. A sense of perspective on this would be useful before sharpening your pitchforks!
Officially requesting a "pitchforks" reaction emoji... :) 🦆

Status
Not open for further replies.