Wonder if any cancellations after Test drives ???

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The slight bhp drop of the Emira compared to the Evora GT is because the Emira has to meet worldwide emissions whereas the Evora GT was a US-specific tune.
I wonder if it's the same 416hp tune, but they are reporting/marketing a lower number? For example, BMW engines on paper say 400hp, but they feel faster than other 400hp cars with similar weight, and the numbers they put down suggest higher power than advertised.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira V6 FE will sound very similar - 3 cats and no particulate filter plus switched exhaust valve.

The slight bhp drop of the Emira compared to the Evora GT is because the Emira has to meet worldwide emissions whereas the Evora GT was a US-specific tune. But the Emira has a wider front track and better aero so real world on cross country roads I Do we know the differences yet between the Emira V6 and Evora GT?

I wonder if it's the same 416hp tune, but they are reporting/marketing a lower number? For example, BMW engines on paper say 400hp, but they feel faster than other 400hp cars with similar weight, and the numbers they put down suggest higher power than advertised.
Do we know what the engine differences are?

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's the same torque number as the the 416 so I think it's likely

daveparky84

Reaction score
It's the same torque number as the the 416 so I think it's likely

Ahh interesting 🤔 that would be great! I think the horsepower is great, Everyone so obsessed with 0-60 these days. 400hp allows you to properly drive it hard on the road and explore the whole range of the power. Once you go beyond 400-450 you’re probably not really pushing the car without it being becoming dangerous. Track is different story but it’s a road car. I’m happy with 400 personally. Not buying to win drag races here.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My guess is they went low on the published number just in case they weren't able to get what they wanted through homologation. There's also probably some poker playing going on with Porsche, since Lotus has made it clear they're aiming at the Cayman. Every video we've seen of anybody getting a ride in a test car at Hethel, the drivers have said they're still testing and developing the performance of the car. I have no doubt that Gavan and his team are going to give us as much power and performance as they're able to get to pass certification.

Remember, this is the target Lotus has said they're aiming at.

718 Cayman GTS.png

As you can see, 394 hp, 0-60 in 4.3s, and although it doesn't show in that graphic, the weight is 3,042 lbs. So the 'official' so far published numbers for the Emira are 400 hp, 0-60 in 4.3s, top speed of 180 mph, and the weight "in lightest form" is 3,097 lbs.

I doubt seriously Gavan (who is quite competitive) would be okay with being 'just as good' as the Cayman. They're going to want to be better, even if it's only slightly better. By now it's probably already done, and we'll see next month what the results are when the reviews start to come out.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it fair to say that we're at a point where buying a new performance car (of any kind) means you can never really test it, but can only rely on professional reviews?

Even before the pandemic hit, I couldn't find ANY BMW dealership that had an M2 Competition in stock for me to try out. They said it was "order only" and not a car they can move easily because 99% of buyers don't want a 2 door 6MT performance vehicle.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it fair to say that we're at a point where buying a new performance car (of any kind) means you can never really test it, but can only rely on professional reviews?

Even before the pandemic hit, I couldn't find ANY BMW dealership that had an M2 Competition in stock for me to try out. They said it was "order only" and not a car they can move easily because 99% of buyers don't want a 2 door 6MT performance vehicle.
I think its a "your local dealer" thing. The huge BMW dealers would have it in stock and would let your drive it.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think its a "your local dealer" thing. The huge BMW dealers would have it in stock and would let your drive it.
I'm not so sure about that. I went to a pretty wide variety of dealers across the country - BMW of Austin (TX), BMW of The Woodlands (TX), BMW of Manhattan (NYC), BMW of Brooklyn (NYC), BMW of Greenwich (CT).

None of them had one in stock, NOR did any of them have any allocations.

I ended up randomly finding BMW of Ridgefield (CT) who also didn't have one in stock BUT did have ONE allocation available, which I took.

Ronin

Reaction score
Funnily Enough i was thinking this last night, along with when are they going to be available for test drives?
I'mot not concerned by the noise or drive with going for the V6 - i know thats going to be a winner, for me its how it feels on the inside.

I have been a Lotus fan since childhood, grown up in Dad's Sunbeams/Eclats/Elites etc and then had an elise of my own, i was desperately eager to get back into the brand, but have been spoilt by the luxuries of Maserati, Aston Martin and Porsche Interiors over the years since, the Exige and Evora's were abit too "Tinny" for me (i know they are meant to be raw. personal preference).

As soon as i saw the Emira i put my deposit down (Launch day) , i finally thought that they had hit it perfectly with the Emira- Elegance,Style,and even Comfort and (partlially) luxury in the interior finally.

I've been to 2 reveals, sat in the car and whilst its a massive improvment, i flet there were still tacky points on the lower dash and it just didnt have that fine Porsche finish for example, HOWEVER - i realise that this was still on non production example and was not the finished result.

Hence i am holding out and still have faith that the finished products will be much better.

If these points are addressed in the test drive i shall be happy to continue with the order, in fairness it would take alot to push me away now, i mean - what would i go to in its place?
Mclaren? - expensive to run and maintain
Ferrari - always wanted one but at this level of money they are old
Lambo - agaon, Gallardo money, basic level, old interior.
Porsche? - Ive had 3 , great cars but there are too many on the road

Lotus it is for me, i just hope the seats and final finish are as good as i hope :)

I feel where you are coming from. For me, this would be the most expensive car I purchase so I would like the drive, looks, and interior to be top notch (for me anyway). Fortunately for me, I have never owned a Porsche so if the Lotus does not work out...I have a backup plan LOL.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I feel where you are coming from. For me, this would be the most expensive car I purchase so I would like the drive, looks, and interior to be top notch (for me anyway). Fortunately for me, I have never owned a Porsche so if the Lotus does not work out...I have a backup plan LOL.
I just parked up next to a Porsche, couldn't help but take a look inside the interior again...
Big expectations for the Emira

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My guess is they went low on the published number just in case they weren't able to get what they wanted through homologation. There's also probably some poker playing going on with Porsche, since Lotus has made it clear they're aiming at the Cayman. Every video we've seen of anybody getting a ride in a test car at Hethel, the drivers have said they're still testing and developing the performance of the car. I have no doubt that Gavan and his team are going to give us as much power and performance as they're able to get to pass certification.

Remember, this is the target Lotus has said they're aiming at.

View attachment 3271
As you can see, 394 hp, 0-60 in 4.3s, and although it doesn't show in that graphic, the weight is 3,042 lbs. So the 'official' so far published numbers for the Emira are 400 hp, 0-60 in 4.3s, top speed of 180 mph, and the weight "in lightest form" is 3,097 lbs.

I doubt seriously Gavan (who is quite competitive) would be okay with being 'just as good' as the Cayman. They're going to want to be better, even if it's only slightly better. By now it's probably already done, and we'll see next month what the results are when the reviews start to come out.
i am really into 718's and i can tell you that the 4.0 GTS weighs 3170 lbs with manual transmission. The Emira would be slightly less weight in its FE configuration. The 4.0 GTS with MT + 18 way seats would break 3200lbs. The FE has multidirection seats in it, and so the GTS 4.0 is probably 70 lbs heavier when configured similarly.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
i am really into 718's and i can tell you that the 4.0 GTS weighs 3170 lbs with manual transmission. The Emira would be slightly less weight in its FE configuration. The 4.0 GTS with MT + 18 way seats would break 3200lbs. The FE has multidirection seats in it, and so the GTS 4.0 is probably 70 lbs heavier when configured similarly.
That's interesting. Are those numbers with all fluids, or dry weight? Can't wait to see a head-to-head comparison which you know the magazine reviewers are going to do.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That's interesting. Are those numbers with all fluids, or dry weight? Can't wait to see a head-to-head comparison which you know the magazine reviewers are going to do.
i am pretty sure that is fluids filled numbers for 718, they do not do the dry weight thing as i have seen so far reading and talking about them

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ahh interesting 🤔 that would be great! I think the horsepower is great, Everyone so obsessed with 0-60 these days. 400hp allows you to properly drive it hard on the road and explore the whole range of the power. Once you go beyond 400-450 you’re probably not really pushing the car without it being becoming dangerous. Track is different story but it’s a road car. I’m happy with 400 personally. Not buying to win drag races here.
Yep, I had 505hp on my stock c6z06 and I never used it all on the street. 400 will be just fine for me..:)