2.0T EMIRA will start manufacturing in July !!!

Good news for the long wait. Here it is:

2.0 news.jpg

Mod edit: Source confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are a few things to consider regards China.
1. I don’t know the numbers but I’m pretty confident the I4 model is only a small proportion of the total sales in most markets. In China, due to the increased tax on higher displacement cars, it makes the V6 significantly more expensive than the I4, so I4 sales are the bulk of Emira sales. The V6 MT were offered for some time but I don’t believe many were sold and it’s only very recently that a few V6 MT Emira are here in China (several months after Europe/UK).
2. There has been a massive rollout of new dealers throughout China. Don’t know the numbers but it’s significant. These are dedicated dealers, it must have been a massive investment.
3. The Eletre are starting to be delivered to customers, there are several in each of the showrooms. I’m guessing they want to have Emiras around to help them sell more SUVs.
Good overview. Is the i4 still 360 HP as elsewhere?

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There's some truth in the sales focus on China. For the Lotus Technology investor presentation, they said their EV sales will be focused on the China > EU > UK markets and then US, due to expected EV market growth. Emira sales may be following that pattern to grow awareness in the markets.
OK, could also be that Lotus EV's for China do not become a succes for several reasons as price, reliability........etc.
Then they need the other markets very urgent.........who knows.
Anyway imho the historical life course of Lotus as we knew it has come to an end finally and definitively.........my 2021 Evora GT 410 Sport and other Evora's mark the final farewell of Hethel.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We need to see some 0-60 runs in the 400HP i4. Bet it will be in the 3.9-4.0 range

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The I4 in China is listed at 400hp. It is of course a bit strange that in the ROW it’s 360HP.
If so. then what is the reason to get the v6, the manual shift?
Don't doubt you but rather confused.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes. And proven reliable powertrain, rarity, and resale value. Exposed back lit shift linkage is awesome too.
Of course. I get it. But post #45 was ascertaining in China the appeal of a more expensive V6 (per post #46) when the cheaper i4 already provides 400 HP (according to post #43) .
Again, what is different there about the v6 versus potent i4?
Still confused.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The impression I got at the time was that the v6 was never meant to be the main feature in China. However, due to repeated delays, Lotus needed something to sell, even though it could be limited to the very few that could afford such a luxury (tax and operating costwise). The v6 was just a placeholder.
Now that the i4 is ready to go into manufacturng, Lotus can prioritize on delivering them to the domestic market.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If so. then what is the reason to get the v6, the manual shift?
Don't doubt you but rather confused.
Agreed, it a bit strange. It didn’t seem planned, but rather just having an Emira available sooner, any Emira, due to the ongoing production delays. I guess they wanted a few Emira around to look good next to the Eletre.

The V6 AT was not yet available at that time when the MT were offered, so the MT it was. So far as I understand it, there were not many V6 MT sold. Auto is the norm here, you don’t see many manual cars.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agreed, it a bit strange. It didn’t seem planned, but rather just having an Emira available sooner, any Emira, due to the ongoing production delays. I guess they wanted a few Emira around to look good next to the Eletre.

The V6 AT was not yet available at that time when the MT were offered, so the MT it was. So far as I understand it, there were not many V6 MT sold. Auto is the norm here, you don’t see many manual cars.
V6 Auto trans and i4 DCT both are rated at 400 HP in China?
If so, why pay so much more for the same performance?
Especially, as often argued here, the i4 will be lighter and supposedly faster due to weight and engine dimension.
'Well, I paid more' is quite the bragging right.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
V6 Auto trans and i4 DCT both are rated at 400 HP in China?
If so, why pay so much more for the same performance?
Especially, as often argued here, the i4 will be lighter and supposedly faster due to weight and engine dimension.
'Well, I paid more' is quite the bragging right.
I personally have an order for an I4 Emira and didn’t seriously consider going with the V6 MT.

Yes both rated 400hp, but V6 AT was never offered for sale in China. The V6 MT is also no longer available for purchase in China, it was a fairly short term thing.

There are gonna be some that will chose to pay more for the V6, it is after all likely/going to sound better and a few enthusiasts may like the MT over an AT. Even at the higher price point the V6 Emira offers a viable option in China compared to the alternatives. The Emira V6 is still quite a bit cheaper than a base 992 911 for example.

For me, I’d like to have a car that my wife could comfortably drive. She could manage a MT, but it would be difficult for her. The additional cost of the V6 MT, my wife not being able to use it and combined with no option to spec the car as I’d like, made it difficult to justify the additional cost. Part of the appeal of the Emira is the reasonable cost for a fairly exotic car.

Last edited:
OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How is the i4 rated with 400hp in China??
That's a long story. Initially, Lotus didn't want to introduce a 3.5MT version. As of early July 2022, no 3.5MT version has been officially announced. However, perhaps fearing that the earliest customers would have to wait too long and drop out altogether, the official announcement was made in mid-July 2022 that the 3.5MT version would be introduced and 2.0M139 would no longer be available for pre-order.

Personally, I already had a manual Toyota 86 and I didn't want to drive a manual again for my second car, so I chose to wait for version 2.0M139. As far as horsepower is concerned, the output curve should be different despite the 400 horsepower, and the V6 will have a higher tail speed.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm very sure the guy who wrote the press material for China just did a mistake by stating the 2.0 to have 400hp. He probably just translated the whole UK press material and exchanged "3.5l SC" with "2.0l Turbo", because there was no V6 planned for China, but forgot to change the horsepower number.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm very sure the guy who wrote the press material for China just did a mistake by stating the 2.0 to have 400hp. He probably just translated the whole UK press material and exchanged "3.5l SC" with "2.0l Turbo", because there was no V6 planned for China, but forgot to change the horsepower number.
Ok. It’s been stating 400hp and 480Nm for a long time.

In China, the engine capacity determines the tax bracket. Higher power output and/or higher emissions on a given engine capacity makes no difference as far as I understand it. It’s purely the capacity. This is not the case in other markets, where it might be necessary to detune to reach emissions targets.

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Could be a new MR2, I suppose (and some rumors claim one is coming.). However, I do not think it will be intended to compete with Lotus Emira.

I personally am very happy with the Lotus Emira, and I prefer it with the (slightly) lighter M139 engine with a lower point of gravity. I think this version will show the true potential of the new Emira design, and it will be a truly enjoyable car to drive.

Curious if you, Matt, also have one on order? Enjoy!
I ordered it in July last year, and that day was a memorable day, because it was the last day that you can place an order of M139 EMIRA in China. :ROFLMAO:

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I ordered it in July last year, and that day was a memorable day, because it was the last day that you can place an order of M139 EMIRA in China. :ROFLMAO:
So, no more imports from Lotus-UK until the Type 135?

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts