Wonder if any cancellations after Test drives ???

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Watch the video of Gavan driving it around Hethel; you'll get over that dream right quick. Oh and wear headphones...

I think I'm traumatized from my Evora GT test drive. There was a lot of traffic and I couldn't really open it up. It felt kinda slow to me. Plus I always feel awkward test driving with a salesman riding shotgun. It did sound good though!

I think I'm used to the heavy hitting torque from my tuned turbo GTI. I've had turbo vehicles for years now and never owned a supercharged one. I guess the power is more linear and holds high up so it feels more smooth and stock like verse a tuned turbo vehicle with a bit of lag.

Unitronic-Stage1plus-20TSI-MQB-1.jpg

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think I'm traumatized from my Evora GT test drive. There was a lot of traffic and I couldn't really open it up. It felt kinda slow to me. Plus I always feel awkward test driving with a salesman riding shotgun. It did sound good though!

I think I'm used to the heavy hitting torque from my tuned turbo GTI. I've had turbo vehicles for years now and never owned a supercharged one. I guess the power is more linear and holds high up so it feels more smooth and stock like verse a tuned turbo vehicle with a bit of lag.

View attachment 3130
A turbo car will feel faster than non because of that kick in the pants feeling. It's like how older cars used to really load up the torque converter when downshifting, and kick you into the seat. Even an Astrovan could feel fast when it would downshift 😄

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago I was driving an Emira and it felt very visceral and connected to the road, like my old shifter kart I used to race at my local track. I woke up feeling excited about the car. I've never actually been in a Lotus in my life, but looking forward to it.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@VL3X you weren't wrong the Evora Gt is very slow. From the way it delivers power to how long the gearing is will definitely leave you wanting more if you are used to faster cars. Its not a fun highway car but where it shines are on backroads with constant switch backs. Realistically it needs at least another 100hp to balance with the chassis. But this isn't noticed as much on tighter sections. It comes down to where you will use the car and what your expectations of fast are. This will never get any ones attention with a 60-130 draggy time so make sure you weigh these things. Not everyone is happy getting dusted by a 45k BMW in their 6 figure car

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
@VL3X you weren't wrong the Evora Gt is very slow. From the way it delivers power to how long the gearing is will definitely leave you wanting more if you are used to faster cars. Its not a fun highway car but where it shines are on backroads with constant switch backs. Realistically it needs at least another 100hp to balance with the chassis. But this isn't noticed as much on tighter sections. It comes down to where you will use the car and what your expectations of fast are. This will never get any ones attention with a 60-130 draggy time so make sure you weigh these things. Not everyone is happy getting dusted by a 45k BMW in their 6 figure car
Yeah, I more worried about getting dusted by $20k GTIs and WRXs around town. Granted, I don't street race and not actually "worried" but it'd be nice to have some power to display places other than the track. Being in a $100k car that gets walked by sporty mass produced commuter cars owned by teenagers isn't very fun.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@VL3X realistically anything over 330 wheel hp and close to 3200 lbs will beat it due to gearing and power delivery ect

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We all know how fabulous the car looks but I still wonder if it will drive as good as it looks. I wonder if there will be any cancellations after test drives. I’ve never owned a Lotus but I know I with cars I have high expectations. I will only be spending £80k if this car puts a big smile on my face and is Fun to drive as will just be a w/e car for pure driving pleasure. After having BMW I8, Audi R8 and G80 M4 I’m finding it difficult to find a car that delivers this whilst not spending arm and leg. My last test drives of TTRS and new RS3 were all very underwhelming so really have my 🤞 that Emira delivers or sadly it will be another car I cross off the list and then I’ll maybe just go back to G80 M3 ( but don’t want a large car ) Anyone else have similar concerns ?
I'm obviously in a very different situation to you as I've owned multiple Lotus cars over 25 years. You say you've never owned a Lotus but have you ever driven a recent one? If you haven't (or only for a short test drive) then do try and find a recent Evora 410 or 400 to drive for an hour on a mixture of roads. It's obviously helpful to hear everyone's perspectives on here and there are decent YouTube reviews of the Evora 410/GT like Harry's Garage and Everyday Driver. But I think an Evora test drive will answer your concerns more directly.

I've been lucky to have driven a lot of cars in the £50-250k range, both on road and on track. When I bought my Evora I spent 3-4 months driving a lot of other sportscars, fast saloons and junior supercars in the Evora +/- £25k range (including new and used Porsche, Audi, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Jaguar). I was prepared to overlook the Evora's shortcomings in areas like interior and gadgets because it steers and handles so brilliantly. For me, that connection with the car and the road is a huge part of the enjoyment of a car. For other people there are other factors that are important, sometimes more so than the handling.

The Emira is going to move the Evora's handling up a step and address many of those other shortcomings. The Lotus tagline "For The Drivers" is very apt and if that's something you value highly in a car then I don't think you'll be disappointed.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
@VL3X realistically anything over 330 wheel hp and close to 3200 lbs will beat it due to gearing and power delivery ect

So we're basically playing $70-80k more for the exclusivity? But also trading off reliability, aftermarket support, and dealer network... :rolleyes:

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@VL3X Yes and that's why this car isn't for most people. I am a fan of the car but I think that will be the barrier to entry for most people. You have to be a huge fan of the positives to outweigh all the negatives, as with any car on sale because nothing is perfect. I'm likely going to put a bigger supercharger on it and a higher final drive. A 5 figure upgrade unfortunately. But I think we're all crazy about the looks and it no doubt will drive amazing.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Much better..... they are working on getting them right , they must of had 60+ EV seats..... was told, they are not happy with the stiching, yes hard shell backs
Would you say the shape of the production seats look more like the red seat poster on the wall inside the factory? I think Harry's Garage video shows it.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We all know how fabulous the car looks but I still wonder if it will drive as good as it looks. I wonder if there will be any cancellations after test drives. I’ve never owned a Lotus but I know I with cars I have high expectations. I will only be spending £80k if this car puts a big smile on my face and is Fun to drive as will just be a w/e car for pure driving pleasure. After having BMW I8, Audi R8 and G80 M4 I’m finding it difficult to find a car that delivers this whilst not spending arm and leg. My last test drives of TTRS and new RS3 were all very underwhelming so really have my 🤞 that Emira delivers or sadly it will be another car I cross off the list and then I’ll maybe just go back to G80 M3 ( but don’t want a large car ) Anyone else have similar concerns ?
I am not a Lotus fanboy, but after driving many nice and fast German cars, I wanted something with even more soul and character than BMW M and Porsches. I never found Audi's to have much soul, including the R8. I currently drive an Evora GT (yes, with an auto). I'm happy with it and looking forward to the Emria. If you value driving pleasure over HP, you will probably like Evora/Emira.

OP
BeHappy

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

View attachment 3130
Don’t like the sound of that “ it felt slow “ won’t be spending £80k on something that feels SLOW

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Don’t like the sound of that “ it felt slow “ won’t be spending £80k on something that feels SLOW
I find the feeling of slow is relative to the conditions and road though and how confident the car makes you feel in those conditions. I have no doubt the Emira will drive brilliantly on the twisty B roads around the Yorkshire Dales and Moors which i drive often. I have kept up with far faster cars in my daily, which is a BMW 330d XDrive touring, as the conditions and or the roads have favoured my car. On a damp day in the Peaks I comfortably out paced my friend in his 2018 V8 Vantage and in those conditions the pace didn't feel slow.
Hopefully the Emira won't disappoint you and if it does we will have to meet up anyhow and benchmark how slow it is against your alternative option. 👍😀👍

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

It depends what you're used to I guess. The Evora is by no means slow.. it's certainly fun and has a lot of top end power, but it didn't blow me away like driving a big engine exotic with 500+ HP. I remember the adrenaline I felt driving a V10 R8 and the Evora wasn't like that. I'm sure it's a blast in the tight circuit tracks and on-ramps will still be fun to blow past other cars, but it's not gonna give you that rush of a V10 or finely tuned turbocharged vehicle.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Completely agree.

Pound for pound (monetary, not weight) I don't think anything can compete.

Test drive will.just be confirmation.

My old Vantage too"
I feel the same about my Vantage - styling, build quality, performance, feel-good factor - will be hard to let it go! Great to see one in a brighter shade (unlike my meteorite silver) for a change, that blue looks incredible. We did the North coast 500 in it too, actually ended up being North Coast 1200!

Here it is au naturale on Harris and also with its war paint on when I was doing my British Heart Foundation fundraiser, "Spint for life"
Aston crop 08.jpg
Vantage on Harris.jpg

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I actually had a dream last night about driving an Emira and being extremely underwhelmed. It felt really slow and I couldn't even break the tires loose. The transmission felt sloppy and shifts unresponsive. The engine and exhaust were very muted too. Basically everything that could go wrong... I guess it was more of a nightmare. 😂
One for Dr. Freud! :ROFLMAO:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It must be very difficult to put a price on a car that won't get delivered for maybe 18 months, inflation is going up manufacturer's costs are going up even more, due to labour and material prices, if a base i4 is still 60k in 18 months time I will be amazed. If it is everything on the car will be additional options much like porsche that way they can offset the price cost and still say they have a 60k car?
Yep, the price of aluminium has more than doubled since the start of the pandemic, I'd like to see some of the "love something to moan about crew" factor that into a business plan, stay solvent and keep customers happy!

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Think there will be 2 cancellation points
1) When the V6 base and i4 info is released, if the V6 base is substantially cheap enough (and especially if you're at the tail end of the delivery times for FE) then delaying until you save some money, choose a different colour maybe and cherry pick what you really want to get the price point down 'might' be a reason to cancel an FE. (especially now the FE is actually an 80k car + finance costs)
2) Post test drive, for many, me included, the Emira is going to be the most expensive car they have or ever buy, if you regularly buy 100k cars then maybe you'll accept anything other than perfection, for me I need to know its the best car I can buy for the money and will make me very happy, Im lucky to have a Boxster Spyder for sunny days I do love to bits, if it gives me that feeling then winner.

I've always wanted a V8 Vantage but whenever I've driven a 4.3 it wasnt the car I wanted it to be, I dont think the Emira will be that but the expectations are very high!
My Vantage is a 4.7 and everything I've read says it is everything the 4.3 was supposed to be. Manual 'box, gun metal over black leather, sports pack including carbon fibre one piece seats - all the Aston 99% of people will ever need.

And yet, I am so excited to be swapping it for an Emira soon - what does that say about the Emira?!

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel.

What I can say is a f430 at this money, may be old... But it puts a HUGE grin on my face when I get in it! But I'm after modernity on the interior now.
Like you said... Porsches really hit the mark with that. If this is close then this will be sooooo great!
Must have been great to scratch that Ferrari itch! You've nailed it re the grin on the face thing - I think that is what a lot of us in in this for. Yes, like many others I'll go and get some coaching to be a better driver so I can get more out of what the Emira has to offer but I know that at 8 or even 5 tenths it will still put a huge grin on my face.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Funnily Enough i was thinking this last night, along with when are they going to be available for test drives?
I'mot not concerned by the noise or drive with going for the V6 - i know thats going to be a winner, for me its how it feels on the inside.

I have been a Lotus fan since childhood, grown up in Dad's Sunbeams/Eclats/Elites etc and then had an elise of my own, i was desperately eager to get back into the brand, but have been spoilt by the luxuries of Maserati, Aston Martin and Porsche Interiors over the years since, the Exige and Evora's were abit too "Tinny" for me (i know they are meant to be raw. personal preference).

As soon as i saw the Emira i put my deposit down (Launch day) , i finally thought that they had hit it perfectly with the Emira- Elegance,Style,and even Comfort and (partlially) luxury in the interior finally.

I've been to 2 reveals, sat in the car and whilst its a massive improvment, i flet there were still tacky points on the lower dash and it just didnt have that fine Porsche finish for example, HOWEVER - i realise that this was still on non production example and was not the finished result.

Hence i am holding out and still have faith that the finished products will be much better.

If these points are addressed in the test drive i shall be happy to continue with the order, in fairness it would take alot to push me away now, i mean - what would i go to in its place?
Mclaren? - expensive to run and maintain
Ferrari - always wanted one but at this level of money they are old
Lambo - agaon, Gallardo money, basic level, old interior.
Porsche? - Ive had 3 , great cars but there are too many on the road

Lotus it is for me, i just hope the seats and final finish are as good as i hope :)
Here is said Eclat! Can you imagine if we applied the pre-launch critique we are currently having to the eclat or elite?

"But which particular type of cheap nasty rubbing strip will they use to cover where the two halves where the body joins?"

"Will the faux wood be printed on plastic or metal?"

"I do hope both footwells let water in at exactly the same rate"

Poll: Which headlamp would you like to pop up first - left or right?

Poll, how many different keys will we have? 1, 2 or 3?

Okay, I am being flippant but really to show how far Lotus have come, from an admittedly low bar in some cases.

And I still loved my ratty old eclat despite everything, boy did that car handle.

20210330_074530.jpg
20210330_074715.jpg
20210330_074830.jpg
20210330_074942.jpg

daveparky84

Reaction score

Might end up with the opposite problem I think 🤔 … every car going for flappy paddles and hybrid / 2.0 turbos / full electric etc (Nothing wrong with these but everyone is doing it) I think the Emira V6 manual stands out. Especially with the new interior which looks like it will be an amazing place to sit it can only enhance what was already great about the Evora.