• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Boot hatch frame fills with water

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could you show us a picture of this problem ? A picture of the rear hatch. Many thanks.
@Matt This is a picture taken of a demo car, but thought it would give a better idea of what is being discussed. Water that had somehow gotten into the grey plastic part has nowhere to go and stays inside the boot lid.
I wonder if the replacement part had been delivered?
PXL_20221209_062908121.jpg

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
it's a two seat sports car that can barely hold carry-on bags

That's strange. I've travelled many thousands of miles in my Evora with 2 large duffle bags, 2 helmets, 2 backpacks, a large tool bag, and other assorted nick-nacks. Plus plenty of room for 2 adults.

Your carry-on bags must be massive.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
@Matt This is a picture taken of a demo car, but thought it would give a better idea of what is being discussed. Water that had somehow gotten into the grey plastic part has nowhere to go and stays inside the boot lid.
I wonder if the replacement part had been delivered?
View attachment 20204
Thats correct description. I left car with dealer for winter, havent heard about progress yet, but there is also plenty of time till spring.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's strange. I've travelled many thousands of miles in my Evora with 2 large duffle bags, 2 helmets, 2 backpacks, a large tool bag, and other assorted nick-nacks. Plus plenty of room for 2 adults.

Your carry-on bags must be massive.
I was illustrating a (valid) point about the reasonable limitations of a purist sports car to someone who was considering buying one as their sole source of transportation. Not sure why you chose to make that the subject of a narrow criticism, but sure, I'll bite.

The term "carry on" has a very specific meaning. You're telling me that you'd comfortably ensconce two hard-side US TSA allowable carry-on bags (like the below) in an Emira? This is a bag from Away, a popular luggage manufacturer in the US, and this particular bag is consistently rated as a recommended travel bag in most US travel and review publications, including Wirecutter.

Screenshot_20221213-070434.png

Last edited:

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Everything is bigger in the USA, at least in some "cases" :ROFLMAO:

UK airline carry-ons are generally smaller, and vary by airline :

The smallest on the list above is 40x20x25cm which is (rounded up) about 16x8x10 inches (budget airline - RyanAir)

The largest (Premium airline, economy seats) is 56x45x25cm which is (rounded up) about 22x18x10 inches (British Airways and Virgin Atlantic) - closer to/slightly larger than the measurements above.

Most European airlines are similar to the UK list.

I suspect that Lotus may have used the smaller size as the "use case" in any publicity shots as these are the most widely-available and used pieces of luggage in the UK - i.e. the lowest common denominator for all airlines.....

However, the depth is probably the deciding factor in the Emira (if they are stood on end too), which is pretty much identical at around 10 inches in all "cases"?....

image-7_2000px.jpg

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I feel like you could put three carry-on cases standing up side by side back there.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could someone with a car already measure the width and depth of the shelf behind the seats please?

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Everything is bigger in the USA, at least in some "cases" :ROFLMAO:

UK airline carry-ons are generally smaller, and vary by airline
😂 Oh totally, 100% agreed! We love to Super Size literally anything. It's a cultural hazard.

I was responding originally to a guy from the US though, so I was adjusting my commentary to match our shared context.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Actually its more like 4. And the entire trunk is still empty. The Evora/Emira platform is surprisingly practical.

View attachment 20247

View attachment 20248

View attachment 20249
Let's recognize though, that that's in an Evora. The Emira package shelf is significantly shorter than the one in the Evora, because the firewall is further forward.

Before a bunch of you attack me, I'm not saying any of this as a criticism. I'm just being realistic about the prospect of using the vehicle as a sole/only car for everything that a person needs.

That's a certainly not my scenario, FYI.

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Let's recognize though, that that's in an Evora. The Emira package shelf is significantly shorter than the one in the Evora, because the firewall is further forward.

The Emira photo above shows the seats all the way back. There's more room with them in a normal driving position. With an Emira I would use large, soft-sided duffle bags on the shelf instead. It still would swallow up an amazing amount of bags.

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Before a bunch of you attack me, I'm not saying any of this as a criticism. I'm just being realistic about the prospect of using the vehicle as a sole/only car for everything that a person needs.

That's a certainly not my scenario, FYI.

Don't forget the ~40lb weight limit on the Emira's shelf. :oops:

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Don't forget the ~40lb weight limit on the Emira's shelf. :oops:
There’s a 10kg limit on cabin baggage on most UK flights = 44lbs for two carry-ons so not too bad……

Status
Not open for further replies.