2.0T EMIRA will start manufacturing in July !!!

Good news for the long wait. Here it is:

2.0 news.jpg

Mod edit: Source confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow, the Emira “14”. Looks like they tried to fix their mistakes but still doesn’t look right. They got the “i” in the header but the rest is wrong still….uggg. If you’re going to troll, at least do it well.

It's just a part lost in translation when processing the original email through Google translator. The email is legit.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh wow, the Emira “14”. Looks like they tried to fix their mistakes but still doesn’t look right. They got the “i” in the header but the rest is wrong still….uggg. If you’re going to troll, at least do it well.
It's likely using googles image translator - the first is the official one

KusaKusa

Reaction score
Are these Chinese i4 Emiras also first editions? If so, I wonder if that means non-Chinese cars, first editions or not, could theoretically also change colors after July production. We could be seeing the updated colors pretty soon.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That was nice of Lotus to offer the new colors to Chinese buyers free of charge

While US buyers are being told if they try to change their spec it will push us out of our place and into the higher priced FE price point 👀

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

While US buyers are being told if they try to change their spec it will push us out of our place and into the higher priced FE price point 👀

Yeah, that's kinda BS. Many of us have had deposits in since summer 2021 and orders in since March-April 2022. If production hasn't started, why can't we choose from the new colors? It'd be different if the first 6 were limited to the first FIRST editions. I wonder what will be offered on the First Edition 3.0. 🙄

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But even if true, according to the write-up, there is only a backorder of a bit more than one month of I4 production (mainly July and August 2023 deliveries). And we can safely assume that 3.5 V6 supercharged cars will also continue to be produced in parallel. It also sounds like LOTUS NYO is attempting to attract more (new) orders for I4 by offering new colors to attract customers.
Riiiight, on that magic 2nd production line that they don't have? They can barely make cars at an acceptable rate on a single model. Adding a 2nd will slow the process even further.

It's clearly a China-first company now, no matter what the rank and file UK staff may want. This is the future that was guaranteed by the world moving almost all significant manufacturing to China in the 2000s. Chinese interests and Chinese preferences will now dominate our Western lived experiences in a thousand large and small ways for the foreseeable future.

VulcanGrey

Reaction score
Riiiight, on that magic 2nd production line that they don't have? They can barely make cars at an acceptable rate on a single model. Adding a 2nd will slow the process even further.

It's clearly a China-first company now, no matter what the rank and file UK staff may want. This is the future that was guaranteed by the world moving almost all significant manufacturing to China in the 2000s. Chinese interests and Chinese preferences will now dominate our Western lived experiences in a thousand large and small ways for the foreseeable future.
It may be because it's much easier to certify and release a product in China... The USA is much more difficult to release a car, the government regulations and emissions certifications are the most difficult in the world... The UK is also more paperwork now since they left the EU, all the certification paperwork changed for UKCA instead of CE Mark.

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The original announcement is Chinese. In order to make everyone understand, I used the photo translation function to translate the original text automatically. However, some position dislocation occurred when this software translated the text on the picture. :ROFLMAO: BTW, 7 new colours were also announced.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Are these Chinese i4 Emiras also first editions? If so, I wonder if that means non-Chinese cars, first editions or not, could theoretically also change colors after July production. We could be seeing the updated colors pretty soon.
Yes, FE edition. Here in China, we can choose change to one of 7 new colors or keep the first choice.

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps Matt could post the original, official Chinese language version here?

I assume that this will only have the LOTUS NYO logo properly printed (and no label pasted on top of the original logo).

How about it?

I posted the original one this morning. Haha.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
There's some truth in the sales focus on China. For the Lotus Technology investor presentation, they said their EV sales will be focused on the China > EU > UK markets and then US, due to expected EV market growth. Emira sales may be following that pattern to grow awareness in the markets.

0pirates0

Reaction score

just asked my sales person, as a Chinese buyer, i could change my exterior color to the 7 new colors(but will definitely lost my current place in the lane). However, I cannot change my spec anymore.
I want to change to the universe black color but i can't get rid of the original black series pack

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are a few things to consider regards China.
1. I don’t know the numbers but I’m pretty confident the I4 model is only a small proportion of the total sales in most markets. In China, due to the increased tax on higher displacement cars, it makes the V6 significantly more expensive than the I4, so I4 sales are the bulk of Emira sales. The V6 MT were offered for some time but I don’t believe many were sold and it’s only very recently that a few V6 MT Emira are here in China (several months after Europe/UK).
2. There has been a massive rollout of new dealers throughout China. Don’t know the numbers but it’s significant. These are dedicated dealers, it must have been a massive investment.
3. The Eletre are starting to be delivered to customers, there are several in each of the showrooms. I’m guessing they want to have Emiras around to help them sell more SUVs.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If Lotus in China tell their customers something to keep them onboard, I don’t see why it should upset the rest of the World. If China has more I4 sales, why wouldn’t the majority of new I4 production go there?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes, FE Emira is all that is or has been offered in China. The UK configurator also shows the new colours, so I’m guessing this is coming to all markets. Not sure of the specifics around changing colour, or if that will put you further down the production queue.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are a few things to consider regards China.
1. I don’t know the numbers but I’m pretty confident the I4 model is only a small proportion of the total sales in most markets. In China, due to the increased tax on higher displacement cars, it makes the V6 significantly more expensive than the I4, so I4 sales are the bulk of Emira sales. The V6 MT were offered for some time but I don’t believe many were sold and it’s only very recently that a few V6 MT Emira are here in China (several months after Europe/UK).
2. There has been a massive rollout of new dealers throughout China. Don’t know the numbers but it’s significant. These are dedicated dealers, it must have been a massive investment.
3. The Eletre are starting to be delivered to customers, there are several in each of the showrooms. I’m guessing they want to have Emiras around to help them sell more SUVs.
I ordered and paid initial deposit for an I4 FE RN summer 2021 immediately after it was announced. I paid entered a full contract, specced my car, and paid 10% of my market’s retail price in April 2022. I have now been told my I4 FE will be produced in November 2023, and that the delivery will be in early 2024.

The reality is that first I4 FE production was delayed (not only because of Covid and parts shortages) because the V6 cars were given priority. This means that others that ordered V6 cars after I placed my I4 order will receive their cars before me.

Now there is another reality; that Chinese customers for I4 cars will get priority delivery earlier than others (like me) have also ordered the same version of the Emira.

I am not writing this to complain, but simply to explain what the situation is. Maybe I wish that Japan’s Toyota had bought Lotus when they had an opportunity to do so (some years ago), and today it would have been Japan resident consumers who got priority?

Oh well! Will keep on soldering on and wait until my turn comes. At least I have no need to ask for change of color, since Dark Verdant with Tan interior is to me the best combination of “old” as well as “new” alternatives.

OP
Matt

Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I ordered and paid initial deposit for an I4 FE RN summer 2021 immediately after it was announced. I paid entered a full contract, specced my car, and paid 10% of my market’s retail price in April 2022. I have now been told my I4 FE will be produced in November 2023, and that the delivery will be in early 2024.

The reality is that first I4 FE production was delayed (not only because of Covid and parts shortages) because the V6 cars were given priority. This means that others that ordered V6 cars after I placed my I4 order will receive their cars before me.

Now there is another reality; that Chinese customers for I4 cars will get priority delivery earlier than others (like me) have also ordered the same version of the Emira.

I am not writing this to complain, but simply to explain what the situation is. Maybe I wish that Japan’s Toyota had bought Lotus when they had an opportunity to do so (some years ago), and today it would have been Japan resident consumers who got priority?

Oh well! Will keep on soldering on and wait until my turn comes. At least I have no need to ask for change of color, since Dark Verdant with Tan interior is to me the best combination of “old” as well as “new” alternatives.
TOYOTA have won 5 successive championships of Le Mans since 2018. I believe that if TOYOTA wants to build a mid engine sports car, it will be better than EMIRA.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Could be a new MR2, I suppose (and some rumors claim one is coming.). However, I do not think it will be intended to compete with Lotus Emira.

I personally am very happy with the Lotus Emira, and I prefer it with the (slightly) lighter M139 engine with a lower point of gravity. I think this version will show the true potential of the new Emira design, and it will be a truly enjoyable car to drive.

Curious if you, Matt, also have one on order? Enjoy!