Wonder if any cancellations after Test drives ???

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
We all know how fabulous the car looks but I still wonder if it will drive as good as it looks. I wonder if there will be any cancellations after test drives. I’ve never owned a Lotus but I know I with cars I have high expectations. I will only be spending £80k if this car puts a big smile on my face and is Fun to drive as will just be a w/e car for pure driving pleasure. After having BMW I8, Audi R8 and G80 M4 I’m finding it difficult to find a car that delivers this whilst not spending arm and leg. My last test drives of TTRS and new RS3 were all very underwhelming so really have my 🤞 that Emira delivers or sadly it will be another car I cross off the list and then I’ll maybe just go back to G80 M3 ( but don’t want a large car ) Anyone else have similar concerns ?

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Funnily Enough i was thinking this last night, along with when are they going to be available for test drives?
I'mot not concerned by the noise or drive with going for the V6 - i know thats going to be a winner, for me its how it feels on the inside.

I have been a Lotus fan since childhood, grown up in Dad's Sunbeams/Eclats/Elites etc and then had an elise of my own, i was desperately eager to get back into the brand, but have been spoilt by the luxuries of Maserati, Aston Martin and Porsche Interiors over the years since, the Exige and Evora's were abit too "Tinny" for me (i know they are meant to be raw. personal preference).

As soon as i saw the Emira i put my deposit down (Launch day) , i finally thought that they had hit it perfectly with the Emira- Elegance,Style,and even Comfort and (partlially) luxury in the interior finally.

I've been to 2 reveals, sat in the car and whilst its a massive improvment, i flet there were still tacky points on the lower dash and it just didnt have that fine Porsche finish for example, HOWEVER - i realise that this was still on non production example and was not the finished result.

Hence i am holding out and still have faith that the finished products will be much better.

If these points are addressed in the test drive i shall be happy to continue with the order, in fairness it would take alot to push me away now, i mean - what would i go to in its place?
Mclaren? - expensive to run and maintain
Ferrari - always wanted one but at this level of money they are old
Lambo - agaon, Gallardo money, basic level, old interior.
Porsche? - Ive had 3 , great cars but there are too many on the road

Lotus it is for me, i just hope the seats and final finish are as good as i hope :)

OP
BeHappy

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Funnily Enough i was thinking this last night, along with when are they going to be available for test drives?
I'mot not concerned by the noise or drive with going for the V6 - i know thats going to be a winner, for me its how it feels on the inside.

I have been a Lotus fan since childhood, grown up in Dad's Sunbeams/Eclats/Elites etc and then had an elise of my own, i was desperately eager to get back into the brand, but have been spoilt by the luxuries of Maserati, Aston Martin and Porsche Interiors over the years since, the Exige and Evora's were abit too "Tinny" for me (i know they are meant to be raw. personal preference).

As soon as i saw the Emira i put my deposit down (Launch day) , i finally thought that they had hit it perfectly with the Emira- Elegance,Style,and even Comfort and (partlially) luxury in the interior finally.

I've been to 2 reveals, sat in the car and whilst its a massive improvment, i flet there were still tacky points on the lower dash and it just didnt have that fine Porsche finish for example, HOWEVER - i realise that this was still on non production example and was not the finished result.

Hence i am holding out and still have faith that the finished products will be much better.

If these points are addressed in the test drive i shall be happy to continue with the order, in fairness it would take alot to push me away now, i mean - what would i go to in its place?

Lotus it is for me, i just hope the seats and final finish are as good as i hope :)
Great reply I think you’d feel special in these seats, think lotus should of gone bit more sporty with the seats

Attachments

• CB47C659-CE1A-4096-A6A6-1064EC033E60.jpeg
    CB47C659-CE1A-4096-A6A6-1064EC033E60.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 122

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great reply I think you’d feel special in these seats, think lotus should of gone bit more sporty with the seats
I think i've read somewhere that the lucky 4 that went to the factory recently saw the seats and confirmed they looked a lot better, with a hard back shell.

Probably not as lush as those seats you shared, but fingers crossed a much better improvment to those in the show car.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think i've read somewhere that the lucky 4 that went to the factory recently saw the seats and confirmed they looked a lot better, with a hard back shell.

Probably not as lush as those seats you shared, but fingers crossed a much better improvment to those in the show car.
Much better..... they are working on getting them right , they must of had 60+ EV seats..... was told, they are not happy with the stiching, yes hard shell backs

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

My gut feeling is none of us will be disappointed, quite the reverse. I can share pictures of my old eclat here if you wish - that will show off the Emira's quality in sharp contrast!

Agree with your comments on the other cars - all tempting but the Emira wins for all the reasons you've given. I'm selling my Vantage to part-fund the Emira - it doesn't have any of the shortcomings listed above (quite the reverse) but I've had a good 8 years out of it and the Emira was IRRESISTIBLE!

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My gut feeling is none of us will be disappointed, quite the reverse. I can share pictures of my old eclat here if you wish - that will show off the Emira's quality in sharp contrast!

Agree with your comments on the other cars - all tempting but the Emira wins for all the reasons you've given. I'm selling my Vantage to part-fund the Emira - it doesn't have any of the shortcomings listed above (quite the reverse) but I've had a good 8 years out of it and the Emira was IRRESISTIBLE!
Completely agree.

Pound for pound (monetary, not weight) I don't think anything can compete.

Test drive will.just be confirmation.

My old Vantage too"

Attachments

• IMG_9715.jpg
    IMG_9715.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9718.jpg
    IMG_9718.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 62

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have some niggling concerns about the car, especially the seats and the build quality of the early production run, but I have no doubt this thing is going to be an absolute belter to drive. Just look at the Evora: the car has its flaws, but it has a world class combination of ride, handling and steering feel, as well as that fantastic sounding V6. Given the huge development effort from Gavan and the dynamics team, and the Emira's wider tracks, I see no reason why the Emira shouldn't be a great drive, even allowing for the weight increase over the Evora. Whether is is also a great car to own only time will tell, but I am cautiously optimistic on that front too given the major focus Lotus seem to have on quality with the new factory.

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

This is exactly how I feel.

What I can say is a f430 at this money, may be old... But it puts a HUGE grin on my face when I get in it! But I'm after modernity on the interior now.
Like you said... Porsches really hit the mark with that. If this is close then this will be sooooo great!

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel.

What I can say is a f430 at this money, may be old... But it puts a HUGE grin on my face when I get in it! But I'm after modernity on the interior now.
Like you said... Porsches really hit the mark with that. If this is close then this will be sooooo great!
spot on!

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Same for me I've been spoilt with German fit and finish - having always swayed away from Porsches its been BMW's for me. I have lower expectations on the fit/finish quality inside but even on the pre-prod car i found it a good place to sit with very little low rent plastics to be found.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Think there will be 2 cancellation points
1) When the V6 base and i4 info is released, if the V6 base is substantially cheap enough (and especially if you're at the tail end of the delivery times for FE) then delaying until you save some money, choose a different colour maybe and cherry pick what you really want to get the price point down 'might' be a reason to cancel an FE. (especially now the FE is actually an 80k car + finance costs)
2) Post test drive, for many, me included, the Emira is going to be the most expensive car they have or ever buy, if you regularly buy 100k cars then maybe you'll accept anything other than perfection, for me I need to know its the best car I can buy for the money and will make me very happy, Im lucky to have a Boxster Spyder for sunny days I do love to bits, if it gives me that feeling then winner.

I've always wanted a V8 Vantage but whenever I've driven a 4.3 it wasnt the car I wanted it to be, I dont think the Emira will be that but the expectations are very high!

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Think there will be 2 cancellation points
1) When the V6 base and i4 info is released, if the V6 base is substantially cheap enough (and especially if you're at the tail end of the delivery times for FE) then delaying until you save some money, choose a different colour maybe and cherry pick what you really want to get the price point down 'might' be a reason to cancel an FE. (especially now the FE is actually an 80k car + finance costs)
2) Post test drive, for many, me included, the Emira is going to be the most expensive car they have or ever buy, if you regularly buy 100k cars then maybe you'll accept anything other than perfection, for me I need to know its the best car I can buy for the money and will make me very happy, Im lucky to have a Boxster Spyder for sunny days I do love to bits, if it gives me that feeling then winner.

I've always wanted a V8 Vantage but whenever I've driven a 4.3 it wasnt the car I wanted it to be, I dont think the Emira will be that but the expectations are very high!
Very valid points.

If the base version offers more flexibility and more customisation, it may have to come under consideration to cancel the FE for June and wait another year - but i still see the FE as some what of a bargain with all the add ons, i can see the V6 option being an option (saying that i cant think of what else i might want in addition to that from the base model).

The only other things extra i would consider are the caliper colours/seat colours/rear sensors (one of the packs then?)

Would that add up to the 18k on top? Maybe not... but the only question is: How long would i have to wait....again?

To fill this gap i would go for my alternate choice to the Emira - which is what you have - the Spyder :)
Out of interest - How do you find it?

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Very valid points.

If the base version offers more flexibility and more customisation, it may have to come under consideration to cancel the FE for June and wait another year - but i still see the FE as some what of a bargain with all the add ons, i can see the V6 option being an option (saying that i cant think of what else i might want in addition to that from the base model).

The only other things extra i would consider are the caliper colours/seat colours/rear sensors (one of the packs then?)

Would that add up to the 18k on top? Maybe not... but the only question is: How long would i have to wait....again?

To fill this gap i would go for my alternate choice to the Emira - which is what you have - the Spyder :)
Out of interest - How do you find it?
It will be interesting to see how much on an FE saving we are getting!

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect I'm in the minority on this forum, as I am returning to owning a true sports car after many years away. I have owned several Audis and have thoroughly enjoyed them, but this is going to be a different world for me. I am impressed (and a bit envious) by the breadth and depth of sports car ownership experience across this group, but it has been so helpful to me to hear the different perspectives and to benefit from all of your collective knowledge (and strong opinions!) To me the Emira is a dream come true and I cannot believe my luck in the timing of its arrival with my life stage and ability to acquire a car of this type.

I had been contemplating the typical Caymans and such, but Lotus has always had a special place in my heart going back to the Elans and early Esprits I used to love back in the day. The Emira represents to me the realization of a lifelong dream. There is something special about a British spots car that cannot be replicated by others. It is less about ownership and more like a relationship. Like any strong relationship, it has its ups and downs, frustrations and quirks. It sounds odd, but I recall fondly some of the quirks of owning my first Triumph as much as I remember the joys or driving.

I admire the discerning nature that many of you exhibit and your desire for the Lotus and the Emira to achieve near-perfection - especially as it is their last ICE. For me, they have captured lightning in a bottle and if it drives, sounds and runs even half as good as it looks it is going to be one of the great joys of my life to own this very special and unique car.

I will be submitting my order within 10 seconds of my number coming up. See you on the road! :)

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It must be very difficult to put a price on a car that won't get delivered for maybe 18 months, inflation is going up manufacturer's costs are going up even more, due to labour and material prices, if a base i4 is still 60k in 18 months time I will be amazed. If it is everything on the car will be additional options much like porsche that way they can offset the price cost and still say they have a 60k car?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually had a dream last night about driving an Emira and being extremely underwhelmed. It felt really slow and I couldn't even break the tires loose. The transmission felt sloppy and shifts unresponsive. The engine and exhaust were very muted too. Basically everything that could go wrong... I guess it was more of a nightmare. 😂

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I actually had a dream last night about driving an Emira and being extremely underwhelmed. It felt really slow and I couldn't even break the tires loose. The transmission felt sloppy and shifts unresponsive. The engine and exhaust were very muted too. Basically everything that could go wrong... I guess it was more of a nightmare. 😂
or perhaps it was Porsches dream :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Watch the video of Gavan driving it around Hethel; you'll get over that dream right quick. Oh and wear headphones...